Re: [wpmac] Invisible shared folder in SS (was: And now the bad news)

    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 14, 2007
      John

      Definitely the latest build from this website. I think the problem is
      that I set The Files as the shared/Unix folder. However, The Files is
      merely a holding folder for several subfolders. Interestingly, I
      saved to a subfolder in The Files (actually, a sub-sub-subfolder)
      with no adverse consequences. The one that disappeared was one I had
      looked at within sheepshaver without using any files from it. I have
      now reverted to using the Users\myname\Documents folder and saving to
      a folder in that called WP Outputs; alternatively, I save to a folder
      on the Sheepshaver disk and then open that volume having quit and
      copy across to my OSX folders.

      Geoff

      >This error was thought to have been resolved in the new build, and I was
      >asked if you were sure that was the one you used. IAC it's addressed in
      >the FAQ file of Gwenole Beauchesne, who ported SS to OSX. This reads:
      >
      >> What if SheepShaver for OSX renders my shared file/folders invisible?
      >
      >> If you experience issues like disappearing folders or files, you have
      >> not set the "extfs" configuration-option correctly. Create a folder
      >> specially for sharing files with the host OS.
      >> Set it like this:
      >
      >> extfs /path/to/the/folder/you/like/to/share/foldername
      >
      >> To repair errors, you can use the following command:
      >
      >> /Developer/Tools/SetFile -a avbstclinmedz MyFileName
      >
      >I think the extfs command precedes the GUI interface to set the
      >shared folder, but the SetFile command should work. So it seems
      >there's still an issue with a large shared folder.
      >
      >The FAQ is at:
      >
      >http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/projects/sheepshaver/help/faq
      >
      >John R.
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • David Southall
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 15, 2007

        > >> What if SheepShaver for OSX renders my shared file/folders
        invisible?

        Geoff

        If you have files become invisible you may want to try EasyFind from

        http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/EasyFind.shtml

        This utility finds invisible files with ease. I also prefer it to
        Spotlight when looking for files with OS X 10.4.x

        Regards David
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 15, 2007
          David

          Thanks for this. I use Spotlaser for the same reason - so much easier
          to sort what you want to look for.

          >invisible?
          >

          >Geoff
          >
          >If you have files become invisible you may want to try EasyFind from
          >
          >http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/EasyFind.shtml
          >
          >This utility finds invisible files with ease. I also prefer it to
          >Spotlight when looking for files with OS X 10.4.x
          >
          >Regards David
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • tbgibson
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 16, 2007
            > This utility finds invisible files with ease. I also prefer it to
            > Spotlight when looking for files with OS X 10.4.x

            David... Thanks! Just what I've been looking for: an alternative to
            Spotlight. I don't know how Apple got that so wrong (and most
            everything else is so right!)

            The link you provided didn't work, but I found it here, on the
            developer's website. They also seem to have some other nice little
            programs...

            Direct link to program:
            http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/154551-BMWY/EasyFind.dmg.zip

            Developer's other programs:
            http://www.devon-technologies.com/download/index.html
          • Rick Albright
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 16, 2007
              On Jul 16, 2007, at 9:35 AM, tbgibson wrote:
              > David... Thanks! Just what I've been looking for: an alternative to
              > Spotlight. I don't know how Apple got that so wrong (and most
              > everything else is so right!)
              I think that Spotlight is an exceptionally useful feature. I teach
              English at a college that has Windoze machines in our offices. I'm
              often putting together course assignments, handouts, or syllabi that
              remind me of something I've done before (I prefer not to have to
              completely reinvent something if I can avoid it), and no matter how
              well I try to organize my files, without Spotlight it can be very
              time consuming to find what I need--a problem aggravated by the fact
              that I have used a number of different software packages over the
              years, and so these materials are in a number of different file
              formats--Word, WordPerfect, Appleworks, Mellel, RTF, etc.
              Fortunately, I do my work on my Mac at home and export files for the
              Windows XP computer in my office. Spotlight has really simplified my
              searches, allowing me to use one tool to quickly search my drives
              quickly. Sure, it has some minor quirks, but some superb features,
              too. One thing I especially appreciate is the the way the program
              design allows for plug-ins, extending its search capability to any
              file for which a plug-in exists, no matter how new the format, or how
              old (like WP).
              "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual
              warfare."
              --James Madison, 1793

              Rick Albright
              logres@...
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 19, 2007

                > On Jul 16, 2007, at 9:35 AM, tbgibson wrote:
                > > David... Thanks! Just what I've been looking for: an alternative to
                > > Spotlight. I don't know how Apple got that so wrong (and most
                > > everything else is so right!)

                > I think that Spotlight is an exceptionally useful feature . .

                I like Spotlight (and am grateful to Gero Herrmann for writing the WP
                plug-in), but enough people don't that there are several alternatives,
                of two kinds. The first, best exemplified by EasyFind, simply does its
                own searching. Very good tool.

                The second kind is a revised interface for Spotlight, but which
                uses the Spotlight machinery. Laserlight and Notlight are examples
                of this.

                All of these are free at Version Tracker and MacUpdate.

                BTW my two most recent emails to Gero, of say three and six months
                ago, have gone unanswered. Anyone heard from him?