Re: Best word processing application under Mac OS 9

  • manfred_dogg
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 2, 2007
      WordPerfect is a much superior product. The formatting is more
      intuitive and flexible. If you have ever used a H-P calculator, the
      Reverse Polish Notation they use is much superior to the standard
      method used by most calculators. Of course RPN is not as intuitive as
      the standard method, but its superiority comes from the ease of use
      and flexibility it offers.

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Frederic W. Erk"
      <discuss.ihsd@...> wrote:

      > One year ago I switched to classic Macintosh for word processing,
      > which is essential to my research work. I have installed Microsoft
      > Office 2001 suite, as well as Corel WordPerfect 3.5e and Nisus. I
      > would be interested to hear about fellow users and their opinion
      > about those software. Whereas Microsoft does provide for standard
      > performance, I have found Nisus and WordPerfect more appealing. Is
      > that because Microsoft graphical user interface is so mediocre, or is
      > it because WordPerfect is indeed a superior word processing piece of
      > software?
      > --
      > Frederic W. Erk
      > http://fredericerk.com

    • hacky8sack
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 2, 2007

        > Dear All
        >
        > I have WP3.5e and I also have WP Office X3 under Parallels. I have
        > installed all the converters for X3 and the Conversion utility
        > includes WPMac 3.1-3.x. I have even saved as Wp3.x in WPMac to see if
        > that would work. Whatever I do, X3 tells me that the file is of an
        > unknown format. Ideas?
        >
        > Geoff

        Well, in the worst case scenario, you could save as RTF in WPMac and then open that with X3.
        Steve
      • Frederic W. Erk
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 3, 2007

          >You are asking on a WordPerfect discussion forum. What do you
          >suppose that the answers will be here?

          I am very sorry about that question on this specific forum. I just
          registered myself to two new discussion forums, the first being
          devoted to using Apple Macintosh in Humanities - to which I thought
          my message was posted -, and the latter being yours. So please accept
          my humblest apologies for this bizarre introduction of myself.

          >WP/Mac's one big
          >failing is that it never had really good WP to Word translators, in a
          >world where the Word file format is the de facto business standard
          >for exchanging editable documents.

          This is an issue, indeed. As I am new to WordPerfect 3.5e and have
          many Word files, would you mind explaining or at least pointing me at
          a guide to converting Word files into WordPerfect.

          >I think that the bottom line is that the word processor that is most
          >"appealing" is the one that most appeals to you. Other factors, such
          >as features, developer support, ease of use (from your perspective),
          >and cost, will also probably figure into your decision as to which
          >word processor is best for you.

          I am particularly interested in the foreign languages Thesauri and
          dictionaries. After some fiddling with WordPerfect I have the feeling
          that the Word support is superior (which is to be expected from a
          more recent and world standard application.) For instance, using
          WordPerfect in French and checking the spelling resulted in many
          false errors, as if WordPerfect could not understand grammatical
          situations or plurals.

          Another issue is the compatibility of WordPerfect 3.5 with the
          Windows X3 application suite.

          >After all that...have I just fed a troll?

          I don't think so, first because I have more important things to do
          than playing that kind of games, and second, because WordPerfect
          would not be the ideal platform for sounding the troll alarm. I hope
          that answered your question.

          --
          Frederic W. Erk
          http://fredericerk.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 3, 2007
            fwiw we have continued to use wp/mac within os x using
            the classic environment, and use maclinkplus as a
            translator to or from ms word or any other word
            processor. maclinkplus works well and its not too
            expensive, thus enabling us to remain ms-free.

            jc sarmiento, sf

            <http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/uioverview.mspx>

            http://www.computerworld.com/newsletter/0,4902,106437,00.html?nlid=PM

            > There are a bunch of other word processors for the
            > Macintosh:
            > http://www.emailman.com/software/wordproc/mac.html
            > None are as powerful as Word and WP/Mac, but if any
            > of them have
            > sufficient features for your needs, and you like
            > their interface,
            > then there is no reason not to use them. But many
            > folks cannot
            > consider anything other than Word or WP/Mac because
            > they need any of
            > a number of advanced features, such as document
            > tracking, redlining,
            > table of authorities, etc.
            >
            > I think that the bottom line is that the word
            > processor that is most
            > "appealing" is the one that most appeals to you.
            > Other factors, such
            > as features, developer support, ease of use (from
            > your perspective),
            > and cost, will also probably figure into your
            > decision as to which
            > word processor is best for you.
            >
            > After all that...have I just fed a troll?

            > Randy B. Singer
            > Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th
            > editions)
            >
            > Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
            > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

          • David Patterson
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 4, 2007
              "AND add the file extension .wpm"
              My experience has been that one should always add the DOS extension to
              any file name which will be opened on a PC. That's the only way the poor
              thing has of knowing what to do with the file.

              David Patterson
            • Randy B. Singer
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 6, 2007
                On Aug 3, 2007, at 12:45 AM, Frederic W. Erk wrote:

                > I am particularly interested in the foreign languages Thesauri and
                > dictionaries.

                You might want to check out this utility, which I find invaluable:

                Spell Catcher
                http://www.rainmakerinc.com/

                Randy B. Singer

                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 6, 2007

                  >You might want to check out this utility, which I find invaluable:
                  >
                  >Spell Catcher
                  >http://www.rainmakerinc.com/

                  Thank you for this very interesting suggestion!
                  --
                  Frederic W. Erk
                  http://fredericerk.com