RE: [wpmac] Re: SheepShaver Networking

  • Gilbert, Geoffrey S
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 12, 2007
      John

      I downloaded the new build of SheepShaver, pointed it my 3.6Gb folder of files as the Unix Disk and it happily sees everything.

      Fantastic

      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 13, 2007
        I spoke too soon. Yes, the new Sheepshaver can see the 3.6Gb folder
        and all of its subfolders. It can even successfully save to one of
        those subfolders. However, I used Open in WP and looked at a
        different subfolder. After I quit Sheepshaver, that folder was
        invisible and hidden in OSX. In the end, using Spotlight, I could see
        the folder but not its contents; I turned it into a disk image,
        transferred the image to a different machine, mounted it and told the
        finder on that machine to see hidden files (it would not do that on
        the original machine). I then transferred the hidden files to a new
        folder on the original machine. Something about making that the Unix
        disk for Sheepshaver meant that that folder was 'disappeared' - I've
        gone back to using the Documents folder as the Unix disk and never
        opening files from it, only opening files that have previously been
        transferred to the Sheepshaver volume.

        Geoff

        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 13, 2007

          > After I quit Sheepshaver, that folder was
          > invisible and hidden in OSX.

          I'm asking around about that. BTW did you try a restart at any point
          before the solution you took? Or verify your startup disk with Disk
          Utility?

          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 13, 2007
            John

            In the 16 hours it took me to resolve this crisis (the folder that
            went missing was my Articles folder which has every law review
            article I have ever written in my career as an academic), I
            restarted, I ran disk utility and several other programmes of a
            similar ilk. At one level, I knew I would only have lost a
            fortnight's work because it was all backed up, but the fact that it
            was there and invisible was in some ways even more disconcerting.

            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 14, 2007
              This error was thought to have been resolved in the new build, and I was
              asked if you were sure that was the one you used. IAC it's addressed in
              the FAQ file of Gwenole Beauchesne, who ported SS to OSX. This reads:

              > What if SheepShaver for OSX renders my shared file/folders invisible?

              > If you experience issues like disappearing folders or files, you have
              > not set the "extfs" configuration-option correctly. Create a folder
              > specially for sharing files with the host OS.
              > Set it like this:

              > extfs /path/to/the/folder/you/like/to/share/foldername

              > To repair errors, you can use the following command:

              > /Developer/Tools/SetFile -a avbstclinmedz MyFileName

              I think the extfs command precedes the GUI interface to set the
              shared folder, but the SetFile command should work. So it seems
              there's still an issue with a large shared folder.

              The FAQ is at:

              http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/projects/sheepshaver/help/faq

              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 14, 2007
                John

                Definitely the latest build from this website. I think the problem is
                that I set The Files as the shared/Unix folder. However, The Files is
                merely a holding folder for several subfolders. Interestingly, I
                saved to a subfolder in The Files (actually, a sub-sub-subfolder)
                with no adverse consequences. The one that disappeared was one I had
                looked at within sheepshaver without using any files from it. I have
                now reverted to using the Users\myname\Documents folder and saving to
                a folder in that called WP Outputs; alternatively, I save to a folder
                on the Sheepshaver disk and then open that volume having quit and
                copy across to my OSX folders.

                Geoff

                >This error was thought to have been resolved in the new build, and I was
                >asked if you were sure that was the one you used. IAC it's addressed in
                >the FAQ file of Gwenole Beauchesne, who ported SS to OSX. This reads:
                >
                >> What if SheepShaver for OSX renders my shared file/folders invisible?
                >
                >> If you experience issues like disappearing folders or files, you have
                >> not set the "extfs" configuration-option correctly. Create a folder
                >> specially for sharing files with the host OS.
                >> Set it like this:
                >
                >> extfs /path/to/the/folder/you/like/to/share/foldername
                >
                >> To repair errors, you can use the following command:
                >
                >> /Developer/Tools/SetFile -a avbstclinmedz MyFileName
                >
                >I think the extfs command precedes the GUI interface to set the
                >shared folder, but the SetFile command should work. So it seems
                >there's still an issue with a large shared folder.
                >
                >The FAQ is at:
                >
                >http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/projects/sheepshaver/help/faq
                >
                >John R.
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • David Southall
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 15, 2007

                  > >> What if SheepShaver for OSX renders my shared file/folders
                  invisible?

                  Geoff

                  If you have files become invisible you may want to try EasyFind from

                  http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/EasyFind.shtml

                  This utility finds invisible files with ease. I also prefer it to
                  Spotlight when looking for files with OS X 10.4.x

                  Regards David
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 15, 2007
                    David

                    Thanks for this. I use Spotlaser for the same reason - so much easier
                    to sort what you want to look for.

                    >invisible?
                    >

                    >Geoff
                    >
                    >If you have files become invisible you may want to try EasyFind from
                    >
                    >http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/EasyFind.shtml
                    >
                    >This utility finds invisible files with ease. I also prefer it to
                    >Spotlight when looking for files with OS X 10.4.x
                    >
                    >Regards David
                    >

                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • tbgibson
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 16, 2007
                      > This utility finds invisible files with ease. I also prefer it to
                      > Spotlight when looking for files with OS X 10.4.x

                      David... Thanks! Just what I've been looking for: an alternative to
                      Spotlight. I don't know how Apple got that so wrong (and most
                      everything else is so right!)

                      The link you provided didn't work, but I found it here, on the
                      developer's website. They also seem to have some other nice little
                      programs...

                      Direct link to program:
                      http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/154551-BMWY/EasyFind.dmg.zip

                      Developer's other programs:
                      http://www.devon-technologies.com/download/index.html
                    • Rick Albright
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 16, 2007
                        On Jul 16, 2007, at 9:35 AM, tbgibson wrote:
                        > David... Thanks! Just what I've been looking for: an alternative to
                        > Spotlight. I don't know how Apple got that so wrong (and most
                        > everything else is so right!)
                        I think that Spotlight is an exceptionally useful feature. I teach
                        English at a college that has Windoze machines in our offices. I'm
                        often putting together course assignments, handouts, or syllabi that
                        remind me of something I've done before (I prefer not to have to
                        completely reinvent something if I can avoid it), and no matter how
                        well I try to organize my files, without Spotlight it can be very
                        time consuming to find what I need--a problem aggravated by the fact
                        that I have used a number of different software packages over the
                        years, and so these materials are in a number of different file
                        formats--Word, WordPerfect, Appleworks, Mellel, RTF, etc.
                        Fortunately, I do my work on my Mac at home and export files for the
                        Windows XP computer in my office. Spotlight has really simplified my
                        searches, allowing me to use one tool to quickly search my drives
                        quickly. Sure, it has some minor quirks, but some superb features,
                        too. One thing I especially appreciate is the the way the program
                        design allows for plug-ins, extending its search capability to any
                        file for which a plug-in exists, no matter how new the format, or how
                        old (like WP).
                        "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual
                        warfare."
                        --James Madison, 1793

                        Rick Albright
                        logres@...
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 19, 2007

                          > On Jul 16, 2007, at 9:35 AM, tbgibson wrote:
                          > > David... Thanks! Just what I've been looking for: an alternative to
                          > > Spotlight. I don't know how Apple got that so wrong (and most
                          > > everything else is so right!)

                          > I think that Spotlight is an exceptionally useful feature . .

                          I like Spotlight (and am grateful to Gero Herrmann for writing the WP
                          plug-in), but enough people don't that there are several alternatives,
                          of two kinds. The first, best exemplified by EasyFind, simply does its
                          own searching. Very good tool.

                          The second kind is a revised interface for Spotlight, but which
                          uses the Spotlight machinery. Laserlight and Notlight are examples
                          of this.

                          All of these are free at Version Tracker and MacUpdate.

                          BTW my two most recent emails to Gero, of say three and six months
                          ago, have gone unanswered. Anyone heard from him?