And now the bad news

    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 13, 2007
      I spoke too soon. Yes, the new Sheepshaver can see the 3.6Gb folder
      and all of its subfolders. It can even successfully save to one of
      those subfolders. However, I used Open in WP and looked at a
      different subfolder. After I quit Sheepshaver, that folder was
      invisible and hidden in OSX. In the end, using Spotlight, I could see
      the folder but not its contents; I turned it into a disk image,
      transferred the image to a different machine, mounted it and told the
      finder on that machine to see hidden files (it would not do that on
      the original machine). I then transferred the hidden files to a new
      folder on the original machine. Something about making that the Unix
      disk for Sheepshaver meant that that folder was 'disappeared' - I've
      gone back to using the Documents folder as the Unix disk and never
      opening files from it, only opening files that have previously been
      transferred to the Sheepshaver volume.

      Geoff

      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 13, 2007

        > After I quit Sheepshaver, that folder was
        > invisible and hidden in OSX.

        I'm asking around about that. BTW did you try a restart at any point
        before the solution you took? Or verify your startup disk with Disk
        Utility?

        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 13, 2007
          John

          In the 16 hours it took me to resolve this crisis (the folder that
          went missing was my Articles folder which has every law review
          article I have ever written in my career as an academic), I
          restarted, I ran disk utility and several other programmes of a
          similar ilk. At one level, I knew I would only have lost a
          fortnight's work because it was all backed up, but the fact that it
          was there and invisible was in some ways even more disconcerting.

          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 14, 2007
            This error was thought to have been resolved in the new build, and I was
            asked if you were sure that was the one you used. IAC it's addressed in
            the FAQ file of Gwenole Beauchesne, who ported SS to OSX. This reads:

            > What if SheepShaver for OSX renders my shared file/folders invisible?

            > If you experience issues like disappearing folders or files, you have
            > not set the "extfs" configuration-option correctly. Create a folder
            > specially for sharing files with the host OS.
            > Set it like this:

            > extfs /path/to/the/folder/you/like/to/share/foldername

            > To repair errors, you can use the following command:

            > /Developer/Tools/SetFile -a avbstclinmedz MyFileName

            I think the extfs command precedes the GUI interface to set the
            shared folder, but the SetFile command should work. So it seems
            there's still an issue with a large shared folder.

            The FAQ is at:

            http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/projects/sheepshaver/help/faq

            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 14, 2007
              John

              Definitely the latest build from this website. I think the problem is
              that I set The Files as the shared/Unix folder. However, The Files is
              merely a holding folder for several subfolders. Interestingly, I
              saved to a subfolder in The Files (actually, a sub-sub-subfolder)
              with no adverse consequences. The one that disappeared was one I had
              looked at within sheepshaver without using any files from it. I have
              now reverted to using the Users\myname\Documents folder and saving to
              a folder in that called WP Outputs; alternatively, I save to a folder
              on the Sheepshaver disk and then open that volume having quit and
              copy across to my OSX folders.

              Geoff

              >This error was thought to have been resolved in the new build, and I was
              >asked if you were sure that was the one you used. IAC it's addressed in
              >the FAQ file of Gwenole Beauchesne, who ported SS to OSX. This reads:
              >
              >> What if SheepShaver for OSX renders my shared file/folders invisible?
              >
              >> If you experience issues like disappearing folders or files, you have
              >> not set the "extfs" configuration-option correctly. Create a folder
              >> specially for sharing files with the host OS.
              >> Set it like this:
              >
              >> extfs /path/to/the/folder/you/like/to/share/foldername
              >
              >> To repair errors, you can use the following command:
              >
              >> /Developer/Tools/SetFile -a avbstclinmedz MyFileName
              >
              >I think the extfs command precedes the GUI interface to set the
              >shared folder, but the SetFile command should work. So it seems
              >there's still an issue with a large shared folder.
              >
              >The FAQ is at:
              >
              >http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/projects/sheepshaver/help/faq
              >
              >John R.
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • David Southall
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 15, 2007

                > >> What if SheepShaver for OSX renders my shared file/folders
                invisible?

                Geoff

                If you have files become invisible you may want to try EasyFind from

                http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/EasyFind.shtml

                This utility finds invisible files with ease. I also prefer it to
                Spotlight when looking for files with OS X 10.4.x

                Regards David
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 15, 2007
                  David

                  Thanks for this. I use Spotlaser for the same reason - so much easier
                  to sort what you want to look for.

                  >invisible?
                  >

                  >Geoff
                  >
                  >If you have files become invisible you may want to try EasyFind from
                  >
                  >http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/EasyFind.shtml
                  >
                  >This utility finds invisible files with ease. I also prefer it to
                  >Spotlight when looking for files with OS X 10.4.x
                  >
                  >Regards David
                  >

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • tbgibson
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 16, 2007
                    > This utility finds invisible files with ease. I also prefer it to
                    > Spotlight when looking for files with OS X 10.4.x

                    David... Thanks! Just what I've been looking for: an alternative to
                    Spotlight. I don't know how Apple got that so wrong (and most
                    everything else is so right!)

                    The link you provided didn't work, but I found it here, on the
                    developer's website. They also seem to have some other nice little
                    programs...

                    Direct link to program:
                    http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/154551-BMWY/EasyFind.dmg.zip

                    Developer's other programs:
                    http://www.devon-technologies.com/download/index.html
                  • Rick Albright
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 16, 2007
                      On Jul 16, 2007, at 9:35 AM, tbgibson wrote:
                      > David... Thanks! Just what I've been looking for: an alternative to
                      > Spotlight. I don't know how Apple got that so wrong (and most
                      > everything else is so right!)
                      I think that Spotlight is an exceptionally useful feature. I teach
                      English at a college that has Windoze machines in our offices. I'm
                      often putting together course assignments, handouts, or syllabi that
                      remind me of something I've done before (I prefer not to have to
                      completely reinvent something if I can avoid it), and no matter how
                      well I try to organize my files, without Spotlight it can be very
                      time consuming to find what I need--a problem aggravated by the fact
                      that I have used a number of different software packages over the
                      years, and so these materials are in a number of different file
                      formats--Word, WordPerfect, Appleworks, Mellel, RTF, etc.
                      Fortunately, I do my work on my Mac at home and export files for the
                      Windows XP computer in my office. Spotlight has really simplified my
                      searches, allowing me to use one tool to quickly search my drives
                      quickly. Sure, it has some minor quirks, but some superb features,
                      too. One thing I especially appreciate is the the way the program
                      design allows for plug-ins, extending its search capability to any
                      file for which a plug-in exists, no matter how new the format, or how
                      old (like WP).
                      "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual
                      warfare."
                      --James Madison, 1793

                      Rick Albright
                      logres@...
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 19, 2007

                        > On Jul 16, 2007, at 9:35 AM, tbgibson wrote:
                        > > David... Thanks! Just what I've been looking for: an alternative to
                        > > Spotlight. I don't know how Apple got that so wrong (and most
                        > > everything else is so right!)

                        > I think that Spotlight is an exceptionally useful feature . .

                        I like Spotlight (and am grateful to Gero Herrmann for writing the WP
                        plug-in), but enough people don't that there are several alternatives,
                        of two kinds. The first, best exemplified by EasyFind, simply does its
                        own searching. Very good tool.

                        The second kind is a revised interface for Spotlight, but which
                        uses the Spotlight machinery. Laserlight and Notlight are examples
                        of this.

                        All of these are free at Version Tracker and MacUpdate.

                        BTW my two most recent emails to Gero, of say three and six months
                        ago, have gone unanswered. Anyone heard from him?