Re: And now the bad news

    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 13, 2007

      > After I quit Sheepshaver, that folder was
      > invisible and hidden in OSX.

      I'm asking around about that. BTW did you try a restart at any point
      before the solution you took? Or verify your startup disk with Disk
      Utility?

      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 13, 2007
        John

        In the 16 hours it took me to resolve this crisis (the folder that
        went missing was my Articles folder which has every law review
        article I have ever written in my career as an academic), I
        restarted, I ran disk utility and several other programmes of a
        similar ilk. At one level, I knew I would only have lost a
        fortnight's work because it was all backed up, but the fact that it
        was there and invisible was in some ways even more disconcerting.

        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 14, 2007
          This error was thought to have been resolved in the new build, and I was
          asked if you were sure that was the one you used. IAC it's addressed in
          the FAQ file of Gwenole Beauchesne, who ported SS to OSX. This reads:

          > What if SheepShaver for OSX renders my shared file/folders invisible?

          > If you experience issues like disappearing folders or files, you have
          > not set the "extfs" configuration-option correctly. Create a folder
          > specially for sharing files with the host OS.
          > Set it like this:

          > extfs /path/to/the/folder/you/like/to/share/foldername

          > To repair errors, you can use the following command:

          > /Developer/Tools/SetFile -a avbstclinmedz MyFileName

          I think the extfs command precedes the GUI interface to set the
          shared folder, but the SetFile command should work. So it seems
          there's still an issue with a large shared folder.

          The FAQ is at:

          http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/projects/sheepshaver/help/faq

          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 14, 2007
            John

            Definitely the latest build from this website. I think the problem is
            that I set The Files as the shared/Unix folder. However, The Files is
            merely a holding folder for several subfolders. Interestingly, I
            saved to a subfolder in The Files (actually, a sub-sub-subfolder)
            with no adverse consequences. The one that disappeared was one I had
            looked at within sheepshaver without using any files from it. I have
            now reverted to using the Users\myname\Documents folder and saving to
            a folder in that called WP Outputs; alternatively, I save to a folder
            on the Sheepshaver disk and then open that volume having quit and
            copy across to my OSX folders.

            Geoff

            >This error was thought to have been resolved in the new build, and I was
            >asked if you were sure that was the one you used. IAC it's addressed in
            >the FAQ file of Gwenole Beauchesne, who ported SS to OSX. This reads:
            >
            >> What if SheepShaver for OSX renders my shared file/folders invisible?
            >
            >> If you experience issues like disappearing folders or files, you have
            >> not set the "extfs" configuration-option correctly. Create a folder
            >> specially for sharing files with the host OS.
            >> Set it like this:
            >
            >> extfs /path/to/the/folder/you/like/to/share/foldername
            >
            >> To repair errors, you can use the following command:
            >
            >> /Developer/Tools/SetFile -a avbstclinmedz MyFileName
            >
            >I think the extfs command precedes the GUI interface to set the
            >shared folder, but the SetFile command should work. So it seems
            >there's still an issue with a large shared folder.
            >
            >The FAQ is at:
            >
            >http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/projects/sheepshaver/help/faq
            >
            >John R.
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • David Southall
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 15, 2007

              > >> What if SheepShaver for OSX renders my shared file/folders
              invisible?

              Geoff

              If you have files become invisible you may want to try EasyFind from

              http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/EasyFind.shtml

              This utility finds invisible files with ease. I also prefer it to
              Spotlight when looking for files with OS X 10.4.x

              Regards David
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 15, 2007
                David

                Thanks for this. I use Spotlaser for the same reason - so much easier
                to sort what you want to look for.

                >invisible?
                >

                >Geoff
                >
                >If you have files become invisible you may want to try EasyFind from
                >
                >http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/EasyFind.shtml
                >
                >This utility finds invisible files with ease. I also prefer it to
                >Spotlight when looking for files with OS X 10.4.x
                >
                >Regards David
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • tbgibson
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 16, 2007
                  > This utility finds invisible files with ease. I also prefer it to
                  > Spotlight when looking for files with OS X 10.4.x

                  David... Thanks! Just what I've been looking for: an alternative to
                  Spotlight. I don't know how Apple got that so wrong (and most
                  everything else is so right!)

                  The link you provided didn't work, but I found it here, on the
                  developer's website. They also seem to have some other nice little
                  programs...

                  Direct link to program:
                  http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/154551-BMWY/EasyFind.dmg.zip

                  Developer's other programs:
                  http://www.devon-technologies.com/download/index.html
                • Rick Albright
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 16, 2007
                    On Jul 16, 2007, at 9:35 AM, tbgibson wrote:
                    > David... Thanks! Just what I've been looking for: an alternative to
                    > Spotlight. I don't know how Apple got that so wrong (and most
                    > everything else is so right!)
                    I think that Spotlight is an exceptionally useful feature. I teach
                    English at a college that has Windoze machines in our offices. I'm
                    often putting together course assignments, handouts, or syllabi that
                    remind me of something I've done before (I prefer not to have to
                    completely reinvent something if I can avoid it), and no matter how
                    well I try to organize my files, without Spotlight it can be very
                    time consuming to find what I need--a problem aggravated by the fact
                    that I have used a number of different software packages over the
                    years, and so these materials are in a number of different file
                    formats--Word, WordPerfect, Appleworks, Mellel, RTF, etc.
                    Fortunately, I do my work on my Mac at home and export files for the
                    Windows XP computer in my office. Spotlight has really simplified my
                    searches, allowing me to use one tool to quickly search my drives
                    quickly. Sure, it has some minor quirks, but some superb features,
                    too. One thing I especially appreciate is the the way the program
                    design allows for plug-ins, extending its search capability to any
                    file for which a plug-in exists, no matter how new the format, or how
                    old (like WP).
                    "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual
                    warfare."
                    --James Madison, 1793

                    Rick Albright
                    logres@...
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 19, 2007

                      > On Jul 16, 2007, at 9:35 AM, tbgibson wrote:
                      > > David... Thanks! Just what I've been looking for: an alternative to
                      > > Spotlight. I don't know how Apple got that so wrong (and most
                      > > everything else is so right!)

                      > I think that Spotlight is an exceptionally useful feature . .

                      I like Spotlight (and am grateful to Gero Herrmann for writing the WP
                      plug-in), but enough people don't that there are several alternatives,
                      of two kinds. The first, best exemplified by EasyFind, simply does its
                      own searching. Very good tool.

                      The second kind is a revised interface for Spotlight, but which
                      uses the Spotlight machinery. Laserlight and Notlight are examples
                      of this.

                      All of these are free at Version Tracker and MacUpdate.

                      BTW my two most recent emails to Gero, of say three and six months
                      ago, have gone unanswered. Anyone heard from him?