WordPerfect for Mac

  • Peggy
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 16, 2007
      I'm an avid WP fan and user on the pc. I'm seriously considering
      purchasing my first mac laptop and since I love WP and found this
      group, I was wondering where do I purchase it? It isn't on the Corel
      website. I am planning to purchase parallel or fusion or something to
      run Windows on the mac for those programs that don't come in mac that I
      think I have to have. Is WP one of those?

      Thanks for any advice/input. Since I haven't purchased the mac yet,
      I'd be delighted on any help there as well. I know I want the
      macbookpro. I use Photoshop and Painter. Other than that, I don't
      know what I want or need.

      Thanks.

      Peggy
    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 16, 2007
        On Sunday Sep 16, 2007, at 8:01 PM, Peggy wrote:

        > I'm an avid WP fan and user on the pc. I'm seriously considering
        > purchasing my first mac laptop and since I love WP and found this
        > group, I was wondering where do I purchase it? It isn't on the Corel
        > website. I am planning to purchase parallel or fusion or something to
        > run Windows on the mac for those programs that don't come in mac
        > that I
        > think I have to have. Is WP one of those?

        The Macintosh version of WordPerfect was discontinued many years
        ago. It was never updated to be OS X compatible. You can still find
        a free copy of that old version of WP/Mac to download from the
        Internet, but to run it on an Intel-based Mac you would need a copy
        of an older version of the Mac OS and the free program SheepShaver to
        allow you to run that older OS. All are available for download from
        the files section of this group. This is a kludge that works, but
        not entirely seamlessly.

        That old version of WP/Mac is not exactly like the Windows version.
        So, it might be best, if you are attached to the Windows version of
        WP, to run it using Parallels or Boot Camp on your Mac. Or you might
        want to consider using one of the many Macintosh-native word
        processors, some of which are very nice and can be downloaded for free:
        http://www.emailman.com/software/wordproc/mac.html

        > Thanks for any advice/input. Since I haven't purchased the mac yet,
        > I'd be delighted on any help there as well. I know I want the
        > macbookpro. I use Photoshop and Painter. Other than that, I don't
        > know what I want or need.

        Well, both Photoshop and Painter come in Macintosh versions. What
        else do you need to know?

        I can recommend a very nice general interest Macintosh discussion
        list for you to join, if you like. One that is very friendly to
        Macintosh newbies.

        Randy B. Singer

        Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      • Peggy Eubanks
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 16, 2007
          I'd love to know the name of the newbie group. Thanks. I'll just get the
          newest WP and run it using parallel or fusion. Thanks for that also.

          On 9/16/07, Randy B. Singer <randy@...> wrote:

          > On Sunday Sep 16, 2007, at 8:01 PM, Peggy wrote:
          >
          > > I'm an avid WP fan and user on the pc. I'm seriously considering
          > > purchasing my first mac laptop and since I love WP and found this
          > > group, I was wondering where do I purchase it? It isn't on the Corel
          > > website. I am planning to purchase parallel or fusion or something to
          > > run Windows on the mac for those programs that don't come in mac
          > > that I
          > > think I have to have. Is WP one of those?
          >
          > The Macintosh version of WordPerfect was discontinued many years
          > ago. It was never updated to be OS X compatible. You can still find
          > a free copy of that old version of WP/Mac to download from the
          > Internet, but to run it on an Intel-based Mac you would need a copy
          > of an older version of the Mac OS and the free program SheepShaver to
          > allow you to run that older OS. All are available for download from
          > the files section of this group. This is a kludge that works, but
          > not entirely seamlessly.
          >
          > That old version of WP/Mac is not exactly like the Windows version.
          > So, it might be best, if you are attached to the Windows version of
          > WP, to run it using Parallels or Boot Camp on your Mac. Or you might
          > want to consider using one of the many Macintosh-native word
          > processors, some of which are very nice and can be downloaded for free:
          > http://www.emailman.com/software/wordproc/mac.html
          >
          > > Thanks for any advice/input. Since I haven't purchased the mac yet,
          > > I'd be delighted on any help there as well. I know I want the
          > > macbookpro. I use Photoshop and Painter. Other than that, I don't
          > > know what I want or need.
          >
          > Well, both Photoshop and Painter come in Macintosh versions. What
          > else do you need to know?
          >
          > I can recommend a very nice general interest Macintosh discussion
          > list for you to join, if you like. One that is very friendly to
          > Macintosh newbies.

          > Randy B. Singer
          > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
          >
          > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
          > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

          peggy.eubanks@...

          "It's not enough to have lived. We should be determined to live for
          something." -- Leo Buscaglia

          "Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even
          if everyone is for it." -- William Penn

          If you do not stand firm in your faith, you will not stand at all. Isaiah
          7:9 NIV

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 17, 2007
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...> wrote:

            > [SheepShaver] is a kludge that works, but
            > not entirely seamlessly.

            Could you elaborate on that? SheepShaver sure exceeded my
            expectations. It's simply a Classic OS window on your OSX Mac.
            WordPerfect runs as fast, including printing, as in Classic on
            PPC, as far as I can see.

            > That old version of WP/Mac is not exactly like the Windows version.

            I'd say it's quite different. The OP might want to try WPMac
            and SheepShaver - free, as you said - and if it doesn't meet
            her needs, she could then buy WP for Windows and Parallels.

            John R.
          • Randy B. Singer
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 17, 2007
              On Monday Sep 17, 2007, at 10:30 PM, John Rethorst wrote:

              > > [SheepShaver] is a kludge that works, but
              > > not entirely seamlessly.
              >
              > Could you elaborate on that? SheepShaver sure exceeded my
              > expectations. It's simply a Classic OS window on your OSX Mac.
              > WordPerfect runs as fast, including printing, as in Classic on
              > PPC, as far as I can see.

              I didn't say that there was anything wrong with SheepShaver, or that
              it wasn't a wonderful product.

              What I said was that it isn't entirely seamless. One only has to
              read the posts on the topic of Sheepshaver in this very forum to see
              that.

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 17, 2007
                John

                While we're on the topic of Sheepshaver, the most recent upgrade has
                issues with printing - it crashes in such a way that Mac OS X does
                not even offer me the option of Close/Reopen/Report. I'm back to the
                very first Sheepshaver that you distributed as part of the WP bundle
                - you may have to aim to the right with the cursor, but it's stable
                and doesn't "eat" files/folders from the 'Unix disk' (Is there
                anything one should do after installing a new Sheepshaver, such as
                delete the old Prefs file from the previous version?). Oh, and for
                the sake of balance, Parallels has its moments, too.

                Geoff

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 18, 2007

                  > it's stable
                  > and doesn't "eat" files/folders from the 'Unix disk' (Is there
                  > anything one should do after installing a new Sheepshaver, such as
                  > delete the old Prefs file from the previous version?).

                  Never hurts to delete a Prefs file (for that matter, it's a good idea to
                  replace WP's prefs file every six months, from the backup you made
                  right after trashing the old prefs file, starting WP and setting prefs
                  as you like them).

                  The easiest way to delete SS's invisible prefs file is with EasyFind, a
                  great free utility at http://www.devon-technologies.com/. Have it
                  look for invisible files, look for ".sheepshaver_prefs" at the root
                  level of your home folder, select it in EasyFind's list, and use
                  EasyFind's File > Move to Trash command.

                  To set prefs again, you'll find that SheepShaverPrefs.zip, in
                  Files > SheepShaver here, is more convenient to use than
                  SheepShaverGUI.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 18, 2007
                    John

                    Thanks for this.

                    >> it's stable
                    >> and doesn't "eat" files/folders from the 'Unix disk' (Is there
                    >> anything one should do after installing a new Sheepshaver, such as
                    >> delete the old Prefs file from the previous version?).
                    >
                    >Never hurts to delete a Prefs file (for that matter, it's a good idea to
                    >replace WP's prefs file every six months, from the backup you made
                    >right after trashing the old prefs file, starting WP and setting prefs
                    >as you like them).
                    >
                    >The easiest way to delete SS's invisible prefs file is with EasyFind, a
                    >great free utility at http://www.devon-technologies.com/. Have it
                    >look for invisible files, look for ".sheepshaver_prefs" at the root
                    >level of your home folder, select it in EasyFind's list, and use
                    >EasyFind's File > Move to Trash command.
                    >
                    >To set prefs again, you'll find that SheepShaverPrefs.zip, in
                    >Files > SheepShaver here, is more convenient to use than
                    >SheepShaverGUI.
                    >
                    >John R.
                    >

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Dave Galey
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
                      I am a newbie with the Mac
                      I have been a Windows guy for nearly 30 years and I am trying to
                      migrate to the Mac

                      I have a dual processor G5, (NOT an INTEL) with OS X 5.1 Leopard

                      I am trying to load and use WordPerfect 3.5e
                      I have downloaded SheepShaver

                      I have not had any luck loading WP

                      I have also purchased a copy of OS 9.2 but am not able to load it either

                      Any suggestion would be helpful
                      I hate the idea of using WORD

                      Dave Galey
                      Author/Engineer
                      www.winlockgaley.com
                      dave@...
                    • Thomas Briant
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 3, 2008
                        Dave:

                        I have 4 suggestions for you.

                        1. Download and install John Rethorst's pre-built installation of
                        Sheepshaver and Word Perfect 3.5e from the files area of this
                        WordPerfect group. The name of the file is "SS-WP.zip" and it's 243
                        megabytes in size. Unzip it, read the instructions, run the
                        installation script, and do the rest of the steps necessary to install
                        it. In twenty minutes you should have WordPerfect up and running.

                        2. As for the copy of OS 9.2, it won't work with Sheepshaver.
                        Sheepshaver only works with OS 7.5.2 through 9.0.4. I'd save the 9.2
                        disk, install a second hard drive in your G5, and install OS X 10.4,
                        which is the last version of OS X to support the Classic OS and then
                        install OS 9.2. You can boot between the two hard drives.

                        3. As for the issue "I need a word processor/office suite other than
                        Word/Office that works on a G5 Mac right now!", I would suggest
                        Neooffice 2.2.2. Go to www.neooffice.org and download the PowerPC
                        version. It also comes in an Intel version, which you don't want. It's
                        donation-ware. Neooffice is an enhanced derivative of the StarOffice/
                        OpenOffice office suite seen on Windows and LInux systems.

                        4. http://sally.neooffice.org/neojava_userguide/
                        NeoOffice_User_Guide.pdf is the Web address for the user guide to
                        Neooffice.

                        Tom Briant