Re: SheepShaver for WP

  • TJRostaf@mc.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 1969
      Lawrence, re (2), what I called the Unix or transfer folder is the OSX folder you designate in your SS GUI or SS Preferences as the Unix root. I use a newly created subfolder of my home folder in OSX. Regardless of how it is named in OSX, in SS it will appear on the desktop as a disk named Unix. Re (1), what SS seems to make invisible are folders, typically folders not created in OSX (i.e. not created in Unix). Sometimes I have found files to disappear too. It's not fully consistent. Kilometre seems to fix such disappearances. What I have done to be on the safe side is to copy files and folders for SS into the Unix folder rather than move them there, that way I keep a backup in case the moved copy disappears. Tom

      > Re: SheepShaver for WP
      > Posted by: "lawrencegoodman" no_reply@yahoogroups.com
      > lawrencegoodman
      > Date: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:41 pm ((PDT))

      > Yes, this does help, but it raises two other questions:

      > 1) What files precisely will I not be able to see because of
      > the limitations of Unix?

      > 2) When you refer to a Unix transfer folder, to what are you
      > referring exactly?

      > Thanks.
    • dgoedseels
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 14, 2007
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J. C. Sarmiento"
        <sarmientolegal@...> wrote:

        > hi folks - wondering if anyone can help me get my G4s
        > to print to a network printer from a wordperfect
        > document within the classic environment. am using OS
        > 10.4.10. when i try to do it now i get an unable to
        > connect message and then it just doesnt print. thank
        > you for any suggestions you can provide.
        >
        > jc sarmiento, sf

        hi JC,

        when you use the "chooser", can you see the printer? and is appletalk
        enabled?
        Worst case you could print to a file (in OS9) and print this
        (e)ps-file in OS X

        br,
        Dirk
      • Daryl Chinn
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 14, 2007
          JC,

          Also, have you ever been able to print using this print from anything in Classic?

          Daryl

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "dgoedseels" <dirk@...> wrote:

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J. C. Sarmiento"
          > <sarmientolegal@> wrote:
          > >
          > > hi folks - wondering if anyone can help me get my G4s
          > > to print to a network printer from a wordperfect
          > > document within the classic environment. am using OS
          > > 10.4.10. when i try to do it now i get an unable to
          > > connect message and then it just doesnt print. thank
          > > you for any suggestions you can provide.
          > >
          > > jc sarmiento, sf
          > >
          > hi JC,
          >
          > when you use the "chooser", can you see the printer? and is appletalk
          > enabled?
          > Worst case you could print to a file (in OS9) and print this
          > (e)ps-file in OS X
          >
          > br,
          > Dirk

        • lawrencegoodman
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 21, 2007
            Sorry for the naive question, but how do you install
            Kilometre to run in OS 9.

            I am finding that if I move files from OS X onto the
            Sheepshaver Volume that they don't show up in OS 9.

            Thanks.
          • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 22, 2007
              Lawrence, Kilometre only works in OSX. I use it as needed on the Unix
              (transfer) folder, or on the SheepShaver volume when this is mounted in
              OSX rather than in SS (its name has to end in .dmg for it to be
              mountable in OSX, though SS does not require such a file extension).
              Also, as John R. has cautioned, never open the SS volume in both SS and
              OSX at the same time.

              There are several OS 8-9 utilities for making invisible files visible.
              I long used the freeware Invisible File Copier
              (http://www.tucows.com/preview/207055). There was also a freeware
              contextual menu plugin called Change Visibility from Alsoft (the makers
              of Disk Warrior), though I cannot find it on their website today. (I
              just emailed them about this.)

              Hope some of this helps. Tom

              ===================================
              Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
              Licensed Clinical Psychologist
              1140 Lake Street, Suite 508
              Oak Park, IL 60301-1053
              (708) 848-1611
              fax (708) 848-1436
              tjrostaf@...

              > 1a. Re: SheepShaver for WP
              > Posted by: "lawrencegoodman" no_reply@yahoogroups.com lawrencegoodman
              > Date: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:37 am ((PDT))
              >
              > Sorry for the naive question, but how do you install
              > Kilometre to run in OS 9.
              >
              > I am finding that if I move files from OS X onto the
              > Sheepshaver Volume that they don't show up in OS 9.
              >
              > Thanks.

            • lawrencegoodman