Re: [wpmac] Free anti-virus software for OSX

  • Randy B. Singer
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1 4:11 PM
      On Sep 1, 2007, at 11:19 AM, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

      > after I installed I tried out the manual test and even though I
      > know it
      > just scans and doesn't repair; I noticed what it did was cycle back
      > and
      > forth. It counted from 100% down to 0 Percent% it had gone through
      > this
      > twice before I notice it cycling back and forth. Is this normal. Looks
      > Like it would count files to determine how many there are to look at
      > then count to 100% to test. then when you get to 100% check it would
      > shut down. Should I have just let it cycle back and forth?

      I really don't know what you are referring to.

      But then again, once you have installed VB, you never have to do a
      manual scan again. So if you can live with what it is doing, and it
      can get through a scan, you're good.

      There is a test (harmless) virus that you can download to see if the
      program works:

      EICAR virus
      http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

      Randy B. Singer

      Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
    • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 2 7:40 AM
        Nope I think I'll leave the harmless test virus alone. For some reason
        it found some type of OS 9 Virus on my OS9 drive even though there is no
        way to set for a particular drive. It found 2 OS9 Viruses but took an
        hour and three quarters to check both drives.

        Randy B. Singer wrote:

        > On Sep 1, 2007, at 11:19 AM, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:
        >
        > > after I installed I tried out the manual test and even though I
        > > know it
        > > just scans and doesn't repair; I noticed what it did was cycle back
        > > and
        > > forth. It counted from 100% down to 0 Percent% it had gone through
        > > this
        > > twice before I notice it cycling back and forth. Is this normal. Looks
        > > Like it would count files to determine how many there are to look at
        > > then count to 100% to test. then when you get to 100% check it would
        > > shut down. Should I have just let it cycle back and forth?
        >
        > I really don't know what you are referring to.
        >
        > But then again, once you have installed VB, you never have to do a
        > manual scan again. So if you can live with what it is doing, and it
        > can get through a scan, you're good.
        >
        > There is a test (harmless) virus that you can download to see if the
        > program works:
        >
        > EICAR virus
        > http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm
        > <http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm>

        > Randy B. Singer
        > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
        >
        > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
        > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html <http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html>

        If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

        mailto:pjones@...

        <http://www.vpea.org>
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 2 8:08 PM
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Jones, C.E.T." <pjones1@...> wrote:

          > I am trying the trial version of virusBarrierX
          >
          > after I installed I tried out the manual test and even though I know it
          > just scans and doesn't repair; I noticed what it did was cycle back and
          > forth. It counted from 100% down to 0 Percent% it had gone through this
          > twice before I notice it cycling back and forth. Is this normal. Looks
          > Like it would count files to determine how many there are to look at
          > then count to 100% to test. then when you get to 100% check it would
          > shut down. Should I have just let it cycle back and forth?

          ClamXAV does not let you scan the entire startup disk, since Apple
          includes a symbolic link to that disk on that disk. When the scan
          reaches the link it begins to scan the disk again, recursively. With
          Clam, you can effectively scan the entire startup disk by selecting
          every visible item on the disk, in the Select dialog. VirusBarrierX
          might have the same issue.

          John R.
        • Randy B. Singer
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 2 8:27 PM
            On Sep 2, 2007, at 7:40 AM, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

            > Nope I think I'll leave the harmless test virus alone. For some reason
            > it found some type of OS 9 Virus on my OS9 drive even though there
            > is no
            > way to set for a particular drive.

            Well, that's what you use an anti-virus program for.

            > It found 2 OS9 Viruses but took an
            > hour and three quarters to check both drives.

            As I said, once you install VirusBarrier, you only ever have to do a
            scan of your complete drive once. From then on it works
            automatically to check any new or changed software.