Adobe to buy Word Processing Program "Buzzword"

  • Ed Gould
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 30 9:16 PM
      This hopefully will be ported to mac.

      Ed
      ----------------------
      Adobe to acquire word processor maker Buzzword

      Mon Oct 1, 2007 12:01am EDT

      By Eric Auchard

      SAN FRANCISCO, Sept 30 (Reuters) - Adobe Systems Inc (ADBE.O: Quote,
      Profile, Research) plans to acquire Virtual Ubiquity, makers of
      Buzzword, an innovative word processor, in a surprise move that
      competes with Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) and
      Google Inc (GOOG.O: Quote, Profile, Research).

      Adobe, a major supplier of business publishing software and design
      tools, is looking to a team of former Lotus application developers to
      enable the hundreds of millions of users of Adobe Acrobat software to
      work together publishing shared documents.

      The terms of the deal were not disclosed.

      Buzzword, one of a new class of rich Internet applications (RIA), was
      built by an 11-member team in Waltham, Massachusetts, who helped
      create the 1980s-era Manuscript, Lotus's second program created after
      its ground-breaking 1-2-3 spreadsheet.

      "We were looking for a technology to create a modern word processor,"
      Erik Larson, Adobe's director of marketing and product management.
      "The problem of collaborating on documents is not solved and we think
      we can solve it."

      Melissa Webster, an analyst with market research firm IDC, said many
      people's initial reaction to design tools maker Adobe entering the
      word processing market will be: "What? Adobe?"

      "The industry knows Adobe for its creative tools. We don't think of
      Adobe in the category of enterprise software vendors that might be
      going after Microsoft Office," Webster said.

      The software marks a radical break with document-centric publishing
      by letting users collaborate on shared documents and allowing
      individual users to save data or format changes online.

      It is an early example of Adobe's AIR software that works both online
      and offline on computer desktops. Buzzword features high-quality
      typography, advanced graphic capabilities and page-layout controls
      that text editors on the Web all lack.

      Adobe executives said Buzzword could help raise consumer expectations
      about what is possible using word-processors, a category of software
      that has changed little in 20 years.

      Word, a main component of Microsoft's Office suite of business
      productivity applications, has long dominated the market for word
      processors. Full of features, Word is aimed at desktop computer
      users. Microsoft is considering making an online word processor
      available via its Microsoft Works line.

      Last year, Google introduced Google Docs, an online word processor
      that allows people to write and edit shared documents. But so far,
      the application focuses on basic tasks for small groups of individuals.

      ThinkFree, a unit of South Korea's Haansoft Inc (030520.KQ: Quote,
      Profile, Research), offers a word processor as part of a suite of
      tools that works online and offline. Zimbra, which Yahoo Inc (YHOO.O:
      Quote, Profile, Research) recently acquired, also competes here. IBM
      (IBM.N: Quote, Profile, Research) recently introduced an online word
      processor as part of its Lotus Symphony suite of business
      productivity applications.

      "Buzzword looks the same whether it is running in a Web browser or as
      a desktop application," IDC's Webster said of how Buzzword can work
      whether or not a user is online or offline, in their office, or
      disconnected while traveling on an airplane.

      "Google doesn't solve this problem. Microsoft doesn't solve this
      problem. IBM doesn't solve it."

      In a related move, Adobe has set up a new file-sharing service to its
      existing line of online document services. Codenamed "Share," the new
      Adobe service lets people share, publish and organize documents online.

      Users select the documents they want to share, send a message to
      recipients and determine whether to let their files be publicly
      accessible or restricted.

      Adobe officials declined to spell out how the company plans to
      distribute Buzzword, but said it will eventually be tied to its
      document management software used widely in business.

      "We have a lot of opportunity to expose a lot of people to Buzzword
      very quickly," Larson said when asked if Adobe would build the word
      processor into Adobe Acrobat document control software or its related
      PDF document management format. "We are definitely going to integrate
      Buzzword into PDF workflows."

      The acquisition is expected to close by the end of November. Adobe
      said the Virtual Ubiquity deal is not expected to have a material
      impact on its results in fiscal 2007. The founders of Virtual
      Ubiquity have agreed to join Adobe.

      Users will be able to import or export documents from rival word
      processor programs into Buzzword. Buzzword allows users of Internet
      Explorer, Firefox or Apple Safari browser software to simultaneously
      collaborate on the same document. Document creators can set
      permissions for who edits any document.

    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
        On Sunday Sep 30, 2007, at 9:16 PM, Ed Gould wrote:

        > This hopefully will be ported to mac.

        I don't see why it would be, if Adobe doesn't even consider the Mac
        worthy of a version of FrameMaker, their existing word processing/
        publishing program.

        Randy B. Singer

        Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      • Ed Gould
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
          On Oct 1, 2007, at 11:32 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

          > On Sunday Sep 30, 2007, at 9:16 PM, Ed Gould wrote:
          >
          > > This hopefully will be ported to mac.
          >
          > I don't see why it would be, if Adobe doesn't even consider the Mac
          > worthy of a version of FrameMaker, their existing word processing/
          > publishing program.

          Randy,

          I don't keep track of Adobe all that much. My impression was that
          they were a Mac supporter. I see they SEEM to keep their Mac programs
          reasonably up to date. I am just hoping for another viable
          alternative to WORD as obviously WP is dead.

          Ed
        • RBRoufberg@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
            In a message dated 10/1/07 9:27:54 PM, edgould1948@... writes:

            > I am just hoping for another viable
            > alternative to WORD as obviously WP is dead.

            Not to those of us who still love it and couldn't get along without "reveal
            codes."

            Ruth R.

          • Ed Gould
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
              On Oct 1, 2007, at 8:33 PM, RBRoufberg@... wrote:

              > In a message dated 10/1/07 9:27:54 PM, edgould1948@... writes:
              >
              > > I am just hoping for another viable
              > > alternative to WORD as obviously WP is dead.
              > >
              > Not to those of us who still love it and couldn't get along without
              > "reveal
              > codes."

              Well, the writing is on the wall. If you want to continue on using it
              there will be jury rig after jury rig to get it to keep working.
              I agree that reveal codes is the best thing since sliced bread (as
              the saying goes) but sooner or later you will have to face reality. I
              really agree with everyones stance that WP is great but even the
              great must be retired sooner or later.

              Ed
            • Ed Gould
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
                On Oct 1, 2007, at 11:32 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

                > On Sunday Sep 30, 2007, at 9:16 PM, Ed Gould wrote:
                >
                > > This hopefully will be ported to mac.
                >
                > I don't see why it would be, if Adobe doesn't even consider the Mac
                > worthy of a version of FrameMaker, their existing word processing/
                > publishing program.
                > Randy,

                I have a friend while not an insider he manages to keep up with Adobe
                "rumors" and he told me that there was mention of Buzzword being
                ported. I did a quick google search and found some hints that sort of
                confirm (but not directly) it. I know you are an expert in a lot of
                areas.

                Ed
              • Bill Bossart
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 1, 2007
                  I’ve found some hints too, including a Mac icon among others. Don’t
                  have the URL but found it through Google.
                  On Oct 1, 2007, at 7:19 PM, Ed Gould wrote:

                  > On Oct 1, 2007, at 11:32 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:
                  >

                  >> On Sunday Sep 30, 2007, at 9:16 PM, Ed Gould wrote:
                  >>
                  >>> This hopefully will be ported to mac.
                  >>
                  >> I don't see why it would be, if Adobe doesn't even consider the Mac
                  >> worthy of a version of FrameMaker, their existing word processing/
                  >> publishing program.
                  >> Randy,
                  >
                  > I have a friend while not an insider he manages to keep up with Adobe
                  > "rumors" and he told me that there was mention of Buzzword being
                  > ported. I did a quick google search and found some hints that sort of
                  > confirm (but not directly) it. I know you are an expert in a lot of
                  > areas.
                  >
                  > Ed
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Bill Bossart
                  whbossart@...
                • Randy B. Singer
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
                    On Monday Oct 1, 2007, at 10:12 AM, Ed Gould wrote:

                    > I don't keep track of Adobe all that much. My impression was that
                    > they were a Mac supporter. I see they SEEM to keep their Mac programs
                    > reasonably up to date. I am just hoping for another viable
                    > alternative to WORD as obviously WP is dead.

                    Adobe has sort of a tempestuous relationship with Apple and the
                    Macintosh. Adobe sells a number of desktop and other sorts of
                    publishing tools, which means that the Macintosh is a natural market
                    for many/most of their products. A couple of decades ago Adobe was
                    a strong ally of Apple's. Apple licensed Postscript from Adobe for
                    use in their LaserWriter laser printer and some would tell you that
                    put the Macintosh on the map with the desktop publishing revolution.
                    But later Apple tried to undercut Postscript with its own TrueType,
                    and Apple even sold TrueType to Microsoft for use in Windows. I'm
                    sure that didn't endear Apple to Adobe.

                    With each major change in Apple technology (OS classic to OS X,
                    PowerPC to Intel) Adobe has been one of the biggest stragglers.

                    FrameMaker is the premier word-processing product for publishing long
                    and/or technical documents, a natural for the Mac. Adobe dropped the
                    Mac version a few years ago. Apple still uses FrameMaker internally,
                    I understand, to create help manuals.

                    So, I wouldn't call Adobe a "Mac supporter." I think that they will
                    make a Mac version of their products if they think that they will
                    make a lot of money on them. Otherwise I would expect their products
                    to be Mac-only.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
                      On Tuesday Oct 2, 2007, at 12:23 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

                      > Otherwise I would expect their products
                      > to be Mac-only.

                      Sorry, I meant Windows-only.

                      Randy B. Singer

                      Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
                      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
                    • Edward Mendelson
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
                        Anyone who takes two minutes actually to *look* at the Buzzword site,
                        even without access to the beta version of the software, can find out
                        that Buzzword *already* works with Firefox and Safari on the Mac, and
                        that the latest beta also officially supports Safari 3.

                        So Buzzword (1) isn't Windows-only and (2) doesn't need to be "ported"
                        to the Mac because it *already* runs on the Mac. (It uses Flash, not
                        the operating system, as its platform). Again, all this is clearly
                        visible on the Buzzword blog and forums.
                      • Randy B. Singer
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 2, 2007
                          On Tuesday Oct 2, 2007, at 7:25 AM, Edward Mendelson wrote:

                          > Anyone who takes two minutes actually to *look* at the Buzzword site,
                          > even without access to the beta version of the software, can find out
                          > that Buzzword *already* works with Firefox and Safari on the Mac, and
                          > that the latest beta also officially supports Safari 3.
                          >
                          > So Buzzword (1) isn't Windows-only and (2) doesn't need to be "ported"
                          > to the Mac because it *already* runs on the Mac. (It uses Flash, not
                          > the operating system, as its platform).

                          Okay, I looked. Just like the other online word processors that I've
                          seen, not only does this not look like a WordPerfect/Mac replacement,
                          but it doesn't even look like it could replace OS X's included TextEdit.

                          There may be more to come as the product is further developed, but as
                          it is now it is good for writing letters to grandma with, and not
                          much else. You couldn't use it to write a scientific paper, or a
                          legal brief.