Re: [wpmac] Adobe to buy Word Processing Program "Buzzword"

  • Bill Bossart
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
      I’ve found some hints too, including a Mac icon among others. Don’t
      have the URL but found it through Google.
      On Oct 1, 2007, at 7:19 PM, Ed Gould wrote:

      > On Oct 1, 2007, at 11:32 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:
      >

      >> On Sunday Sep 30, 2007, at 9:16 PM, Ed Gould wrote:
      >>
      >>> This hopefully will be ported to mac.
      >>
      >> I don't see why it would be, if Adobe doesn't even consider the Mac
      >> worthy of a version of FrameMaker, their existing word processing/
      >> publishing program.
      >> Randy,
      >
      > I have a friend while not an insider he manages to keep up with Adobe
      > "rumors" and he told me that there was mention of Buzzword being
      > ported. I did a quick google search and found some hints that sort of
      > confirm (but not directly) it. I know you are an expert in a lot of
      > areas.
      >
      > Ed
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Bill Bossart
      whbossart@...
    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
        On Monday Oct 1, 2007, at 10:12 AM, Ed Gould wrote:

        > I don't keep track of Adobe all that much. My impression was that
        > they were a Mac supporter. I see they SEEM to keep their Mac programs
        > reasonably up to date. I am just hoping for another viable
        > alternative to WORD as obviously WP is dead.

        Adobe has sort of a tempestuous relationship with Apple and the
        Macintosh. Adobe sells a number of desktop and other sorts of
        publishing tools, which means that the Macintosh is a natural market
        for many/most of their products. A couple of decades ago Adobe was
        a strong ally of Apple's. Apple licensed Postscript from Adobe for
        use in their LaserWriter laser printer and some would tell you that
        put the Macintosh on the map with the desktop publishing revolution.
        But later Apple tried to undercut Postscript with its own TrueType,
        and Apple even sold TrueType to Microsoft for use in Windows. I'm
        sure that didn't endear Apple to Adobe.

        With each major change in Apple technology (OS classic to OS X,
        PowerPC to Intel) Adobe has been one of the biggest stragglers.

        FrameMaker is the premier word-processing product for publishing long
        and/or technical documents, a natural for the Mac. Adobe dropped the
        Mac version a few years ago. Apple still uses FrameMaker internally,
        I understand, to create help manuals.

        So, I wouldn't call Adobe a "Mac supporter." I think that they will
        make a Mac version of their products if they think that they will
        make a lot of money on them. Otherwise I would expect their products
        to be Mac-only.

        Randy B. Singer

        Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      • Randy B. Singer
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
          On Tuesday Oct 2, 2007, at 12:23 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

          > Otherwise I would expect their products
          > to be Mac-only.

          Sorry, I meant Windows-only.

          Randy B. Singer

          Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
          http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
        • Edward Mendelson
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
            Anyone who takes two minutes actually to *look* at the Buzzword site,
            even without access to the beta version of the software, can find out
            that Buzzword *already* works with Firefox and Safari on the Mac, and
            that the latest beta also officially supports Safari 3.

            So Buzzword (1) isn't Windows-only and (2) doesn't need to be "ported"
            to the Mac because it *already* runs on the Mac. (It uses Flash, not
            the operating system, as its platform). Again, all this is clearly
            visible on the Buzzword blog and forums.
          • Randy B. Singer
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
              On Tuesday Oct 2, 2007, at 7:25 AM, Edward Mendelson wrote:

              > Anyone who takes two minutes actually to *look* at the Buzzword site,
              > even without access to the beta version of the software, can find out
              > that Buzzword *already* works with Firefox and Safari on the Mac, and
              > that the latest beta also officially supports Safari 3.
              >
              > So Buzzword (1) isn't Windows-only and (2) doesn't need to be "ported"
              > to the Mac because it *already* runs on the Mac. (It uses Flash, not
              > the operating system, as its platform).

              Okay, I looked. Just like the other online word processors that I've
              seen, not only does this not look like a WordPerfect/Mac replacement,
              but it doesn't even look like it could replace OS X's included TextEdit.

              There may be more to come as the product is further developed, but as
              it is now it is good for writing letters to grandma with, and not
              much else. You couldn't use it to write a scientific paper, or a
              legal brief.