Re: Invisible shared folder in SS (was: And now the bad news)

  • tbgibson
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 16 6:35 AM
      > This utility finds invisible files with ease. I also prefer it to
      > Spotlight when looking for files with OS X 10.4.x

      David... Thanks! Just what I've been looking for: an alternative to
      Spotlight. I don't know how Apple got that so wrong (and most
      everything else is so right!)

      The link you provided didn't work, but I found it here, on the
      developer's website. They also seem to have some other nice little
      programs...

      Direct link to program:
      http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/154551-BMWY/EasyFind.dmg.zip

      Developer's other programs:
      http://www.devon-technologies.com/download/index.html
    • Rick Albright
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 16 7:12 PM
        On Jul 16, 2007, at 9:35 AM, tbgibson wrote:
        > David... Thanks! Just what I've been looking for: an alternative to
        > Spotlight. I don't know how Apple got that so wrong (and most
        > everything else is so right!)
        I think that Spotlight is an exceptionally useful feature. I teach
        English at a college that has Windoze machines in our offices. I'm
        often putting together course assignments, handouts, or syllabi that
        remind me of something I've done before (I prefer not to have to
        completely reinvent something if I can avoid it), and no matter how
        well I try to organize my files, without Spotlight it can be very
        time consuming to find what I need--a problem aggravated by the fact
        that I have used a number of different software packages over the
        years, and so these materials are in a number of different file
        formats--Word, WordPerfect, Appleworks, Mellel, RTF, etc.
        Fortunately, I do my work on my Mac at home and export files for the
        Windows XP computer in my office. Spotlight has really simplified my
        searches, allowing me to use one tool to quickly search my drives
        quickly. Sure, it has some minor quirks, but some superb features,
        too. One thing I especially appreciate is the the way the program
        design allows for plug-ins, extending its search capability to any
        file for which a plug-in exists, no matter how new the format, or how
        old (like WP).
        "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual
        warfare."
        --James Madison, 1793

        Rick Albright
        logres@...
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 19 5:02 PM

          > On Jul 16, 2007, at 9:35 AM, tbgibson wrote:
          > > David... Thanks! Just what I've been looking for: an alternative to
          > > Spotlight. I don't know how Apple got that so wrong (and most
          > > everything else is so right!)

          > I think that Spotlight is an exceptionally useful feature . .

          I like Spotlight (and am grateful to Gero Herrmann for writing the WP
          plug-in), but enough people don't that there are several alternatives,
          of two kinds. The first, best exemplified by EasyFind, simply does its
          own searching. Very good tool.

          The second kind is a revised interface for Spotlight, but which
          uses the Spotlight machinery. Laserlight and Notlight are examples
          of this.

          All of these are free at Version Tracker and MacUpdate.

          BTW my two most recent emails to Gero, of say three and six months
          ago, have gone unanswered. Anyone heard from him?