Re: [wpmac] Re: Invisible shared folder in SS (was: And now the bad news)

  • Rick Albright
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 16, 2007
      On Jul 16, 2007, at 9:35 AM, tbgibson wrote:
      > David... Thanks! Just what I've been looking for: an alternative to
      > Spotlight. I don't know how Apple got that so wrong (and most
      > everything else is so right!)
      I think that Spotlight is an exceptionally useful feature. I teach
      English at a college that has Windoze machines in our offices. I'm
      often putting together course assignments, handouts, or syllabi that
      remind me of something I've done before (I prefer not to have to
      completely reinvent something if I can avoid it), and no matter how
      well I try to organize my files, without Spotlight it can be very
      time consuming to find what I need--a problem aggravated by the fact
      that I have used a number of different software packages over the
      years, and so these materials are in a number of different file
      formats--Word, WordPerfect, Appleworks, Mellel, RTF, etc.
      Fortunately, I do my work on my Mac at home and export files for the
      Windows XP computer in my office. Spotlight has really simplified my
      searches, allowing me to use one tool to quickly search my drives
      quickly. Sure, it has some minor quirks, but some superb features,
      too. One thing I especially appreciate is the the way the program
      design allows for plug-ins, extending its search capability to any
      file for which a plug-in exists, no matter how new the format, or how
      old (like WP).
      "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual
      warfare."
      --James Madison, 1793

      Rick Albright
      logres@...
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 19, 2007

        > On Jul 16, 2007, at 9:35 AM, tbgibson wrote:
        > > David... Thanks! Just what I've been looking for: an alternative to
        > > Spotlight. I don't know how Apple got that so wrong (and most
        > > everything else is so right!)

        > I think that Spotlight is an exceptionally useful feature . .

        I like Spotlight (and am grateful to Gero Herrmann for writing the WP
        plug-in), but enough people don't that there are several alternatives,
        of two kinds. The first, best exemplified by EasyFind, simply does its
        own searching. Very good tool.

        The second kind is a revised interface for Spotlight, but which
        uses the Spotlight machinery. Laserlight and Notlight are examples
        of this.

        All of these are free at Version Tracker and MacUpdate.

        BTW my two most recent emails to Gero, of say three and six months
        ago, have gone unanswered. Anyone heard from him?