Re: [wpmac] Free anti-virus software for OSX

  • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 1, 2007
      I am trying the trial version of virusBarrierX

      after I installed I tried out the manual test and even though I know it
      just scans and doesn't repair; I noticed what it did was cycle back and
      forth. It counted from 100% down to 0 Percent% it had gone through this
      twice before I notice it cycling back and forth. Is this normal. Looks
      Like it would count files to determine how many there are to look at
      then count to 100% to test. then when you get to 100% check it would
      shut down. Should I have just let it cycle back and forth?
    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 1, 2007
        On Sep 1, 2007, at 11:19 AM, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

        > after I installed I tried out the manual test and even though I
        > know it
        > just scans and doesn't repair; I noticed what it did was cycle back
        > and
        > forth. It counted from 100% down to 0 Percent% it had gone through
        > this
        > twice before I notice it cycling back and forth. Is this normal. Looks
        > Like it would count files to determine how many there are to look at
        > then count to 100% to test. then when you get to 100% check it would
        > shut down. Should I have just let it cycle back and forth?

        I really don't know what you are referring to.

        But then again, once you have installed VB, you never have to do a
        manual scan again. So if you can live with what it is doing, and it
        can get through a scan, you're good.

        There is a test (harmless) virus that you can download to see if the
        program works:

        EICAR virus
        http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

        Randy B. Singer

        Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 2, 2007
          Nope I think I'll leave the harmless test virus alone. For some reason
          it found some type of OS 9 Virus on my OS9 drive even though there is no
          way to set for a particular drive. It found 2 OS9 Viruses but took an
          hour and three quarters to check both drives.

          Randy B. Singer wrote:

          > On Sep 1, 2007, at 11:19 AM, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:
          >
          > > after I installed I tried out the manual test and even though I
          > > know it
          > > just scans and doesn't repair; I noticed what it did was cycle back
          > > and
          > > forth. It counted from 100% down to 0 Percent% it had gone through
          > > this
          > > twice before I notice it cycling back and forth. Is this normal. Looks
          > > Like it would count files to determine how many there are to look at
          > > then count to 100% to test. then when you get to 100% check it would
          > > shut down. Should I have just let it cycle back and forth?
          >
          > I really don't know what you are referring to.
          >
          > But then again, once you have installed VB, you never have to do a
          > manual scan again. So if you can live with what it is doing, and it
          > can get through a scan, you're good.
          >
          > There is a test (harmless) virus that you can download to see if the
          > program works:
          >
          > EICAR virus
          > http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm
          > <http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm>

          > Randy B. Singer
          > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
          >
          > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
          > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html <http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html>

          If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

          mailto:pjones@...

          <http://www.vpea.org>
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 2, 2007
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Jones, C.E.T." <pjones1@...> wrote:

            > I am trying the trial version of virusBarrierX
            >
            > after I installed I tried out the manual test and even though I know it
            > just scans and doesn't repair; I noticed what it did was cycle back and
            > forth. It counted from 100% down to 0 Percent% it had gone through this
            > twice before I notice it cycling back and forth. Is this normal. Looks
            > Like it would count files to determine how many there are to look at
            > then count to 100% to test. then when you get to 100% check it would
            > shut down. Should I have just let it cycle back and forth?

            ClamXAV does not let you scan the entire startup disk, since Apple
            includes a symbolic link to that disk on that disk. When the scan
            reaches the link it begins to scan the disk again, recursively. With
            Clam, you can effectively scan the entire startup disk by selecting
            every visible item on the disk, in the Select dialog. VirusBarrierX
            might have the same issue.

            John R.
          • Randy B. Singer
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 2, 2007
              On Sep 2, 2007, at 7:40 AM, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:

              > Nope I think I'll leave the harmless test virus alone. For some reason
              > it found some type of OS 9 Virus on my OS9 drive even though there
              > is no
              > way to set for a particular drive.

              Well, that's what you use an anti-virus program for.

              > It found 2 OS9 Viruses but took an
              > hour and three quarters to check both drives.

              As I said, once you install VirusBarrier, you only ever have to do a
              scan of your complete drive once. From then on it works
              automatically to check any new or changed software.