[wpmac] Re: SheepShaver Boot Disks

  • David Southall
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 6 4:49 PM
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J Bell" <bellja1@...> wrote:

      > Dear David,
      >
      > I actually have started just as you suggested, (ie downloading
      > SS-WP.zip, downloading directions from the link) and have done all the
      > steps in the directions. I use my OS8.6 (bundled) and have
      > successfully seen the desktop. After from my OS8.6 bundled version I
      > successfully completed the installation of the 7.5.3 disk images
      > provided by Apple.
      >
      > The 7.5.3 is the Operating system that after it is loaded and I
      > restart the computer gives me the error message: "This CD will not
      > operate on this macintosh...etc". Or something to that effect. I
      > then have to control-alt-delete to free myself from SS. I would
      > appreciate getting to know how to get beyond this point. I wish to be
      > able to start loading applications and using the OS.
      >
      > Could part of the problem be that that I use the OS8.6 (bundled) CD to
      > initially boot while I install the 7.5.3? I do hate hacking when I
      > don't understand what is happening. Perhaps you can point to the
      > error of my ways.
      >
      > The instructions provided got me far enough...but I still can't boot
      > independent of the OS8.6 (bundled) CD.
      >
      > Thank you for any help you can offer.

      I will attempt to duplicate the problem that you are experiencing but
      am unable to do so until Wednesday.

      Regards David
    • David Southall
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 8 5:40 AM
        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J Bell" <bellja1@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Dear David,
        > >
        > > I actually have started just as you suggested, (ie downloading
        > > SS-WP.zip, downloading directions from the link) and have done all the
        > > steps in the directions. I use my OS8.6 (bundled) and have
        > > successfully seen the desktop. After from my OS8.6 bundled version I
        > > successfully completed the installation of the 7.5.3 disk images
        > > provided by Apple.
        > >
        > > The 7.5.3 is the Operating system that after it is loaded and I
        > > restart the computer gives me the error message: "This CD will not
        > > operate on this macintosh...etc". Or something to that effect. I
        > > then have to control-alt-delete to free myself from SS. I would
        > > appreciate getting to know how to get beyond this point. I wish to be
        > > able to start loading applications and using the OS.
        > >
        > > Could part of the problem be that that I use the OS8.6 (bundled) CD to
        > > initially boot while I install the 7.5.3? I do hate hacking when I
        > > don't understand what is happening. Perhaps you can point to the
        > > error of my ways.
        > >
        > > The instructions provided got me far enough...but I still can't boot
        > > independent of the OS8.6 (bundled) CD.
        > >
        > > Thank you for any help you can offer.
        > >

        > I will attempt to duplicate the problem that you are experiencing but
        > am unable to do so until Wednesday.
        >
        > Regards David

        Dear J Bell

        The Apple supplied images must use OS9 or possibly OS7 or 8 to
        reconstruct the installer. Classic will not work but if you boot into
        OS9 the Apple supplied image files will create the intaller with no
        problem.

        I copied the installer files to a blank CD. I used Toast but any CD
        burning software should work since you are performing a simple drag copy.

        I created a blank 100MB image with SS GUI and then started SS with
        9.0.4 and ran the installer from the CD and installed onto the 100MB
        image just created. I could also intall from the same files on my
        local OSX boot disk.

        I then tried to boot from the 7.5.3 and couldn't. By changing to
        mac_oldworld_rom4mb I started to load 7.5.3 but then crashed.

        More research shows that to use 7.5.3 you must use the PC version of
        SheepShaver. The Mac version supports from OS*.x to 9.0.4.

        The image file created above should work on a PC.

        Refer to
        http://emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4093&sid=fa7da1dc77213128d56c0277df383542

        for more information and confirmation that the PC version will work.

        Regards David