[wpmac] Re: WordPerfect for Mac

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 18, 2007
      John

      Thanks for this.

      >> it's stable
      >> and doesn't "eat" files/folders from the 'Unix disk' (Is there
      >> anything one should do after installing a new Sheepshaver, such as
      >> delete the old Prefs file from the previous version?).
      >
      >Never hurts to delete a Prefs file (for that matter, it's a good idea to
      >replace WP's prefs file every six months, from the backup you made
      >right after trashing the old prefs file, starting WP and setting prefs
      >as you like them).
      >
      >The easiest way to delete SS's invisible prefs file is with EasyFind, a
      >great free utility at http://www.devon-technologies.com/. Have it
      >look for invisible files, look for ".sheepshaver_prefs" at the root
      >level of your home folder, select it in EasyFind's list, and use
      >EasyFind's File > Move to Trash command.
      >
      >To set prefs again, you'll find that SheepShaverPrefs.zip, in
      >Files > SheepShaver here, is more convenient to use than
      >SheepShaverGUI.
      >
      >John R.
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Dave Galey
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
        I am a newbie with the Mac
        I have been a Windows guy for nearly 30 years and I am trying to
        migrate to the Mac

        I have a dual processor G5, (NOT an INTEL) with OS X 5.1 Leopard

        I am trying to load and use WordPerfect 3.5e
        I have downloaded SheepShaver

        I have not had any luck loading WP

        I have also purchased a copy of OS 9.2 but am not able to load it either

        Any suggestion would be helpful
        I hate the idea of using WORD

        Dave Galey
        Author/Engineer
        www.winlockgaley.com
        dave@...
      • Thomas Briant
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
          Dave:

          I have 4 suggestions for you.

          1. Download and install John Rethorst's pre-built installation of
          Sheepshaver and Word Perfect 3.5e from the files area of this
          WordPerfect group. The name of the file is "SS-WP.zip" and it's 243
          megabytes in size. Unzip it, read the instructions, run the
          installation script, and do the rest of the steps necessary to install
          it. In twenty minutes you should have WordPerfect up and running.

          2. As for the copy of OS 9.2, it won't work with Sheepshaver.
          Sheepshaver only works with OS 7.5.2 through 9.0.4. I'd save the 9.2
          disk, install a second hard drive in your G5, and install OS X 10.4,
          which is the last version of OS X to support the Classic OS and then
          install OS 9.2. You can boot between the two hard drives.

          3. As for the issue "I need a word processor/office suite other than
          Word/Office that works on a G5 Mac right now!", I would suggest
          Neooffice 2.2.2. Go to www.neooffice.org and download the PowerPC
          version. It also comes in an Intel version, which you don't want. It's
          donation-ware. Neooffice is an enhanced derivative of the StarOffice/
          OpenOffice office suite seen on Windows and LInux systems.

          4. http://sally.neooffice.org/neojava_userguide/
          NeoOffice_User_Guide.pdf is the Web address for the user guide to
          Neooffice.

          Tom Briant