New SheepShaver build (universal binary)

    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 23, 2007
      Worthwhile changes to the source code, apparently. Download at

      http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/
      SheepShaver_UB_22_08_2007.zip

      I'm glad to see so much development.

      John R.
    • u_gaggin
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 24, 2007

        > Worthwhile changes to the source code, apparently. Download at
        >
        > http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/
        > SheepShaver_UB_22_08_2007.zip

        This link seems broken. A simple click on the live part leads to a virtual
        directory with no access while copy/paste of the entire url leads nowhere.

        I tried lots of variations on the url but also got nowhere with that.

        Can you double-check on this a perhaps update your posting?

        cheers,

        Gord
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 24, 2007
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "u_gaggin" <u_gaggin@...> wrote:

          > http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/
          > SheepShaver_UB_22_08_2007.zip

          I'm sorry that Yahoo hasn't fixed their message delivery. Copy and paste
          this link into your browser's address line, and delete the carets (">")
          that will appear at the start and in the middle. It then works.

          John R.
        • Syth
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 24, 2007
            On 24-Aug-2007, at 09:15, u_gaggin wrote:
            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst"
            > <jrethorst@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Worthwhile changes to the source code, apparently. Download at
            >>
            >> http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/
            >> SheepShaver_UB_22_08_2007.zip
            >
            > This link seems broken.

            It is, but not how you think. The OP did not delimit the URL, so it
            got broken in transit by the mail program (yours, his, whatever)

            Enclosing URLs in <>'s makes everyone's life easier. This should work:

            --
            Lister: What d'ya think of Betty? Cat: Betty Rubble? Well, I would go
            with Betty... but I'd be thinking of Wilma. Lister: This is crazy.
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 24, 2007
              Still didn't make it. Just copy first to browser URL line:

              http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/

              then copy:

              SheepShaver_UB_22_08_2007.zip

              the hit return or click goto

              See what happens;

              http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/SheepShaver_UB_22_08_2007.zip

              is the full link.

              Syth wrote:

              > On 24-Aug-2007, at 09:15, u_gaggin wrote:
              > > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:wordperfectmac%40yahoogroups.com>, "John Rethorst"
              > > <jrethorst@...> wrote:
              > >>
              > >> Worthwhile changes to the source code, apparently. Download at
              > >>
              > >> http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/
              > <http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/>
              > >> SheepShaver_UB_22_08_2007.zip
              > >
              > > This link seems broken.
              >
              > It is, but not how you think. The OP did not delimit the URL, so it
              > got broken in transit by the mail program (yours, his, whatever)
              >
              > Enclosing URLs in <>'s makes everyone's life easier. This should work:
              >
              > <http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/
              > <http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/>
              > SheepShaver_UB_22_08_2007.zip>
              >
              > --
              > Lister: What d'ya think of Betty? Cat: Betty Rubble? Well, I would go
              > with Betty... but I'd be thinking of Wilma. Lister: This is crazy.
              > Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone? Cat:
              > You're right. We're nuts. This is an insane conversation. Lister:
              > She'll never leave Fred, and we know it.

              If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

              mailto:pjones@...

              <http://www.vpea.org>
            • ted_m_p_lee
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 2, 2008

                > Worthwhile changes to the source code, apparently. Download at
                >
                > http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/
                > SheepShaver_UB_22_08_2007.zip

                Would you recommend replacing the version in your "release" (the one
                found in links) with this one? (I'm moving several machines up to
                Leopard so this is now more than an idle curiousity!)

                Ted Lee
                Minnetonka, MN
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 2, 2008
                  Geoff, was this the build you had trouble with?

                  IAC there's an Intel-only build of 2 Jan 2008, at:

                  http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/SheepShaver_02_01_20
                  08.zip

                  with updates:

                  -Add SSSE3 optimizations (Intel Core 2 CPUs and newer). This brings an overall +10%
                  performance improvement in AltiVec Fractal Carbon.
                  -Detect SSE 4.1
                  -Add support for 64-bit MacOS X for PowerPC (untested beyond "it compiles").
                  -Exception handler code[1] always contains the fault address nowadays. So make it the
                  default fast path but keep provisions to check that at run-time first. This yields a nearly
                  4x improvement in SIGSEGV recovery.
                  -Fix build with new MacOS X extfs implementation (in C++).

                  I've made some improvements to the SheepShaver volume,
                  although nothing major, so I'm ready for a new build, once some
                  feedback comes in on this one. I'll also replace SheepShaverGUI
                  with the cocoa SheepShaver Prefs.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 2, 2008
                    John

                    Yes, that was the Sheepshaver that caused me problems. I'll download
                    this new version, though, and road test it.

                    Thanks

                    Geoff

                    >Geoff, was this the build you had trouble with?
                    >
                    >IAC there's an Intel-only build of 2 Jan 2008, at:
                    >
                    >http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/SheepShaver_02_01_20
                    >08.zip
                    >
                    >with updates:
                    >
                    >-Add SSSE3 optimizations (Intel Core 2 CPUs and newer). This brings
                    >an overall +10%
                    >performance improvement in AltiVec Fractal Carbon.
                    >-Detect SSE 4.1
                    >-Add support for 64-bit MacOS X for PowerPC (untested beyond "it compiles").
                    >-Exception handler code[1] always contains the fault address
                    >nowadays. So make it the
                    >default fast path but keep provisions to check that at run-time
                    >first. This yields a nearly
                    >4x improvement in SIGSEGV recovery.
                    >-Fix build with new MacOS X extfs implementation (in C++).
                    >
                    >I've made some improvements to the SheepShaver volume,
                    >although nothing major, so I'm ready for a new build, once some
                    >feedback comes in on this one. I'll also replace SheepShaverGUI
                    >with the cocoa SheepShaver Prefs.
                    >
                    >John R.
                    >

                    >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ted_m_p_lee" <tmplee@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@>
                    >> wrote:
                    >> >
                    >> > Worthwhile changes to the source code, apparently. Download at
                    >> >
                    >> > http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/
                    >> > SheepShaver_UB_22_08_2007.zip
                    >> >

                    >> Would you recommend replacing the version in your "release" (the one
                    >> found in links) with this one? (I'm moving several machines up to
                    >> Leopard so this is now more than an idle curiousity!)
                    >>
                    >> Ted Lee
                    >> Minnetonka, MN
                    >>

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Bill Bossart
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008
                      I can't find this download page. Has it been withdrawn?

                      Bill Bossart
                      whbossart@...

                    • Patrick Sheffield
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008
                        It has been wrapped:

                        http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/SheepShaver_UB_22_08_2007.zip

                        as doubtless mine will be, but maybe not.

                        Patrick

                      • ted_m_p_lee
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008
                          You say this is an "Intel-only" build and yet the description
                          contains "-Add support for 64-bit MacOS X for PowerPC" -- any idea
                          what that's about?

                          Ted

                          <jrethorst@...> wrote:

                          > Geoff, was this the build you had trouble with?
                          >
                          > IAC there's an Intel-only build of 2 Jan 2008, at:

                          http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/SheepShave
                          r_02_01_20
                          > 08.zip
                          >
                          > with updates:
                          >
                          > -Add SSSE3 optimizations (Intel Core 2 CPUs and newer). This brings
                          an overall +10%
                          > performance improvement in AltiVec Fractal Carbon.
                          > -Detect SSE 4.1
                          > -Add support for 64-bit MacOS X for PowerPC (untested beyond "it
                          compiles").
                          > -Exception handler code[1] always contains the fault address
                          nowadays. So make it the
                          > default fast path but keep provisions to check that at run-time
                          first. This yields a nearly
                          > 4x improvement in SIGSEGV recovery.
                          > -Fix build with new MacOS X extfs implementation (in C++).
                          >
                          > I've made some improvements to the SheepShaver volume,
                          > although nothing major, so I'm ready for a new build, once some
                          > feedback comes in on this one. I'll also replace SheepShaverGUI
                          > with the cocoa SheepShaver Prefs.
                          >
                          > John R.

                        • ted_m_p_lee
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008
                            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Sheffield
                            <psheffield@...> wrote:

                            > It has been wrapped:

                            http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/SheepShave
                            r_UB_22_08_2007.zip

                            > as doubtless mine will be, but maybe not.

                            But which one should be used (and for what systems?) --

                            SheepShaver_UB_22_08_2007.zip

                            or

                            SheepShaver_02_01_2008.zip?

                            Ted Lee
                            Minnetonka, MN
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008
                              The 2008 version. Works OK for me after one day's testing.

                              Geoff

                              >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Sheffield
                              ><psheffield@...> wrote:
                              >>
                              >> It has been wrapped:
                              >>

                              >http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/downloads/SheepShave
                              >r_UB_22_08_2007.zip
                              >>
                              >> as doubtless mine will be, but maybe not.
                              >>

                              >But which one should be used (and for what systems?) --
                              >
                              >SheepShaver_UB_22_08_2007.zip
                              >
                              >or
                              >
                              >SheepShaver_02_01_2008.zip?
                              >
                              >Ted Lee
                              >Minnetonka, MN
                              >

                              >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • ted_m_p_lee
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008

                                > The 2008 version. Works OK for me after one day's testing.
                                >
                                > Geoff

                                Intel Mac or PPC?

                                Ted
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008
                                  I'm on an Intel Mac. Don't know about PPC.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008

                                    > You say this is an "Intel-only" build and yet the description
                                    > contains "-Add support for 64-bit MacOS X for PowerPC" -- any idea
                                    > what that's about?

                                    The source code includes that enhancement. The 1/2/08 build is
                                    apparently Intel-only.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 3, 2008
                                      Reports about the Jan 2 08 build include:

                                      most problems with the unix folder are
                                      solved. Icons work, and applications can be
                                      launched from the unix folder, i.e. do not
                                      have to be on the SS volume to run. (!) Also
                                      more stable then the previous version.

                                      John R.
                                    • ted_m_p_lee
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 4, 2008
                                        <jrethorst@...> wrote:

                                        > Reports about the Jan 2 08 build include:
                                        >
                                        > most problems with the unix folder are
                                        > solved. Icons work, and applications can be
                                        > launched from the unix folder, i.e. do not
                                        > have to be on the SS volume to run. (!) Also
                                        > more stable then the previous version.

                                        Any word on whether someone is likely to make a PPC or Universal
                                        binary from that any time soon? (I couldn't find anything myself on
                                        the emaculation forum, which appears to be where that's discussed.)
                                        I suppose I could try compiling it myself, but that's a pretty steep
                                        learning curve! (I actually have used a makefile on a unix system in
                                        a former life -- but that was years ago!)

                                        Ted Lee
                                        Minnetonka, MN
                                      • ted_m_p_lee
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 4, 2008
                                          I just went back to the emaculation forum and found the following
                                          posted this morning:

                                          "SheepShaver Universal build 05 Jan. 2008 available

                                          Get it here:

                                          http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/Downloads/SheepShave
                                          r_05_01_2008_UB.zip"

                                          (watch for line wrap on that -- the filename just by itself is
                                          SheepShaver_05_01_2008_UB.zip)

                                          I'll have to give it a try this evening.

                                          Anyone know if I should delete the hidden files (prefs and nvram, if
                                          I remember right) previous invocations of it created before running
                                          the new version?

                                          Ted Lee
                                          Minnetonka, MN

                                          wrote:

                                          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst"
                                          > <jrethorst@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Reports about the Jan 2 08 build include:
                                          > >
                                          > > most problems with the unix folder are
                                          > > solved. Icons work, and applications can be
                                          > > launched from the unix folder, i.e. do not
                                          > > have to be on the SS volume to run. (!) Also
                                          > > more stable then the previous version.
                                          > >

                                          > Any word on whether someone is likely to make a PPC or Universal
                                          > binary from that any time soon? (I couldn't find anything myself
                                          on
                                          > the emaculation forum, which appears to be where that's
                                          discussed.)
                                          > I suppose I could try compiling it myself, but that's a pretty
                                          steep
                                          > learning curve! (I actually have used a makefile on a unix system
                                          in
                                          > a former life -- but that was years ago!)
                                          >
                                          > Ted Lee
                                          > Minnetonka, MN

                                        • ted_m_p_lee
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jan 4, 2008

                                            > Reports about the Jan 2 08 build include:
                                            >
                                            > most problems with the unix folder are
                                            > solved. Icons work, and applications can be
                                            > launched from the unix folder, i.e. do not
                                            > have to be on the SS volume to run. (!) Also
                                            > more stable then the previous version.

                                            Hmmmmmm... given that, is there any reason to keep anything on the
                                            SheepShaver.dmg other than the system itself? What happens if there
                                            are aliases in the "unix" "folder" to other places in the OS X file
                                            system -- can Sheepshaver follow those? (yes, I know that could be
                                            easily tested, but I'm not at any of my Macs.)

                                            Ted
                                          • ted_m_p_lee
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jan 5, 2008

                                              > I just went back to the emaculation forum and found the following
                                              > posted this morning:

                                              OK, seems to work (PowerBook G4, still under Tiger.) At first I got a garbled and
                                              unreadable display (like when a TV goes out of synch.) This new version includes the
                                              preference settings (configuration) as a menu item -- and in that the screen resolutions
                                              can only be selected values (scroll down pick lists for H and V). With the old version I'd
                                              arbitrarily picked 1000 x 700 (or something like that) -- once I'd picked 1024 x 768 from
                                              the available possibilities it worked fine. There is a "maximum" setting for each -- haven't
                                              tried that yet.

                                              I haven't tried anything fancy yet.

                                              Ted Lee
                                              Minnetonka, MN

                                              > "SheepShaver Universal build 05 Jan. 2008 available
                                              >
                                              > Get it here:
                                              >
                                              > http://www.open.ou.nl/hsp/Engels/SheepShaver_Help/Downloads/SheepShave
                                              > r_05_01_2008_UB.zip"
                                              >
                                              > (watch for line wrap on that -- the filename just by itself is
                                              > SheepShaver_05_01_2008_UB.zip)
                                              >
                                              > I'll have to give it a try this evening.
                                              >
                                              > Anyone know if I should delete the hidden files (prefs and nvram, if
                                              > I remember right) previous invocations of it created before running
                                              > the new version?
                                              >
                                              > Ted Lee
                                              > Minnetonka, MN

                                            • Alexander
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jan 5, 2008
                                                I downloaded the SheepShaver build and the instructions from this
                                                group and I cannot find the SheepShaverGUI in the download. Where is
                                                this or do I still need this?

                                                Alex
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jan 7, 2008
                                                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander" <wold.alexander@...> wrote:

                                                  > I downloaded the SheepShaver build and the instructions from this
                                                  > group and I cannot find the SheepShaverGUI in the download. Where is
                                                  > this or do I still need this?

                                                  It's in the SheepShaver Install package, but instead I'd use the
                                                  SheepShaver Prefs file, a separate download here.

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Apr 2, 2009