OT but another alternative

  • Ed Gould
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 19, 2007
      IBM has come up with a replacement called symphoney at:

      . It is also open source. Check it out here: http://
      porting.openoffice.org/mac/download/index.html

      The only "gotcha" is that it needs X11 installed (a separate task)

      Its in BETA release so don't expect miracles ,

      I have not played around with it too much but it does seem to work.

      Ed
    • thomasbriant
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 19, 2007
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Ed Gould <edgould1948@...> wrote:

        > IBM has come up with a replacement called symphoney at:
        >
        > . It is also open source. Check it out here: http://
        > porting.openoffice.org/mac/download/index.html
        >
        > The only "gotcha" is that it needs X11 installed (a separate task)
        >
        > Its in BETA release so don't expect miracles ,
        >
        > I have not played around with it too much but it does seem to work.
        >
        > Ed

        Ed:

        The URL you gave is for the OpenOffice Mac port, not IBM's Lotus
        Symphony for Mac. That's for the future.

        The OpenOffice port for the Mac works fine. It's just not that pretty
        under X11 as it would be under Aqua.

        OpenOffice is working on an Aqua port, but only has a VERY preliminary
        alpha version up at this time.

        The important thing about IBM announcement, IMHO, is that IBM will put
        full-time programmers with access to coffee during working hours and
        maybe even a health plan.

        Does IBM provide its programmers with health coverage?

        Tom Briant
      • Ed Gould
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 20, 2007
          On Sep 20, 2007, at 12:10 AM, thomasbriant wrote:

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Ed Gould <edgould1948@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > IBM has come up with a replacement called symphoney at:
          > >
          > > . It is also open source. Check it out here: http://
          > > porting.openoffice.org/mac/download/index.html
          > >
          > > The only "gotcha" is that it needs X11 installed (a separate task)
          > >
          > > Its in BETA release so don't expect miracles ,
          > >
          > > I have not played around with it too much but it does seem to work.
          > >
          > > Ed
          > >

          > Ed:
          >
          > The URL you gave is for the OpenOffice Mac port, not IBM's Lotus
          > Symphony for Mac. That's for the future.

          The URL I gave allowed me to download a MAC version of the program.
          As far as I can see the rest of the product is not yet MAC.
          I played with the product for a bit but do not have(claim) it is
          anywhere close to WP.

          > The OpenOffice port for the Mac works fine. It's just not that pretty
          > under X11 as it would be under Aqua.
          >
          > OpenOffice is working on an Aqua port, but only has a VERY preliminary
          > alpha version up at this time.
          >
          > The important thing about IBM announcement, IMHO, is that IBM will put
          > full-time programmers with access to coffee during working hours and
          > maybe even a health plan.
          I am hearing that this is a rewrite of LOTUS product line. LOTUS was
          bought out by IBM in the 80's(?).
          IBM is a fairly good employer. Decent health plan and other decent
          benefits. I know that IBM is trying to screw its retirees by cutting
          back benefits that people worked so long and hard for. At one time
          IBM was probably the best employer to work for in the US, now they
          lay people off by the hundreds or one rumor put it at thousands). I
          am really mixed about the new IBM. I own shares in IBM so any opinion
          I have is influenced by that. Some people will tell you I am an IBM
          basher.

          > Does IBM provide its programmers with health coverage?

          See above.

          Ed

          > Tom Briant

        • Ed Gould
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 20, 2007
            Here is a cut down FAQ (written by an IBMer):

            The Lotus Symphony FAQ list, posted on IBM's web site, indicates that a
            Macintosh version is coming soon. Which makes sense because Lotus
            Notes 8
            is not yet available for the Mac -- IBM is still working on finishing
            it --
            so presumably the two will debut at the same time.

            Yes, the new Lotus Symphony uses Open Document Format and is compatible
            with other ODF products, including Open Office, NeoOffice, and Abiword.
            That shouldn't be a great surprise because Lotus Symphony is based on
            Open
            Office. As someone else noted, Lotus Symphony can also handle many
            other
            formats, including Lotus formats like WordPro (.LWP) and 1-2-3. To my
            knowledge Lotus Symphony is the only way to handle WordPro files on
            Linux
            (and soon Mac), so this is quite exciting to many people.

            Lotus Notes 8 includes Lotus Symphony, but you still have to buy Lotus
            Notes. Lotus Symphony on its own is a free download for everyone and
            should be quite useful for many people requiring office productivity
            functions. It is not intended as a replacement for Microsoft Office for
            all users -- not yet, anyway. But many people should find it quite
            sufficient, obviously very affordable, and strategically important
            because
            of ODF.

            Lotus Symphony is available for download here:

            http://symphony.lotus.com
          • Steve Kane
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 20, 2007
              On Sep 20, 2007, at 12:10 AM, thomasbriant wrote:

              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Ed Gould <edgould1948@...>
              > wrote:
              >>
              >> IBM has come up with a replacement called symphoney at:
              >>
              >> . It is also open source. Check it out here: http://
              >> porting.openoffice.org/mac/download/index.html
              >>
              >> The only "gotcha" is that it needs X11 installed (a separate task)
              >>
              >> Its in BETA release so don't expect miracles ,
              >>
              >> I have not played around with it too much but it does seem to work.
              >>
              >> Ed
              >>

              > Ed:
              >
              > The URL you gave is for the OpenOffice Mac port, not IBM's Lotus
              > Symphony for Mac. That's for the future.

              Here is a story on Lotus Symphony:

              <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/19/
              ibm_office_symphony_open_source/>

              Here is a url at IBM's site regarding Lotus Symphony:

              <http://symphony.lotus.com/software/lotus/symphony/home.jspa>

              As Ed says, there is not yet a Mac version.
            • Paolo Tramannoni
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 20, 2007
                > OpenOffice is working on an Aqua port, but only has a VERY preliminary
                > alpha version up at this time.

                A working Aqua port of OpenOffice is NeoOffice:

                http://www.neooffice.org

                Paolo