Re: SheepShaver for WP

  • TJRostaf@mc.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 1969
      Lawrence, re (2), what I called the Unix or transfer folder is the OSX folder you designate in your SS GUI or SS Preferences as the Unix root. I use a newly created subfolder of my home folder in OSX. Regardless of how it is named in OSX, in SS it will appear on the desktop as a disk named Unix. Re (1), what SS seems to make invisible are folders, typically folders not created in OSX (i.e. not created in Unix). Sometimes I have found files to disappear too. It's not fully consistent. Kilometre seems to fix such disappearances. What I have done to be on the safe side is to copy files and folders for SS into the Unix folder rather than move them there, that way I keep a backup in case the moved copy disappears. Tom

      > Re: SheepShaver for WP
      > Posted by: "lawrencegoodman" no_reply@yahoogroups.com
      > lawrencegoodman
      > Date: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:41 pm ((PDT))

      > Yes, this does help, but it raises two other questions:

      > 1) What files precisely will I not be able to see because of
      > the limitations of Unix?

      > 2) When you refer to a Unix transfer folder, to what are you
      > referring exactly?

      > Thanks.
    • J. C. Sarmiento
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 13, 2007
        hi folks - wondering if anyone can help me get my G4s
        to print to a network printer from a wordperfect
        document within the classic environment. am using OS
        10.4.10. when i try to do it now i get an unable to
        connect message and then it just doesnt print. thank
        you for any suggestions you can provide.

        jc sarmiento, sf
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 14, 2007
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D." <TJRostaf@...>
          wrote:

          > I also wanted to share my experiences in case it can help anyone who is
          > also still working on it.

          Tom, thanks so much for this _terrific_ report, both in its specifics and in
          its confirmation that WP runs just fine on the newest Macs.

          Of additional interest is the fact that OSX, at this point in its development,
          still does not match in functionality OS 7.5-9.2 with third-party extensions
          and control panels, carefully chosen from the vast number available.

          > One of the problems with SS is its tendency to make things invisible.
          > Kilometre (http://www.alex-castro.com/km/) (older OSX freeware, though
          > still functional; someone mentioned it here a while ago) was invaluable
          > in making things visible again in the folder I had designated as my Unix
          > folder (a dedicated folder within my home folder).

          A link has been added to the Links section here to the free Kilometre. Also,
          SS is under active development and this issue is getting the most attention.

          > Speaking of enhancements, SmoothType is excellent in SS (though when I
          > tried it on my old PowerBook 1400c it did not look as great, probably
          > because of the resolution and color limitations of that screen). John,
          > do we users owe the author a shareware fee?

          We do, $10 payable through Kagi.

          > John's excellent print mechanism for WP that uses the freeware PDF
          > distiller (which, by the way, prints tabbed underlines, where some newer
          > printers do not) works perfectly.

          Thanks again to Ed Mendelson for this design.

          I can hardly wait for the next generation of Intel chips, at which point
          WordPerfect will run faster than it ever has.

          John R.
        • dgoedseels
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 14, 2007
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J. C. Sarmiento"
            <sarmientolegal@...> wrote:

            > hi folks - wondering if anyone can help me get my G4s
            > to print to a network printer from a wordperfect
            > document within the classic environment. am using OS
            > 10.4.10. when i try to do it now i get an unable to
            > connect message and then it just doesnt print. thank
            > you for any suggestions you can provide.
            >
            > jc sarmiento, sf

            hi JC,

            when you use the "chooser", can you see the printer? and is appletalk
            enabled?
            Worst case you could print to a file (in OS9) and print this
            (e)ps-file in OS X

            br,
            Dirk
          • Daryl Chinn
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 14, 2007
              JC,

              Also, have you ever been able to print using this print from anything in Classic?

              Daryl

              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "dgoedseels" <dirk@...> wrote:

              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J. C. Sarmiento"
              > <sarmientolegal@> wrote:
              > >
              > > hi folks - wondering if anyone can help me get my G4s
              > > to print to a network printer from a wordperfect
              > > document within the classic environment. am using OS
              > > 10.4.10. when i try to do it now i get an unable to
              > > connect message and then it just doesnt print. thank
              > > you for any suggestions you can provide.
              > >
              > > jc sarmiento, sf
              > >
              > hi JC,
              >
              > when you use the "chooser", can you see the printer? and is appletalk
              > enabled?
              > Worst case you could print to a file (in OS9) and print this
              > (e)ps-file in OS X
              >
              > br,
              > Dirk

            • lawrencegoodman
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 21, 2007
                Sorry for the naive question, but how do you install
                Kilometre to run in OS 9.

                I am finding that if I move files from OS X onto the
                Sheepshaver Volume that they don't show up in OS 9.

                Thanks.
              • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 22, 2007
                  Lawrence, Kilometre only works in OSX. I use it as needed on the Unix
                  (transfer) folder, or on the SheepShaver volume when this is mounted in
                  OSX rather than in SS (its name has to end in .dmg for it to be
                  mountable in OSX, though SS does not require such a file extension).
                  Also, as John R. has cautioned, never open the SS volume in both SS and
                  OSX at the same time.

                  There are several OS 8-9 utilities for making invisible files visible.
                  I long used the freeware Invisible File Copier
                  (http://www.tucows.com/preview/207055). There was also a freeware
                  contextual menu plugin called Change Visibility from Alsoft (the makers
                  of Disk Warrior), though I cannot find it on their website today. (I
                  just emailed them about this.)

                  Hope some of this helps. Tom

                  ===================================
                  Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
                  Licensed Clinical Psychologist
                  1140 Lake Street, Suite 508
                  Oak Park, IL 60301-1053
                  (708) 848-1611
                  fax (708) 848-1436
                  tjrostaf@...

                  > 1a. Re: SheepShaver for WP
                  > Posted by: "lawrencegoodman" no_reply@yahoogroups.com lawrencegoodman
                  > Date: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:37 am ((PDT))
                  >
                  > Sorry for the naive question, but how do you install
                  > Kilometre to run in OS 9.
                  >
                  > I am finding that if I move files from OS X onto the
                  > Sheepshaver Volume that they don't show up in OS 9.
                  >
                  > Thanks.

                • lawrencegoodman