SheepShaver OSX Networking for the Unconnected - LONG POST

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2007
      ** Thanks to David Southall for this post. -John R. **

      My previous post SheepShaver Networking dated 08-Jul-07
      received many replies and this post is the result of those
      replies and further research.

      My problem was I wanted to use WordPerfect for Mac on an
      Intel iMac and access tens of thousand of legacy documents
      BUT I could not get networking to access my remote
      documents.

      Here is how to do it

      NB This is not, and cannot be, a complete step by step
      tutorial covering all possible situations but if you follow
      the instructions you can throw away the Unix Folder for
      data transfer.

      1. Install SheepShaver using John Rethorst's Installer
      available in the Files section.

      2. If you need to make any virtual disks for the OS or Data
      you should user the SheepShaverGU.app utility to create the
      HFS volume required. Do NOT use the OSX Disk Utility to
      create blank images for this purpose.

      3 User SheepShaverGU.app>Serial/Network to ensure that
      Ethernet Interface is set to slirp.

      4. Launch SheepShaver and get it running. There are many
      web sites advising how to do this if you have problems.
      John Rethorst's installer just does it for you so I will
      not address any issues caused by you not following his
      instructions.

      5. I'm trying to make this simple so no pedantic emails
      because I oversimplify some of the following
      explanations.

      6. The SheepShaver Ethernet emulator uses an emulated
      router that connects to your OSX ethernet connection TO THE
      WEB. It then gives you an IP address that it then
      translates to your OSX connection. This is known as a
      SHARED connection in EMULATOR world. The alternative is a
      BRIDGED connection in which you manually pick an IP address
      and this connect to the web by bypassing your OSX
      connection. Some emulators can do both. SheepShaver on my
      Mac can only do SHARED. This is implemented by the
      SheepShaver software emulating a DHCP server with which the
      OS9 Ethernet client can connect.

      7. If you care to understand DHCP try
      <http://www.comptechdoc.org/independent/networking/guide/netdhcp.html>.
      I will answer no questions on the subject, you just don't need to
      understand the detail.

      8. First make sure that OSX 10.4.10 has an internet
      connection with a valid IP from your ISP.
      THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT. Open your web browser and
      connect to anything to prove you have an active web
      connection.

      9. Start SheepShaver and made sure of the following:-
      a Go to CHOOSER and check that AppleTalk is NOT selected.
      AppleTalk is specifically not supported by SheepShaver
      b Throw away the NETWORK BROWSER icon if a shortcut is on
      your desktop. I could NOT connect to servers with NETWORK
      BROWSER. It would see them and show them to me but could
      not connect.
      c Go to AppleMenu>Control Panels>TCP/IP
      i Connect via: ETHERNET
      ii Configure: Using DHCP Server
      iii DHCP Client ID: Blank
      iv Close the window and SAVE the changes when prompted.
      d Restart SheepShaver (not always required but do it
      anyway for consistency)
      e Go to AppleMenu>Control Panels>TCP/IP. It should
      appear as follows with IP addresses configured for you.
      i Connect via: ETHERNET
      ii Configure: Using DHCP Server
      iii DHCP Client ID: Blank
      iv IP Address: 10.0.2.15 - This address is supplied by
      the emulated DHCP Server. SHOULD BE THIS OR 10.0.2.x
      variant
      This is really important.
      I frequently was assigned a 169.254.150.x IP address
      which means that the DHCP Server is not available.
      I was sometimes assigned a 192.168.100.x address by my
      cable modem
      I always get 10.0.2.15 from the SheepShaver DHCP server
      and this gives me connection to the internet AND to IP
      Servers.
      v Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
      vi Router Address: 10.0.2.2
      f If I don't see the 10.0.2.15 address I can't get
      connected to the IP Servers although occasionally the
      internet connection will still work. I assume in that
      case the DHCP server in my cable modem is providing the
      requisite translation.
      10 If TCP/IP is OK as designated above with a 10.0.2.15
      address then open your network browser and you should be
      able to connect to the web.
      11 Go to Apple Menu>Chooser. Then click on APPLESHARE and
      press the Server IP Address button.
      12 Enter the Server's IP and press CONNECT. Logon in the
      usual OS 9 way.
      13 The remote server volume(s) will appear on your desktop
      and normal read/write file transfer can take place.
      14 Initial logon is slow but that may just be caused by the
      ethernet emulation.
      15 An alias to the remote volume will NOT work as a
      reconnection device by simply double-clicking. (more on
      this later)
      16 Ticking the automatically connect at startup box will
      NOT work. It just adds 2 unproductive minutes to the
      startup time after which you can manually connect via the
      Chooser with no problem.
      17 You can read and write to the REMOTE volumes without the
      Unix Shared Folder problems reported.
      ----------------------------------
      MORE GOOD NEWS - How to connect to your LOCAL disk(s)
      NB If you already have a local network your tech support
      should advise how to change the information below to match
      your network. If you work standalone the configuration
      below will work for you. If in doubt seek local tech
      support.
      18 Open System Preferences>Network
      19 Show Network Port Configurations
      20 Click on your working Ethernet Configuration and press
      the DUPLICATE button. This will create a second Ethernet
      connection for you.
      22 Click on the new copy and press EDIT to rename the copy
      to something like LOCAL CONNECTION.
      22 Now Click on SHOW and select the LOCAL CONNECTION you
      just created.
      23 Setup as follows
      a ConfigureIPv4: MANUALLY
      b IP Address: 192.168.0.x where x is a number that is not
      used elsewhere (I use 192.168.0.22 for no particular
      reason). 192.168.x.x are used for private local addresses
      and should not cause any network or internet problems for
      you.
      c Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
      d Other boxes can remain blank
      e Press APPLY NOW in the bottom right corner. Your OSX
      Mac is now on your local network as a server.
      24 Just in case you made a mess of it check that your web
      browser still works.
      26 Click on APPLESHARE and press the Server IP Address
      button.
      27 Enter the LOCAL CONNECTION IP and press CONNECT. Logon
      in the usual OS 9 way using your OSX username and password.
      28 The LOCAL disk volume(s) will appear on your desktop and
      normal read/write file transfer can take place.
      ----------------------------------
      If this works for you there is more
      29 Since you don't need the Unix folder any more you can
      use SheepShaverGUI.app>Volumes to set UNIX ROOT to a blank
      box. When this is empty the Unix folder does not appear.
      ----------------------------------
      Automatic Server Logon
      30 This is not elegant or quick but it does work.
      31 Make an alias to the attached server eg REMOTE DISK
      ALIAS.
      32 Make a folder in the System Folder called STARTUP
      SERVERS
      33 Place the disk alias in the Startup Servers as System
      Folder:Startup Servers:Remote Disk alias
      34 This works with the Scripting Additions installed with
      OS 9.0.4. Not tested with any other configuration.
      Make an applescript with the following text.
      tell application "Keychain Scripting"
      activate
      unlock keychain "yourKeyChain" with password
      "yourPassword"
      end tell
      tell application "Finder"
      beep 2
      open file "Remote Disk Alias" of folder "Startup Servers"
      of folder "System Folder" of Startup Disk
      beep 2
      end tell
      Save the script as "Connect to Server". This script will
      connect one server which will be enough for most people.
      35 For some reason your Keychain is locked even when it is
      saved unlocked so you must unlock it.
      The second bit will connect using the alias despite what I
      said earlier. Don't ask! The beeps just let you know when
      the connection attempt starts and stops. It's long enough
      for you to want a reminder.
      36 Run the script manually to make sure that it works. If
      you wish you can then place the script as an application
      into the Startup Items Folder so that the connection will
      be completely automatic. Now you see why the Startup
      Servers folder is placed in the System Folder.
      37 Manual mounting using AppleShare is much quicker but
      this works for those that have the time but can't be
      bothered making the effort. Contributions from persons
      offering a more elegant (I mean quicker) solution shall be
      gratefully received.

      This is working for me on a new 20inch iMac running OSX
      10.4.10. I have no time to experiment further but someone
      with the time may wish to investigate why there must be a
      web connection for networking to work on the OSX version.
      A local network of two or three machines will not work. I
      suspect that SheepShaver pings some address and if that
      address does not respond then assumes that networking is
      not required. It seems that this bit of code could be
      modified to simply look for any local server and configure
      the DHCP server if found. This would then allow any
      standalone Mac to run with read/write access to the local
      disk. I had no luck with manual addressing of any
      sort.

      Please post any improvements that you discover. I have no
      more time at the moment to devote to this project.

      See the associated post SheepShaver XP Pro networking for
      the Unconnected (Dummies was taken!) for more information
      about SheepShaver.

      On a Fast Intel Core Duo the Windows SheepShaver networking
      support seems superior to the Mac version at first glance.
      Since I can achieve my goals on either I am not going to
      investigate further. Please post the results if you find
      any improvements to the procedures I have described.

      David Southall