Re: Using another 0s 9 program on sheepshaver

  • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28 2:38 PM
      George and Ron, I can attest to the ease with which either files or
      application installers can be transferred to OS 8 or 9 on SheepShaver
      (SS) by following Tom B.'s instructions. I've used his method many
      times, especially for moving large amounts of stuff.

      The only snag I've run into was if I forgot to dismount (eject) the SS
      disk image from OSX before starting up SS. This would corrupt the disk.
      (I use the OSX Finder's Duplicate command, command-D, to make backup
      copies of the SS disk image from time to time just in case.) I wonder
      if there is a way (AppleScript?) to program a warning dialog box
      whenever one tries to open the disk image in one system when it is
      already open in the other (or am I the only one absent-minded enough to
      be at risk for such a goof??)?

      More often, though, I move or copy files and even installers to the
      file-sharing folder (designated as "Unix root" in the SS GUI or SS
      Prefs). I have successfully run software installers right from there,
      without copying them onto the SS disk itself. Another advantage of this
      is that it works on the fly; you do not have to shut down SS. You might
      have to close the Unix folder in SS, then reopen it, for the newly added
      files to show up. I generally keep my work on that folder these days,
      saving my 1G SS disk for the system (OS 8.6 works well for me), program
      files, and utilities.

      There are three utilities to make visible again files or (especially)
      folders that SS has rendered invisible: Kilometre Browser in OSX (works
      on the file-sharing or Unix folder, and on the SS disk image when you
      open it in OSX, in the links section of the Yahoo site), and in OS 8-9:
      Invisible File Copier 1.0 (http://www.tucows.com/preview/207055) or the
      Change Visibility contextual menu item from Alsoft. When I emailed
      Alsoft about their old but still very convenient contextual menu item,
      they replied that they would try to make the download again available
      from their site, but, checking the site now, I cannot find it. I will
      need to email them again.

      HTH. Tom R.

      Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
      Licensed Clinical Psychologist