Re: [wpmac] Time for a new petition?

  • Phillip Jones, CET
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 8, 2007
      Before this is sent. Are we even sure that Corel even know its floating
      around.

      I know Corel put it out as freeware for a limited time but so far as I
      know its only still on servers for this newsgroup.

      If they find out could bring up a lawsuit.

      I'd like WordPerfect to come out for Mac. But perhaps much of paragraph
      one should be there. We need opinion of our resident Lawyers first.

      Paolo Tramannoni wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > with Mac's market share still raising, I think we could try to send
      > Corel a new petition. Unless there is something already on the go, I
      > would suggest something like the text below. May you let me know your
      > opinion?
      >
      > Paolo
      >
      > ------------
      >
      > Dear Corel,
      >
      > Years ago, you decided to dismiss WordPerfect for Mac. While regular
      > license owners might complain for this move, we prefer to thank you
      > for giving version 3.5 away for free. Several users are still writing
      > their important works with WP 3.5 for Mac today � one of the best
      > pieces of freeware around!
      >
      > Despite the free availability of version 3.5, we would be happy to pay
      > for a renewed version, that builds on the old one, preserving the same
      > clean interface and rich set of well laid out features. Not only
      > running the old version has become a bit tricky, but there is also a
      > concern for the lack of really advanced, modern word processors on the
      > Mac:
      >
      > - Microsoft Word and its clone OpenOffice/NeoOffice are powerful, but
      > with a cluttered interface; MS Word is also well known for the total
      > lack of reliability with medium-to-long documents, while OO Writer is
      > plague with extreme sluggishness.
      >
      > - Apple Pages just misses the target, with some interesting advanced
      > feature, and missing basic tools. Plus, it is not a lightspeed when
      > dealing with long documents.
      >
      > - Nisus Writer Pro is starting to be an advanced program, but still in
      > its infancy, and not very responsive with long documents. Despite the
      > high number of features, it is still not on a par with WordPerfect,
      > and its user interfance might not be the preffered by many of us.
      >
      > - Mellel is an elegant piece of software under many aspects � for
      > example in the way fonts are displayed � but far from Mac conventions,
      > with an involuted style management system, and still lacking several
      > important features.
      >
      > Mac OS X already includes several widegets for text editing. Founding
      > the new WP on them should make the development time rather short, as
      > seen by the many minor word processing applications out there.
      >
      > So we renew our request for a new version of WordPerfect for Mac, and
      > will be happy to buy it as soon as it is out.
      >
      > The Undersigned

      Phillip M. Jones, CET |MEMBER:VPEA (LIFE) ETA-I, NESDA,ISCET, Sterling

      If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

      mailto:pjones@...

      <http://www.vpea.org>
    • Tracy Gromer
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 8, 2007
        You might point out that some of us cannot use Macs solely because they cannot run WordPerfect. As an attorney, my firm has been using WordPerfect for more than 20 years and the District Court in Arizona actually requires all documents to be filed in WordPerfect. I bought a Mac, which I love, but could not use it for my work. I had to go buy a separate PC for work, since the Mac is really unusable with WordPerfect, even with a translator, etc. Really bummed me out.

        regards,

        Tracy Gromer
        Phoenix AZ

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 9, 2007
          On Sep 8, 2007, at 10:35 AM, Phillip Jones, CET wrote:

          > I know Corel put it out as freeware for a limited time but so far as I
          > know its only still on servers for this newsgroup.

          It is copyrighted software. At some point, years ago, Corel went
          around and asked everyone to remove the free download from their
          servers, which is why you won't find it listed at VersionTracker and
          MacDownload.

          I have to agree that it would not be a good idea to draw Corel's
          attention to the places where it is still available for download.

          Randy B. Singer

          Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
          http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
        • Paolo Tramannoni
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 12, 2007
            Ok, here is an amended version. Apart for further content's
            suggestions, any rewriting in something different than my Immigrant
            English would be welcome.

            -----

            Dear Corel,

            Years ago, you decided to dismiss WordPerfect for Mac. With the
            growing market share Apple has been gaining during the following
            years, maybe it is time to rethink that decision. Several users are
            still writing with the old version of WP, and more will be conquered
            by the winning features of a Mac OS X version over all the competitors.

            Some users are indeed forced to use WordPerfect, due to the lack of a
            good alternative legal document processor on the Mac. Some Courts, in
            the USA, explicitly request for the WordPerfect format. A high - and
            growing - number of law offices use Macs.

            We would be happy to pay for a renewed version, that builds on the old
            one, preserving the same clean interface and rich set of well laid out
            features. This would help us overcome the lack of really advanced,