What's Going On With My Files--Ughh!

  • lawrencegoodman
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 22 6:48 AM
      I am saving my WPMAC files in rtf. If I open them in Textedit
      oin OS X and then try to reopen them in WPMAC, it says it can
      no longer recognize the file.

      Sometimes Word's file browser cannot even tell the file is
      there.

      Anyone have any idea what the problem is?

      I am losing a lot of my work. Ughh!
    • Christopher Brown
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 22 9:25 AM
        This has happened with me too. As near as I can tell, it is a Unicode
        issue--TextEdit doesn't store as ASCII text? Just yesterday I had to
        cut a text file out of TextEdit, paste it in WP, and save as Mac Text
        to get a file that my (ancient) version of FileMaker could see and
        import.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 22 1:42 PM
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Brown <cbrown15@...> wrote:

          > This has happened with me too. As near as I can tell, it is a Unicode
          > issue--TextEdit doesn't store as ASCII text? Just yesterday I had to
          > cut a text file out of TextEdit, paste it in WP, and save as Mac Text
          > to get a file that my (ancient) version of FileMaker could see and
          > import.

          Go to the Conversions folder of the Files section here and download
          "Unicode Text > Text". What it does:

          WordPerfect was written before the advent of Unicode, a system of
          encoding text as numbers that supports any character in any script.
          When you copy text from a program that supports Unicode and paste
          it into WordPerfect, errors may result.

          "Unicode Text > Text" takes any kind of text on the clipboard, including
          Unicode, and converts it to text that WordPerfect or other older
          programs can recognize.

          To use, copy Unicode text to the clipboard using any program, and then
          double-click "Unicode Text > Text". The text will be converted, and a
          beep will sound. Then switch to WordPerfect other other program and paste.

          John R.
        • lawrencegoodman
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 22 2:04 PM
            My experience has been that if you paste in etxt from
            Textedit with certain characters, i.e. ", ^, ~, and a few
            others, it will actually cause Sheepshaver to hang. I get a
            spinning globe of death.

            I have just taken to always "pasting as text" which
            eliminates all problems. Seems to work fine this way as well.