Re: [wpmac] Nice group

  • villars@hamptons.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2007
      Obviously this isn't about wordperfect but Safari on my MacMini
      (10.30.9) keeps crashing. I called apple tech support twice today. did
      not have to pay for the initial ins ructions of going here and there
      and trashing Cache and trashing apple.com.safari and doing something
      else, but even after paying for instructions the second time, Safari
      still crashes.'
      am at a complete loss what to do now.
      Nancy Hyden Woodward

      On Oct 5, 2007, at 11:27 AM, Douglas Bouley wrote:

      > May I add my belated agreement?
      >
      > I was away from this group for awhile, tho' still running WP on my
      > PB17 under Classic. I just got a new MacBook Pro and came back here
      > to "struggle" with the Sheepshaver solution. I am most impressed with
      > how much of a struggle that turned out NOT to be! I d/l'd the info
      > from the Forum, got the pre-made file and was up and running in just
      > a few minutes.
      >
      > Thank-you all, but especially thank-you to John. I can't imagine
      > where the WPMac community would be without you, sir.
      >
      > Doug
      > Washington, DC
      >
      > On Sep 28, 2007, at 08:53 , tbgibson wrote:
      >
      >> This is totally off-topic and feel free to delete this (and of course,
      >> there's not need to follow up), but this is the nicest group I've seen
      >> in a long time. Helpful, friendly, nice. A group of people I wouldn't
      >> mind knowing in the "real world."
      >>

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://www.woodwarddirect.com
    • Thomas Briant
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 6, 2007
        Nancy:

        Did you try repairing your permissions? Repairing permissions solves
        a lot of problems.

        Go to /Applications/Utilities and start up Disk Utility

        Single click on the named hard disk. If you left it at default, it's
        Macintosh HD.

        You'll see a set of three buttons on your screen. To the left First
        Aid. In the Middle is Erase. To the right is Restore.

        Make sure that First Aid is highlighted. It should have a blue
        background.

        Now click on Repair Disk Permissions. Sit back and watch the screen.

        When it's done, it'll say Permissions Repair complete.

        Exit Disk Utility and try Safari now.

        Two other steps:

        I would suggest you download and install Firefox 2 as your backup
        browser. It's always good to have another browser installed for these
        kind
        of emergencies. Firefox also works with some Web sites that Safari
        has trouble with. Go to www.mozilla.com to find it.

        I would suggest you download and install Applejack 1.4.3. Applejack
        is a free utility that works in Apple Single-User mode to clean up
        messes on your Mac. It repairs your disk, cleans your cache and
        preference files. It's at http://applejack.sourceforge.net

        Tell us how it went.

        Tom Briant

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 6, 2007
          Thank you, Tom. Am going to do what you suggested in the a.m.
          (Naturally, I meant to write OS 10.3.9, not OS 10.30.9 in my e-mail. )
          Nancy

          http://www.eyeonthehamptons.net

        • Randy B. Singer
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 7, 2007
            On Saturday Oct 6, 2007, at 12:49 PM, villars@... wrote:

            > am at a complete loss what to do now.

            This is off topic for this list. If you would like me to recommend a
            nice general Macintosh discussion list, just let me know, preferably
            in private e-mail.

            I recommend that you run all of the routine maintenance suggested at:

            Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
            http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

            Chances are good that will fix the problem. If it doesn't fix the
            problem, as least we will have a baseline for further troubleshooting.

            Randy B. Singer