Re: [wpmac] Re: Off-Topic - install disks for 500mhz G3 iMac

  • Gregory Sigman
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 24, 2007
      On 8/24/07 3:05 PM, "pjandlar" <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > But where do I get new system disks or download a system + the apps that came
      > on the original disks? I've wiped out just about everything on the computer,
      > and need to do a clean install. Everything on Apple.com seems to be add-ons
      > or upgrades.

      That is true. You'll need to buy a commercial 10.4 (or whichever; no
      versions of OS X are available for downloading, at least not legitimately),
      but even that will not include the original set of apps that were installed
      on the iMac when it was new. 10.4 currently runs about $120.

      Before doing that, however, I'd scour ebay for a secondhand set of original
      disks appropriate to that machine. What I can't remember is if the original
      software included with your iMac even had any version of OS X at all, or if
      it was strictly OS 9.

      Good luck!
    • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 24, 2007
        Do you have your original systems disk for OSX.4?

        if so install that, then go to Apple's website and look for the OSX.4.10
        combo updater. If you have a DSL connection take about 30 minutes to
        download. It will update ever item that was updated up to the point the
        combo updater was included. Then you have to use software update perhaps
        several times to get all the security up dates, quicktime updates and so
        on until current. IF you don't have original Systems disk you will have
        to buy OSX.4 form somewhere.

        pjandlar wrote:

        > But where do I get new system disks or download a system + the apps that
        > came on the
        > original disks? I've wiped out just about everything on the computer,
        > and need to do a
        > clean install. Everything on Apple.com seems to be add-ons or upgrades.
        >
        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:wordperfectmac%40yahoogroups.com>, Bob Stern <bob_stern@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > >Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:
        > > >
        > > >I think minimum requirement for X.4 is a G4
        > >

        > > That's not true. It will run on a G3 that has built-in Firewire,
        > > such as my Pismo.
        > >
        > > There's also a hack that allows it to run even on older G3's that
        > > don't have Firewire.
        > > --
        > >
        > > Bob Stern

        If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

        mailto:pjones@...

        <http://www.vpea.org>
      • pjandlar
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 24, 2007
          It came with OSX ??? and also OS 9. The originals are here somewhere......I hid the startup
          disks so I could get past my teen's password to check up on his computer use
          occasionally. I guess I hid them too well.........
          I'll try eBay, thanks.

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Gregory Sigman <sigman@...> wrote:

          > On 8/24/07 3:05 PM, "pjandlar" <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          >
          > > But where do I get new system disks or download a system + the apps that came
          > > on the original disks? I've wiped out just about everything on the computer,
          > > and need to do a clean install. Everything on Apple.com seems to be add-ons
          > > or upgrades.
          >
          > That is true. You'll need to buy a commercial 10.4 (or whichever; no
          > versions of OS X are available for downloading, at least not legitimately),
          > but even that will not include the original set of apps that were installed
          > on the iMac when it was new. 10.4 currently runs about $120.
          >
          > Before doing that, however, I'd scour ebay for a secondhand set of original
          > disks appropriate to that machine. What I can't remember is if the original
          > software included with your iMac even had any version of OS X at all, or if
          > it was strictly OS 9.
          >
          > Good luck!

        • Rick Albright
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 26, 2007
            On Aug 24, 2007, at 2:47 PM, Bob Stern wrote:
            > That's not true. It will run on a G3 that has built-in Firewire,
            > such as my Pismo.

            Indeed it does. I have a fall 2001 iBook--G3, 384mb ram--and 10.4
            runs quite well on it.
            Rick Albright
          • J. C. Sarmiento
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 27, 2007
              and dont forget that this machine does not accept
              dvds, so if you get osx you should order it in cd
              format, or get it used that way. unless you have an
              external dvd player/reader... good luck.

              jcs

              --- pjandlar <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              > It came with OSX ??? and also OS 9. The originals
              > are here somewhere......I hid the startup
              > disks so I could get past my teen's password to
              > check up on his computer use
              > occasionally. I guess I hid them too well.........
              > I'll try eBay, thanks.
            • pjandlar
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 27, 2007
                Thanks for all the advice. After another search I found all the original install, restore, and
                upgrade disks, and even my original WordPerfect disk(!), so now the old iMac and
                WordPerfect (under Classic) are working just great again.

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 27, 2007
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, pjandlar <no_reply@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for all the advice. After another search I found all the original
                  > install, restore, and upgrade disks, and even my original WordPerfect
                  > disk(!), so now the old iMac and WordPerfect (under Classic) are working
                  > just great again.

                  I would reinstall WordPerfect from one of the download sites listed in
                  the Links section here, along with the OS 8/9/Classic updater, rather
                  than running the multiple updates required with a disk-based copy of
                  the program.