Re: [wpmac] Adobe to buy Word Processing Program "Buzzword"

  • Bill Bossart
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
      I’ve found some hints too, including a Mac icon among others. Don’t
      have the URL but found it through Google.
      On Oct 1, 2007, at 7:19 PM, Ed Gould wrote:

      > On Oct 1, 2007, at 11:32 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:
      >

      >> On Sunday Sep 30, 2007, at 9:16 PM, Ed Gould wrote:
      >>
      >>> This hopefully will be ported to mac.
      >>
      >> I don't see why it would be, if Adobe doesn't even consider the Mac
      >> worthy of a version of FrameMaker, their existing word processing/
      >> publishing program.
      >> Randy,
      >
      > I have a friend while not an insider he manages to keep up with Adobe
      > "rumors" and he told me that there was mention of Buzzword being
      > ported. I did a quick google search and found some hints that sort of
      > confirm (but not directly) it. I know you are an expert in a lot of
      > areas.
      >
      > Ed
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Bill Bossart
      whbossart@...
    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
        On Tuesday Oct 2, 2007, at 12:23 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

        > Otherwise I would expect their products
        > to be Mac-only.

        Sorry, I meant Windows-only.

        Randy B. Singer

        Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
          Anyone who takes two minutes actually to *look* at the Buzzword site,
          even without access to the beta version of the software, can find out
          that Buzzword *already* works with Firefox and Safari on the Mac, and
          that the latest beta also officially supports Safari 3.

          So Buzzword (1) isn't Windows-only and (2) doesn't need to be "ported"
          to the Mac because it *already* runs on the Mac. (It uses Flash, not
          the operating system, as its platform). Again, all this is clearly
          visible on the Buzzword blog and forums.
        • Randy B. Singer
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
            On Tuesday Oct 2, 2007, at 7:25 AM, Edward Mendelson wrote:

            > Anyone who takes two minutes actually to *look* at the Buzzword site,
            > even without access to the beta version of the software, can find out
            > that Buzzword *already* works with Firefox and Safari on the Mac, and
            > that the latest beta also officially supports Safari 3.
            >
            > So Buzzword (1) isn't Windows-only and (2) doesn't need to be "ported"
            > to the Mac because it *already* runs on the Mac. (It uses Flash, not
            > the operating system, as its platform).

            Okay, I looked. Just like the other online word processors that I've
            seen, not only does this not look like a WordPerfect/Mac replacement,
            but it doesn't even look like it could replace OS X's included TextEdit.

            There may be more to come as the product is further developed, but as
            it is now it is good for writing letters to grandma with, and not
            much else. You couldn't use it to write a scientific paper, or a
            legal brief.