Re: [wpmac] SheepShaver OSX Networking for the Unconnected (Dummies was taken!) - LONG POST

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30 9:40 AM
      This may be an extremely dumb question, but does this method of
      connecting to the local disks (not the network, ie. step 18 and
      beyond) rely on being connected to a real ethernet link on OSX? Most
      of the time that is the case, but I use a laptop and sometimes on the
      road there is no link.

      Geoff

    • David Southall
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 30 4:40 PM

        > This may be an extremely dumb question, but does this method of
        > connecting to the local disks (not the network, ie. step 18 and
        > beyond) rely on being connected to a real ethernet link on OSX? Most
        > of the time that is the case, but I use a laptop and sometimes on the
        > road there is no link.
        >
        > Geoff

        Unfortunately it does mean that you have to have the ethernet link on
        the OSX version I tested with OS 10.4.10. If no cable connection is
        plugged into the ethernet port it does not work for me.

        The Windows version will work standalone but I was unable to make the
        Mac version standalone. That's one reason why I sought others to make
        contributions if they made better discoveries in that area. My client
        can access his network at all times so we can work with Windows or Macs.

        You may wish to experiment with a wireless connection to the internet
        to enable access to your local disk. A few people have reported
        success with wireless connections and if a wireless connection is
        active that may be enough to give you the local access you require.

        Regards David