Re: Time for a new petition?

  • Paolo Tramannoni
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 12, 2007
      Ok, here is an amended version. Apart for further content's
      suggestions, any rewriting in something different than my Immigrant
      English would be welcome.

      -----

      Dear Corel,

      Years ago, you decided to dismiss WordPerfect for Mac. With the
      growing market share Apple has been gaining during the following
      years, maybe it is time to rethink that decision. Several users are
      still writing with the old version of WP, and more will be conquered
      by the winning features of a Mac OS X version over all the competitors.

      Some users are indeed forced to use WordPerfect, due to the lack of a
      good alternative legal document processor on the Mac. Some Courts, in
      the USA, explicitly request for the WordPerfect format. A high - and
      growing - number of law offices use Macs.

      We would be happy to pay for a renewed version, that builds on the old
      one, preserving the same clean interface and rich set of well laid out
      features. This would help us overcome the lack of really advanced,
      modern word processors on the Mac:

      - Microsoft Word and its clone OpenOffice/NeoOffice are powerful, but
      with a cluttered interface; MS Word is also well known for the total
      lack of reliability with medium-to-long documents, while OO Writer is
      plague with extreme sluggishness.

      - Apple Pages just misses the target, with some interesting advanced
      feature, and missing basic tools. Plus, it is not a lightspeed when
      dealing with long documents.

      - Nisus Writer Pro is starting to be an advanced program, but still in
      its infancy, and not very responsive with long documents. Despite the
      high number of features, it is still not on a par with WordPerfect,
      and its user interfance might not be the preffered by many of us.

      - Mellel is an elegant piece of software under many aspects – for
      example in the way fonts are displayed – but far from Mac conventions,
      with an involuted style management system, and still lacking several
      important features.

      Mac OS X already includes several widegets for text editing. Founding
      the new WP on them should make the development time rather short, as
      seen by the many minor word processing applications out there.

      So we renew our request for a new version of WordPerfect for Mac, and
      will be happy to buy it as soon as it is out.

      The Undersigned