Problems with RTF Files

  • lawrencegoodman
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 22, 2007
      I am sorry to be such a pest, but now I am having problems when I
      save WP files in RTF. I make RTF my standard so it's universal, but I
      am finding that WP cannot later open up the RTF files it itself
      created. It says the file is corrupted. In OS X, both WORD and
      Textedit cannot open the file either. Only Textmate--thank God for it-
      -can open the file, and then I get this file full of rtf code.

      The other weird thing that is happening is that when it is saving to
      RTF, it is cutting off about a quarter of the text in the file at the
      end.

      Does anyone else routinely save in RTF? Can WP simply not do this? Or
      is this a problem in whatever format you save in?

      Thanks.
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 22, 2007
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, lawrencegoodman <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > I am sorry to be such a pest, but now I am having problems when I
        > save WP files in RTF. I make RTF my standard so it's universal, but I
        > am finding that WP cannot later open up the RTF files it itself
        > created. It says the file is corrupted. In OS X, both WORD and
        > Textedit cannot open the file either. Only Textmate--thank God for it-
        > -can open the file, and then I get this file full of rtf code.

        No such troubles here. I just made a WP file, saved it as RTF, then
        opened it first in WP, then in MS Word 2004, then in TextEdit. The only
        thing WP's RTF translator won't do, because of its age, is interpret
        formatting more newly supported by RTF, such as tables.

        > The other weird thing that is happening is that when it is saving to
        > RTF, it is cutting off about a quarter of the text in the file at the
        > end.

        I would download Conversions 2.1.2 from the Conversions folder in the
        Files section here, and replace your WP Conversions folder with it. The
        folder, in the WP application folder (i.e. either the folder containing the
        application or the folder you designated as the application folder in
        Preferences > Folders, has to be named "Conversions".

        John R.
      • Paul Cowan
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 22, 2007
          <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > I am having problems when I save WP files in RTF. I
          > am finding that WP cannot later open up the RTF files it itself
          > created. [...]
          > Does anyone else routinely save in RTF? Can WP simply not do this?
          > Or is this a problem in whatever format you save in?

          I used to save in RTF - though generally from WordPerfect for PC -
          in order to translate in Déjà Vu. I found the RTF converter very
          buggy, and when I re-imported the translated file it usually
          generated *much* bigger WP files than the original. I think
          WP/Novell/Corel just never came up with a good converter.

          My current approach is to save in the open-source Open Document
          format, i.e. open the WP file in OpenOffice, or NeoOffice on the
          Mac, and re-save as .odt. You can also use the earlier .sxw format,
          which is not much different. This usually results, on re-import, in
          small, idiomatic WordPerfect files that don't require a lot of
          cleanup.

          Hope that helps a little.

          P. (^_^)
        • Paul Cowan
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 22, 2007
            --- I wrote:

            > My current approach is to save in the open-source Open Document
            > format, i.e. open the WP file in OpenOffice, or NeoOffice on the
            > Mac, and re-save as .odt. You can also use the earlier .sxw format

            forgot to add that, since OOo doesn't output WP format, you have to
            choouse an intermediate one - I generally use Word 97/2000/XP format,
            which seems to import best into WordPerfect

            bye,

            P. (^_^)
          • lawrencegoodman
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 23, 2007
              Could By Any Chance The Problem Be What I Am Naming These
              Files? I Have My Own Nomenclature Where I Will Call A File,
              "Draft 1.2" Does The Period Mess Wp Up? I Am Not Sure Why It
              Does, But I Do Notice That If I Add An Extension To A Wp
              File, It Wreaks Havoc.

              Thanks.
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 23, 2007
                I've just added a link in the Links section here to RCDefaultApp.
                From the ReadMe:

                RCDefaultApp is a Mac OS X 10.2 or higher preference pane that
                allows a user to set the default application used for various URL
                schemes, file extensions, file types, MIME types, and Uniform
                Type Identifiers (or UTIs; MacOS 10.4 only). MacOS X uses the
                extension and file type settings to choose the application when
                opening a file in Finder, while Safari and other applications use
                the URL and MIME type settings at other times for content not
                related to a file (such as an unknown URL protocol, or a media
                stream).

                HTH (and please let us know).

                John R.
              • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 23, 2007
                  Paul Cowan wrote:

                  > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:wordperfectmac%40yahoogroups.com>, lawrencegoodman
                  > <no_reply@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I am having problems when I save WP files in RTF. I
                  > > am finding that WP cannot later open up the RTF files it itself
                  > > created. [...]
                  > > Does anyone else routinely save in RTF? Can WP simply not do this?
                  > > Or is this a problem in whatever format you save in?
                  >
                  > I used to save in RTF - though generally from WordPerfect for PC -
                  > in order to translate in D�j� Vu. I found the RTF converter very
                  > buggy, and when I re-imported the translated file it usually
                  > generated *much* bigger WP files than the original. I think
                  > WP/Novell/Corel just never came up with a good converter.

                  The problem was and still an extent was that the RTF standard if you
                  call it that is a Microsoft invention. And until the last few years was
                  a moving target. AS companies that were in business came up with
                  something that would convert MS would change the specs on it enough to
                  break the conversions. It's settled down, but only because most people
                  trying to come up with converter are not around. only DataViz has a
                  decent converter. I have feeling it will be broke again when all of MS
                  products goes to the XML based code. will be difficult to convert XML to
                  RTF.

                  > My current approach is to save in the open-source Open Document
                  > format, i.e. open the WP file in OpenOffice, or NeoOffice on the
                  > Mac, and re-save as .odt. You can also use the earlier .sxw format,
                  > which is not much different. This usually results, on re-import, in
                  > small, idiomatic WordPerfect files that don't require a lot of
                  > cleanup.
                  >
                  > Hope that helps a little.
                  >
                  > P. (^_^)

                  If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!