Codeweavers!

  • alicebean2003
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 23, 2007
      Since Corel is writing off a Mac version, the best hope is to see how
      well recent (not old) versions of WordPerfect do on OS X. One
      increasingly popular way is through Codeweavers "Crossover for Mac"
      (there is also a "Crossover for Linux"). See

      http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

      or for their search application dbase: http://tinyurl.com/2464mk

      And since Corel uses AVI, WMV, MPEG1 but not Quicktime, I recommend
      Flip4Mac:

      http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv.htm

      You'll want the $49 version one to do any editing and exporting.

      There is always Parallels 3.0 to run Corel on Windows but that exposes
      your computer to security vulnerabilities and slows down the computer
      (running two OS's will do that).

      If someone has a Mac, can you give Codeweavers a trial run and see how
      it does with X3 or Corel Office 12??

      This is really frustrating because I want to switch to Mac but of 30
      programs the only one I have not found a good substitute or Mac
      version for is Corel. Grrrr. Starting to lose that loving feeling for
      Corel.
    • Thomas Briant
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 23, 2007
        Hi Group:

        I have Crossover Office 6.1.0, the latest version. So I downloaded
        the trial version of WordPerfect Office X3. The install started but
        DIED when the install program couldn't find Internet Explorer 5.5 or
        better. I downloaded IE 6 SP1 into the "bottle" (virtual hard drive?)
        that Crossover Office creates. Tried the install again and it still
        failed.

        I've tried other versions of WordPerfect for Windows and it all comes
        back to the install program failing to find Internet Explorer and
        thus for want of a browser the whole install stops cold.

        Neooffice, anyone? :)

        1. Alice Bean, try a VNC connection between your old Windows box and
        your new Mac.

        2. Maybe Corel will launch a Mac version using the Cider technology
        Electronic Arts is using with Windows games to bring them to the Mac.
        And of course, pigs can fly, too.

        Tom Briant
        Editor, MacValley Voice
        Northridge, California

        On Jul 23, 2007, at 7:15 AM, alicebean2003 wrote:

        > Since Corel is writing off a Mac version, the best hope is to see how
        > well recent (not old) versions of WordPerfect do on OS X. One
        > increasingly popular way is through Codeweavers "Crossover for Mac"
        > (there is also a "Crossover for Linux"). See
        >
        > http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/
        >
        > or for their search application dbase: http://tinyurl.com/2464mk
        >
        > And since Corel uses AVI, WMV, MPEG1 but not Quicktime, I recommend
        > Flip4Mac:
        >
        > http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv.htm
        >
        > You'll want the $49 version one to do any editing and exporting.
        >
        > There is always Parallels 3.0 to run Corel on Windows but that exposes
        > your computer to security vulnerabilities and slows down the computer
        > (running two OS's will do that).
        >
        > If someone has a Mac, can you give Codeweavers a trial run and see how
        > it does with X3 or Corel Office 12??
        >
        > This is really frustrating because I want to switch to Mac but of 30
        > programs the only one I have not found a good substitute or Mac
        > version for is Corel. Grrrr. Starting to lose that loving feeling for
        > Corel.

      • Alice Bean
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 24, 2007
          On install failure, can you try to change the default browser from IE to something else? If you have a disk (not a trial), do you need to connect to IE? (Yes, you will get occassional reminders to register but you can set remind later or never).
        • thomasbriant
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 24, 2007
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Alice Bean <alicebean2003@...> wrote:

            > On install failure, can you try to change the default browser from IE to something else? If
            you have a disk (not a trial), do you need to connect to IE? (Yes, you will get occassional
            reminders to register but you can set remind later or never).
            >I am afraid that Word Perfect for Windows demands M$ Windows. I successfully installed
            WordPerfect 11 and Quattro Pro 11 using Windows XP SP1 and Innotek's open-source
            VirtualBox for Mac OS X (go to www.virtualbox.org)

            The install program did not give me the option of using a different browser, such as
            Firefox or Opera,in lieu of MS IE. As I wrote before, I tried installing IE6 successfully into
            the same bottle (virtual hard drive) that I intended to use with Word Perfect X3. The
            presence of IE6 alone was not enough to install WordPerfect X3.

            I have tried installing WordPerfect 11 from a disk into Crossover Office for Mac. Same
            problem with the install program failing to find Internet Explorer. I think some parts of
            Internet Explorer are essential for the Windows XP Help System.

            I think you'll have to use BootCamp or Parallels for any luck with this problem. You can use
            VirtualBox, but it's a public beta and not as polished as Parallels 3.

            Tom Briant