Re: [wpmac] Re: SheepShaver Boot Disks

  • J Bell
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 5, 2007
      Dear David,

      I actually have started just as you suggested, (ie downloading
      SS-WP.zip, downloading directions from the link) and have done all the
      steps in the directions. I use my OS8.6 (bundled) and have
      successfully seen the desktop. After from my OS8.6 bundled version I
      successfully completed the installation of the 7.5.3 disk images
      provided by Apple.

      The 7.5.3 is the Operating system that after it is loaded and I
      restart the computer gives me the error message: "This CD will not
      operate on this macintosh...etc". Or something to that effect. I
      then have to control-alt-delete to free myself from SS. I would
      appreciate getting to know how to get beyond this point. I wish to be
      able to start loading applications and using the OS.

      Could part of the problem be that that I use the OS8.6 (bundled) CD to
      initially boot while I install the 7.5.3? I do hate hacking when I
      don't understand what is happening. Perhaps you can point to the
      error of my ways.

      The instructions provided got me far enough...but I still can't boot
      independent of the OS8.6 (bundled) CD.

      Thank you for any help you can offer.

      On 8/1/07, David Southall <dragoroo@...> wrote:

      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, somniferous1 <no_reply@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > Hello David,
      > >
      > > I am new to this group and urgently in need of getting sheepshaver
      > > to work. I have been trying to get it to work on the PC and although
      > > I can get the installer to open I am unable to install the operating
      > > system (os 8.6) because it is a bundled system that came with my
      > > G3 powerbook. I have seen instructions that tell me I can use
      > > RegEdit and make changes to the disk but this seems above and
      > > beyone the call of duty.
      > >
      > > What does this mena HFS+? Can I do it with the disk I currently
      > > have? I hate the idea of carrying two computers. (G3 and Intel)
      >
      > HFS (Hierarchical Filing System) is the disk format used up to System
      > 9. HFS+ is an improved version which supports much bigger disk sizes.
      > It started at around system 9 and is the current default disk format.
      >
      > The oldest OSs do not understand HFS+ or if they do the emulators (SS
      > and Basilisk) do not provide complete support.
      > > > The Create button in SS is the best way to make a HFS
      > > > image file of any size.
      > > >
      > When you create a blank virtual disk with SheepShaverGUI.app it
      > creates a blank HFS volume.
      >
      > When you create a blank virtual disk (.dmg) with OSX's Disk Utility it
      > usually creates a HFS+ .dmg file. It is these files that seem to have
      > problems when using the installer. Some work, some don't.
      >
      > In the Links section look for a big dowload called
      > SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install - SS-WP.zip. It contains a complete
      > OS9 install. The installer scripts that are unzipped are for MacOSX
      > but in the Install Items>SheepShaver folder you will find the
      > components that you need for your installation. The .dmg file is HFS+
      > but this one works successfully. If you use the files provided you
      > can also be assured that you have a compatible ROM.
      >
      > Use the instructions at
      > http://www.ipgp.jussieu.fr/~cogne/pub/site_perso/SheepShaver_Help/
      > SheepShaver_Help_PC.pdf
      > to install on a PC
      >
      > You do not appear to have sufficient background knowledge to use
      > ResEdit to modify your OS8.5 Installer disk so I would not recommend
      > that you try that exercise yourself. If you must us OS8.5 then seek
      > more information before making the attempt.
      >
      > Regards David

    • David Southall
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 6, 2007
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J Bell" <bellja1@...> wrote:

        > Dear David,
        >
        > I actually have started just as you suggested, (ie downloading
        > SS-WP.zip, downloading directions from the link) and have done all the
        > steps in the directions. I use my OS8.6 (bundled) and have
        > successfully seen the desktop. After from my OS8.6 bundled version I
        > successfully completed the installation of the 7.5.3 disk images
        > provided by Apple.
        >
        > The 7.5.3 is the Operating system that after it is loaded and I
        > restart the computer gives me the error message: "This CD will not
        > operate on this macintosh...etc". Or something to that effect. I
        > then have to control-alt-delete to free myself from SS. I would
        > appreciate getting to know how to get beyond this point. I wish to be
        > able to start loading applications and using the OS.
        >
        > Could part of the problem be that that I use the OS8.6 (bundled) CD to
        > initially boot while I install the 7.5.3? I do hate hacking when I
        > don't understand what is happening. Perhaps you can point to the
        > error of my ways.
        >
        > The instructions provided got me far enough...but I still can't boot
        > independent of the OS8.6 (bundled) CD.
        >
        > Thank you for any help you can offer.

        I will attempt to duplicate the problem that you are experiencing but
        am unable to do so until Wednesday.

        Regards David
      • David Southall
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8, 2007
          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J Bell" <bellja1@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Dear David,
          > >
          > > I actually have started just as you suggested, (ie downloading
          > > SS-WP.zip, downloading directions from the link) and have done all the
          > > steps in the directions. I use my OS8.6 (bundled) and have
          > > successfully seen the desktop. After from my OS8.6 bundled version I
          > > successfully completed the installation of the 7.5.3 disk images
          > > provided by Apple.
          > >
          > > The 7.5.3 is the Operating system that after it is loaded and I
          > > restart the computer gives me the error message: "This CD will not
          > > operate on this macintosh...etc". Or something to that effect. I
          > > then have to control-alt-delete to free myself from SS. I would
          > > appreciate getting to know how to get beyond this point. I wish to be
          > > able to start loading applications and using the OS.
          > >
          > > Could part of the problem be that that I use the OS8.6 (bundled) CD to
          > > initially boot while I install the 7.5.3? I do hate hacking when I
          > > don't understand what is happening. Perhaps you can point to the
          > > error of my ways.
          > >
          > > The instructions provided got me far enough...but I still can't boot
          > > independent of the OS8.6 (bundled) CD.
          > >
          > > Thank you for any help you can offer.
          > >

          > I will attempt to duplicate the problem that you are experiencing but
          > am unable to do so until Wednesday.
          >
          > Regards David

          Dear J Bell

          The Apple supplied images must use OS9 or possibly OS7 or 8 to
          reconstruct the installer. Classic will not work but if you boot into
          OS9 the Apple supplied image files will create the intaller with no
          problem.

          I copied the installer files to a blank CD. I used Toast but any CD
          burning software should work since you are performing a simple drag copy.

          I created a blank 100MB image with SS GUI and then started SS with
          9.0.4 and ran the installer from the CD and installed onto the 100MB
          image just created. I could also intall from the same files on my
          local OSX boot disk.

          I then tried to boot from the 7.5.3 and couldn't. By changing to
          mac_oldworld_rom4mb I started to load 7.5.3 but then crashed.

          More research shows that to use 7.5.3 you must use the PC version of
          SheepShaver. The Mac version supports from OS*.x to 9.0.4.

          The image file created above should work on a PC.

          Refer to
          http://emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4093&sid=fa7da1dc77213128d56c0277df383542

          for more information and confirmation that the PC version will work.

          Regards David