SheepShaver XP Pro Networking for the Unconnected - LONG POST

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2007
      ** Thanks to David Southall for this post. -John R. **

      This post is off topic for a Mac WordPerfect forum but is
      likely to be off interest to many forum members. Trash it
      if it offends any sensibilities.

      My previous post SheepShaver Networking dated 08-Jul-07
      received many replies and this post is the result of those
      replies and further research.

      My problem was I wanted to use WordPerfect for Mac on an
      Intel iMac and access tens of thousand of legacy documents
      BUT I could not get networking to access my remote
      documents.

      Initially I couldn't do it with the OS-X version so I
      experimented with the Windows version.

      Here is how to do it.

      NB This is not, and cannot be, a complete step by step
      tutorial covering all possible situations but if you follow
      the instructions you can throw away the Unix Folder for
      data transfer. My description is aimed at Mac users
      experimenting. It is NOT aimed at Windows users
      experimenting because they will require extra Mac knowledge
      that can not be included here.
      1 The instructions for installing SheepShaver in XP Pro are
      not so wonderful and it took some experimentation to work
      out how to do it. I later found the following pdf by
      Jean-Paul Cogne which would have saved me lots of time in
      getting it going.
      http://www.ipgp.jussieu.fr/~cogne/pub/site_perso/SheepShaver_Help/
      SheepShaver_Help_PC.pdf2 If you have already worked with the OSX
      version you will see that you must install some extra items.
      Jean-Paul's PDF explains where to put them to allow them to work
      first time.
      3 Following Jean-Paul's instruction you should have
      SheepShaver running OS9 applications in a short time. If
      you thought seeing OS9 on an Intel was freaky try seeing it
      in an XP Pro window operating in an OSX window.
      4 I initially did this because I couldn't make networking
      work on the Mac and hoped that Windows might have better
      networking support. I was initially still in my Intel iMac
      running Parallels 2.5 with XP Pro SP2. SheepShaver took a
      while to install because the instructions supplied assume
      that you know exactly what to do. Jean-Paul's instructions
      are much more detailed. Follow them first.
      5 In SheepShaverGUI.exe>Volumes tick Enable "My Computer"
      etc...
      and
      Mount Drives CDEDFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
      This must be enabled to follow instructions given later.
      6 In SheepShaverGUI.exe>Network set Ethernet Interface to
      Basilisk II Slirp. There is a later interface that can be
      installed and used but I stopped looking when this one
      worked for me out of the box.
      7. SheepShaver in Windows connects to networked drives even
      if there is no web connection. The Mac limitation does not
      exist.
      8. SheepShaver in Windows does not care about AppleTalk
      and AppleShare. It does not use them.
      a AppleTalk is specifically not supported by SheepShaver
      b Throw away the NETWORK BROWSER icon if a shortcut is on
      your desktop. It does not work. You do not need it.
      9. Windows supports both SHARED and BRIDGED networking.
      10. SHARED
      a Go to AppleMenu>Control Panels>TCP/IP
      i Connect via: ETHERNET
      ii Configure: Using DHCP Server
      iii DHCP Client ID: Blankiv Close the window and SAVE the changes
      when prompted.
      b Restart SheepShaver (not always required but do it
      anyway for consistency)
      c Go to AppleMenu>Control Panels>TCP/IP. It should
      appear as follows with IP addresses configured for you.

      i Connect via: ETHERNET
      ii Configure: Using DHCP Server
      iii DHCP Client ID: Blank
      iv IP Address: 10.0.2.15 - This address is supplied by
      the emulated DHCP Server. SHOULD BE THIS OR 10.0.2.x
      variant
      This is really important.
      I frequently was assigned a 169.254.150.x IP address
      which means that the DHCP Server is not available.
      I was sometimes assigned a 192.168.100.x address by my
      cable modem
      I always get 10.0.2.15 from the SheepShaver DHCP server
      and this gives me connection to the internet AND to IP
      Servers.
      v Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
      vi Router Address: 10.0.2.2
      d If I don't see the 10.0.2.15 address I can't get
      connected to the IP Servers although occasionally the
      internet connection will still work. I assume in that
      case the DHCP server in my cable modem is providing the
      requisite translation.
      11. BRIDGED
      a Go to AppleMenu>Control Panels>TCP/IP
      i Connect via: ETHERNET
      ii IP Address: 192.168.2.x
      - This address should be
      almost the same as your XP Pro IP address with the x as a
      different number. This makes sure that you are in the same
      IP group as your XP Pro Workgroup. If Your XP Pro
      Workgroup uses a different IP group then use an unused
      number from that group. Take local tech support advice if
      you do not understand this.iii Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
      Copy this EXACTLY from
      your XP Pro settings. Take advice if unsure.
      iv Router Address: 192.168.2.1
      Copy this EXACTLY from
      your XP Pro settings. It is highly probable that your real
      Router Address is different from my example. Take advice if
      unsure.
      v Name Server addr.:
      Copy from XP Pro information. I use
      139.130.4.4 if nothing designated in XP Pro.
      iv Close the window and SAVE the changes when prompted.
      b Restart SheepShaver (not always required but do it
      anyway for consistency)
      c Go to AppleMenu>Control Panels>TCP/IP. It should show
      the values that you configured in Para 11a above.
      d Close the window and SAVE the changes if prompted.
      12 I did not experiment further. It may work with any
      address. Someone may wish to experiment and post the
      results.13 If TCP/IP is OK as designated above with a 10.0.2.15
      address or local workgroup address then open your network
      browser and you should be able to connect to networked
      volumes and the web if available.
      14 Open the My Computer icon on the desktop. Any XP Pro
      mapped drives are shown as folders and may be opened with
      read/write access. If you try to use AppleShare and click
      on the Server IP Address button connection will not be
      successful. It seems to be unsupported because it is
      unnecessary. Remote volume connection is already
      completely automated for you by Windows networked drive
      mapping.
      ----------------------------------
      I have not experimented further as I did with the OSX
      version so my story ends here.

      Please post any improvements that you discover. I have no
      more time at the moment to devote to this project.

      See the associated post SheepShaver OSX networking for the
      Unconnected for more information about SheepShaver.

      On a Fast Intel Core Duo the Windows SheepShaver networking
      support seems superior to the Mac version at first glance.
      Since I can achieve my goals on either I am not going to
      investigate further. Please post the results if you find
      any improvements to the procedures I have described.

      David Southall