Re: [wpmac] Adobe to buy Word Processing Program "Buzzword"

  • Randy B. Singer
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
      On Sunday Sep 30, 2007, at 9:16 PM, Ed Gould wrote:

      > This hopefully will be ported to mac.

      I don't see why it would be, if Adobe doesn't even consider the Mac
      worthy of a version of FrameMaker, their existing word processing/
      publishing program.

      Randy B. Singer

      Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
    • Ed Gould
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
        On Oct 1, 2007, at 11:32 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

        > On Sunday Sep 30, 2007, at 9:16 PM, Ed Gould wrote:
        >
        > > This hopefully will be ported to mac.
        >
        > I don't see why it would be, if Adobe doesn't even consider the Mac
        > worthy of a version of FrameMaker, their existing word processing/
        > publishing program.

        Randy,

        I don't keep track of Adobe all that much. My impression was that
        they were a Mac supporter. I see they SEEM to keep their Mac programs
        reasonably up to date. I am just hoping for another viable
        alternative to WORD as obviously WP is dead.

        Ed
      • RBRoufberg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
          In a message dated 10/1/07 9:27:54 PM, edgould1948@... writes:

          > I am just hoping for another viable
          > alternative to WORD as obviously WP is dead.

          Not to those of us who still love it and couldn't get along without "reveal
          codes."

          Ruth R.

        • Ed Gould
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
            On Oct 1, 2007, at 8:33 PM, RBRoufberg@... wrote:

            > In a message dated 10/1/07 9:27:54 PM, edgould1948@... writes:
            >
            > > I am just hoping for another viable
            > > alternative to WORD as obviously WP is dead.
            > >
            > Not to those of us who still love it and couldn't get along without
            > "reveal
            > codes."

            Well, the writing is on the wall. If you want to continue on using it
            there will be jury rig after jury rig to get it to keep working.
            I agree that reveal codes is the best thing since sliced bread (as
            the saying goes) but sooner or later you will have to face reality. I
            really agree with everyones stance that WP is great but even the
            great must be retired sooner or later.

            Ed
          • Ed Gould
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
              On Oct 1, 2007, at 11:32 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

              > On Sunday Sep 30, 2007, at 9:16 PM, Ed Gould wrote:
              >
              > > This hopefully will be ported to mac.
              >
              > I don't see why it would be, if Adobe doesn't even consider the Mac
              > worthy of a version of FrameMaker, their existing word processing/
              > publishing program.
              > Randy,

              I have a friend while not an insider he manages to keep up with Adobe
              "rumors" and he told me that there was mention of Buzzword being
              ported. I did a quick google search and found some hints that sort of
              confirm (but not directly) it. I know you are an expert in a lot of
              areas.

              Ed
            • Bill Bossart
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
                I’ve found some hints too, including a Mac icon among others. Don’t
                have the URL but found it through Google.
                On Oct 1, 2007, at 7:19 PM, Ed Gould wrote:

                > On Oct 1, 2007, at 11:32 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:
                >

                >> On Sunday Sep 30, 2007, at 9:16 PM, Ed Gould wrote:
                >>
                >>> This hopefully will be ported to mac.
                >>
                >> I don't see why it would be, if Adobe doesn't even consider the Mac
                >> worthy of a version of FrameMaker, their existing word processing/
                >> publishing program.
                >> Randy,
                >
                > I have a friend while not an insider he manages to keep up with Adobe
                > "rumors" and he told me that there was mention of Buzzword being
                > ported. I did a quick google search and found some hints that sort of
                > confirm (but not directly) it. I know you are an expert in a lot of
                > areas.
                >
                > Ed
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                Bill Bossart
                whbossart@...
              • Randy B. Singer
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
                  On Monday Oct 1, 2007, at 10:12 AM, Ed Gould wrote:

                  > I don't keep track of Adobe all that much. My impression was that
                  > they were a Mac supporter. I see they SEEM to keep their Mac programs
                  > reasonably up to date. I am just hoping for another viable
                  > alternative to WORD as obviously WP is dead.

                  Adobe has sort of a tempestuous relationship with Apple and the
                  Macintosh. Adobe sells a number of desktop and other sorts of
                  publishing tools, which means that the Macintosh is a natural market
                  for many/most of their products. A couple of decades ago Adobe was
                  a strong ally of Apple's. Apple licensed Postscript from Adobe for
                  use in their LaserWriter laser printer and some would tell you that
                  put the Macintosh on the map with the desktop publishing revolution.
                  But later Apple tried to undercut Postscript with its own TrueType,
                  and Apple even sold TrueType to Microsoft for use in Windows. I'm
                  sure that didn't endear Apple to Adobe.

                  With each major change in Apple technology (OS classic to OS X,
                  PowerPC to Intel) Adobe has been one of the biggest stragglers.

                  FrameMaker is the premier word-processing product for publishing long
                  and/or technical documents, a natural for the Mac. Adobe dropped the
                  Mac version a few years ago. Apple still uses FrameMaker internally,
                  I understand, to create help manuals.

                  So, I wouldn't call Adobe a "Mac supporter." I think that they will
                  make a Mac version of their products if they think that they will
                  make a lot of money on them. Otherwise I would expect their products
                  to be Mac-only.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
                    On Tuesday Oct 2, 2007, at 12:23 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

                    > Otherwise I would expect their products
                    > to be Mac-only.

                    Sorry, I meant Windows-only.

                    Randy B. Singer

                    Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                    http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
                  • Edward Mendelson
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
                      Anyone who takes two minutes actually to *look* at the Buzzword site,
                      even without access to the beta version of the software, can find out
                      that Buzzword *already* works with Firefox and Safari on the Mac, and
                      that the latest beta also officially supports Safari 3.

                      So Buzzword (1) isn't Windows-only and (2) doesn't need to be "ported"
                      to the Mac because it *already* runs on the Mac. (It uses Flash, not
                      the operating system, as its platform). Again, all this is clearly
                      visible on the Buzzword blog and forums.
                    • Randy B. Singer
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
                        On Tuesday Oct 2, 2007, at 7:25 AM, Edward Mendelson wrote:

                        > Anyone who takes two minutes actually to *look* at the Buzzword site,
                        > even without access to the beta version of the software, can find out
                        > that Buzzword *already* works with Firefox and Safari on the Mac, and
                        > that the latest beta also officially supports Safari 3.
                        >
                        > So Buzzword (1) isn't Windows-only and (2) doesn't need to be "ported"
                        > to the Mac because it *already* runs on the Mac. (It uses Flash, not
                        > the operating system, as its platform).

                        Okay, I looked. Just like the other online word processors that I've
                        seen, not only does this not look like a WordPerfect/Mac replacement,
                        but it doesn't even look like it could replace OS X's included TextEdit.

                        There may be more to come as the product is further developed, but as
                        it is now it is good for writing letters to grandma with, and not
                        much else. You couldn't use it to write a scientific paper, or a
                        legal brief.