Re: [wpmac] Copying stuff to Home Folder [from SheepShaver]

  • George B. Richardson
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29 11:38 AM
      After my initial optimistic response, I tried to open SheepShaver,
      and it couldn't start up [blinking question mark].

      Here's what I had done:

      1. Before starting up SheepShaver, I opened the SheepShaver folder in
      my Home Folder and double clicked on the SheepShaver HD. It didn't
      open and indicated no application was associated with it.
      2. I added the suffix <.dmg> to the SheepShaver HD and it then
      mounted just fine.
      3. I copied the folder that I was after: data only, no applications
      4. I ejected the SheepShaver disk image
      5. I opened SheepShaver, the application, and it couldn't find the
      OS. Just had the grey screen and blinking question mark at start up.
      I had to Force Quit SheepShaver.
      6. I copied the SheepShaver Folder, with the modified disk image in
      it, to an external HD and copied the unmodified SheepShaver HD from a
      back up into the SheepShaver Folder in my Home Folder.
      7. I deleted the modified disk image from my Home Folder, SheepShaver
      opened just fine.

      8. Later:
      a. I shut down SheepShaver and remounted the external HD
      b. deleted the <.dmg> suffix from the modified disk image on the external HD
      c. copied the modified disk image back to my SheepShaver folder in my
      Home Folder
      c. copied the unmodified SheepShaver HD to an external drive
      d. deleted the unmodified SheepShaver HD from my SheepShaver folder
      in my Home folder
      e. ejected the external drive, and
      f. Started up SheepShaver from the modified SheepShaver disk image:
      Result: SheepShaver could not find the system

      Therefore: I can't copy stuff to or from the SheepShaver HD in its
      natural state.

      I found a work around to get stuff copied off of the SheepShaver HD
      [but not deleted from or copied to the SheepShaver HD]: On my OS X
      desktop, I duplicate the SheepShaver HD, add the <.dmg> suffix and
      open up the disk image. While this is okay, I still feel that there
      must be a better solution or I'm doing something wrong.

      Further info: on the SheepShaver desktop, I have both the SheepShaver
      HD and the UNIX HD. I cannot copy the data that I want to copy from
      the SheepShaver desktop into the UNIX HD w/o getting an error
      message. When I try to copy the same type of data from the UNIX HD, I
      get an error message that it is in use, which, as far as I know, is
      not true.

      Any help in figuring out how to copy to and from the SheepShaver HD
      would be appreciated.

      Sorry to be more a taker than a receiver on this list. I am pretty
      much out of my element with SheepShaver and running classic on an
      Intel machine.

      Thanks for all the help so far.
      George Richardson
    • jamie_fillmore
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 30 8:39 AM
        Do I understand correctly that you would like to be able to
        access a folder in your Home directory (ie, files in a
        folder in your Home directory)?

        If so, using the "Unix HD" approach you mentioned towards
        the end of your post seems the closest/simplest way to get
        what you want... (once it's working properly). So, I'm
        inclined to look at that problem first because, for
        example, I access a folder that's in my Home directory
        from within Sheepsaver and/or WordPerfect. I can access and
        use the files just fine on either the OS9 side and the OS
        X side. And that sounds similar to what you'd like to
        do.

        What error message are you getting when you try to copy
        from the SS desktop to the Unix HD?

        Are you logged in as the Administrator for your Mac OS X?
        (Sometimes things get goofed up regarding permissions if
        not).

        Are you able to save a file from within WP to the Unix HD?
        (eg, open WP in SS create a file and Save As... navigate
        to "Unix" and save). If not, do you get any error
        messages?

        If you are able to save to that spot... reverse the
        process... type a test page in TextEdit or some such on
        the Mac OS X side... save it as a text file... and put it
        in your "Documents" folder in the Mac OS X side. (I'm
        assuming you used the default setup when you set up
        Sheepsaver... in which case, the thing referred to as
        "Unix" on the OS9/WP side is actually your "Documents"
        folder on the Mac OS X side.) From within OS9 you should be
        able to navigate to the newly created test text file and
        from within WP you should be able to import it.

        If those things aren't working, we need to figure out why
        (let me/us know what errors you're getting). At the risk of
        sounding like one of those annoying phone tech support
        people, I would suggest starting with a fresh copy/install
        of the SS-WP.zip package. Since it's a relatively small
        download/install, hopefully that's not too painful. If it
        does let you open/save files as described above, you
        shouldn't need to reinstall anything.

        Once that's working we can pick up your alias idea.
        Specifically, make an alias of the folder you wish to
        access (which I believe is currently in your Home
        directory) and place that alias in the Documents folder
        (which, again, should be the directory that appears when
        you open "Unix" on the OS9 side). Then items you put in the
        folder in your Home folder will be available to the
        SS/OS9/WP world (via the alias) and items you save to that
        folder (through the alias) will be accessible from Mac OS
        X.

        As an example, I just made an alias of the "Library" folder
        (tried to pick one that just about every Home directory
        would have)... and put a text file in there. From within
        SS/OS9 if I open Unix HD the alias appears and
        double-clicking on it reveals the enclosed items (including
        the text file) and from within WordPerfect, I can open that
        text file.

        Depending on where in the above things are getting stymied
        and for what reasons, we'll have to sort it out... but if
        that's the gist of what you want to be able to do, it's
        do-able.

        If I've totally missed the mark, my apologies. (That'll
        teach a NKOTB to chime in within a week of joining the
        group.)

        Best,