Re: SheepShaver for WP

  • TJRostaf@mc.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 1969
      Lawrence, re (2), what I called the Unix or transfer folder is the OSX folder you designate in your SS GUI or SS Preferences as the Unix root. I use a newly created subfolder of my home folder in OSX. Regardless of how it is named in OSX, in SS it will appear on the desktop as a disk named Unix. Re (1), what SS seems to make invisible are folders, typically folders not created in OSX (i.e. not created in Unix). Sometimes I have found files to disappear too. It's not fully consistent. Kilometre seems to fix such disappearances. What I have done to be on the safe side is to copy files and folders for SS into the Unix folder rather than move them there, that way I keep a backup in case the moved copy disappears. Tom

      > Re: SheepShaver for WP
      > Posted by: "lawrencegoodman" no_reply@yahoogroups.com
      > lawrencegoodman
      > Date: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:41 pm ((PDT))

      > Yes, this does help, but it raises two other questions:

      > 1) What files precisely will I not be able to see because of
      > the limitations of Unix?

      > 2) When you refer to a Unix transfer folder, to what are you
      > referring exactly?

      > Thanks.
    • lawrencegoodman
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 21, 2007
        Sorry for the naive question, but how do you install
        Kilometre to run in OS 9.

        I am finding that if I move files from OS X onto the
        Sheepshaver Volume that they don't show up in OS 9.

        Thanks.
      • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 22, 2007
          Lawrence, Kilometre only works in OSX. I use it as needed on the Unix
          (transfer) folder, or on the SheepShaver volume when this is mounted in
          OSX rather than in SS (its name has to end in .dmg for it to be
          mountable in OSX, though SS does not require such a file extension).
          Also, as John R. has cautioned, never open the SS volume in both SS and
          OSX at the same time.

          There are several OS 8-9 utilities for making invisible files visible.
          I long used the freeware Invisible File Copier
          (http://www.tucows.com/preview/207055). There was also a freeware
          contextual menu plugin called Change Visibility from Alsoft (the makers
          of Disk Warrior), though I cannot find it on their website today. (I
          just emailed them about this.)

          Hope some of this helps. Tom

          ===================================
          Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
          Licensed Clinical Psychologist
          1140 Lake Street, Suite 508
          Oak Park, IL 60301-1053
          (708) 848-1611
          fax (708) 848-1436
          tjrostaf@...

          > 1a. Re: SheepShaver for WP
          > Posted by: "lawrencegoodman" no_reply@yahoogroups.com lawrencegoodman
          > Date: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:37 am ((PDT))
          >
          > Sorry for the naive question, but how do you install
          > Kilometre to run in OS 9.
          >
          > I am finding that if I move files from OS X onto the
          > Sheepshaver Volume that they don't show up in OS 9.
          >
          > Thanks.

        • lawrencegoodman