Re: SheepShaver Networking

    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 8 8:56 PM

      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@> wrote:
      >
      > > Is Sheepshaver 2.3 the version we have from your download?
      >
      > Yes. Build of 5/14/06.

      Or 14/5/06, as you say on that side of the pond. Sorry :-)

      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 8 9:17 PM
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "David Southall" <dragoroo@...> wrote:

        > Due to WP's DOS roots the macro for changing page size and orientation
        > requires that you force the page size required in pixels with:-
        >
        > Page Setup Options (594;841;0.0cm;Fixed) ; A4 Laser 7.2
        > If (PageWidth!=594|PageHeight!=841)
        > ...followed by actions if the page options attempted were not accepted.
        >
        > The US was not badly effected by this but when using A4 paper the
        > various print drivers required slightly different pixel sizes to
        > coerce A4 paper size depending on the printer selected.
        >
        > My Page Check (Setup) macro just tries all known A4 page sizes until
        > one is accepted. At the moment in SS none of the sizes is accepted but
        > I'm sure that a workaround will be possible.

        Curious. I tried recording a macro and opening Page Setup, with the
        Adobe PS driver that's in the SheepShaver package. Setting it to A4
        gave me:

        Page Setup Options (595;842;0.0in;Fixed)

        and setting it to US Letter gave me:

        Page Setup Options (612;792;0.0in;Fixed)

        but neither of those macros works when run.

        John R.
      • Gilbert, Geoffrey S
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 9 9:28 AM
          John

          This would be above and beyond the call of duty, but I guess I could spare a whole gig or two to Sheepshaver rather than a mere 500Mb. I might even install 8.6 on the new hard disk (I have the original CDs). Could you provide an idiot's guide to how to create a Sheepshaver hard disk, install a fresh system on it and then make it the default startup disk?

          If this is too much of a bind, just say so. The system you supplied works fine and everything I want to do is perfectly possible, but I do find that for special items I need to drag over a specific file because I can't keep all my materials on 500Mb.

          Geoff

          > > Is Sheepshaver 2.3 the version we have from your download?
          >
          > Yes. Build of 5/14/06.

          Or 14/5/06, as you say on that side of the pond. Sorry :-)

          John R.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • David Southall
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 9 5:13 PM
            To johndc@...

            Your message on this subject was received in an form unreadable by the
            yahoo mail post office. Please re-submit.

            Regards David
            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 9 5:57 PM
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Gilbert, Geoffrey S" <Geoff@...> wrote:

              > This would be above and beyond the call of duty, but I guess I
              > could spare a whole gig or two to Sheepshaver rather than a mere
              > 500Mb. I might even install 8.6 on the new hard disk (I have the
              > original CDs). Could you provide an idiot's guide to how to create
              > a Sheepshaver hard disk, install a fresh system on it and then make
              > it the default startup disk?

              Open SheepShaverGUI. It will show the Volumes tab. Click Create.
              Enter the size you want and where you want it. Then, in the Volumes
              list, delete the 500mb image by selecting it and clicking Remove.
              Add your new volume. With the installer CD in the drive, click Start.
              SS should boot off the CD and let you install the OS on the new
              volume.

              > The system you supplied works fine and everything I want to do
              > is perfectly possible, but I do find that for special items I need
              > to drag over a specific file because I can't keep all my materials on
              > 500Mb.

              Can you use the transfer folder? I don't know of a size limit on it.
              It apparently will not see folders originally created on an OS 9 Mac,
              but otherwise is just fine.

              Note that if you drag a file or folder from the transfer folder onto
              the SS desktop, you're not actually copying it to the SS image.
              Instead, it's going into a desktop folder the OS will create in the
              transfer folder. This gives you the equivalent of an alias on the SS
              desktop (or you can make real aliases) for files that are still in
              the OSX transfer folder.

              John R.
            • Gilbert, Geoffrey S

                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 10 6:42 AM
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Gilbert, Geoffrey S" <Geoff@...> wrote:

                  > That Work folder is 3.96Gb. I tried pointing Sheepshaver at it so
                  > that it could use it as the transfer folder. Sheepshaver gave up
                  > and could not see some of the larger subfolders.

                  Were any of those subfolders originally created on a Mac running an
                  OS earlier than X? What is the max. size of subfolders that SS can see?
                  Have you tried giving SS more memory? My install specifies 256mb;
                  I don't know what the effect is of more than that.

                  BTW a workaround for pasting text from an OSX pdf into WP under
                  SS: paste the text into a SimpleText file. It goes, but formatting is
                  crazy. Save, close and reopen the SimpleText file; the formatting
                  should be fixed. Copy and paste from there into WP. That's enough
                  steps to be useful only to save a fair amount of formatting, though.

                  John R.
                • Gilbert, Geoffrey S
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 12 3:21 AM
                    John

                    I downloaded the new build of SheepShaver, pointed it my 3.6Gb folder of files as the Unix Disk and it happily sees everything.

                    Fantastic

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 13 2:43 PM
                      I spoke too soon. Yes, the new Sheepshaver can see the 3.6Gb folder
                      and all of its subfolders. It can even successfully save to one of
                      those subfolders. However, I used Open in WP and looked at a
                      different subfolder. After I quit Sheepshaver, that folder was
                      invisible and hidden in OSX. In the end, using Spotlight, I could see
                      the folder but not its contents; I turned it into a disk image,
                      transferred the image to a different machine, mounted it and told the
                      finder on that machine to see hidden files (it would not do that on
                      the original machine). I then transferred the hidden files to a new
                      folder on the original machine. Something about making that the Unix
                      disk for Sheepshaver meant that that folder was 'disappeared' - I've
                      gone back to using the Documents folder as the Unix disk and never
                      opening files from it, only opening files that have previously been
                      transferred to the Sheepshaver volume.

                      Geoff

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 13 8:30 PM

                        > After I quit Sheepshaver, that folder was
                        > invisible and hidden in OSX.

                        I'm asking around about that. BTW did you try a restart at any point
                        before the solution you took? Or verify your startup disk with Disk
                        Utility?

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 13 10:31 PM
                          John

                          In the 16 hours it took me to resolve this crisis (the folder that
                          went missing was my Articles folder which has every law review
                          article I have ever written in my career as an academic), I
                          restarted, I ran disk utility and several other programmes of a
                          similar ilk. At one level, I knew I would only have lost a
                          fortnight's work because it was all backed up, but the fact that it
                          was there and invisible was in some ways even more disconcerting.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 14 9:13 AM
                            This error was thought to have been resolved in the new build, and I was
                            asked if you were sure that was the one you used. IAC it's addressed in
                            the FAQ file of Gwenole Beauchesne, who ported SS to OSX. This reads:

                            > What if SheepShaver for OSX renders my shared file/folders invisible?

                            > If you experience issues like disappearing folders or files, you have
                            > not set the "extfs" configuration-option correctly. Create a folder
                            > specially for sharing files with the host OS.
                            > Set it like this:

                            > extfs /path/to/the/folder/you/like/to/share/foldername

                            > To repair errors, you can use the following command:

                            > /Developer/Tools/SetFile -a avbstclinmedz MyFileName

                            I think the extfs command precedes the GUI interface to set the
                            shared folder, but the SetFile command should work. So it seems
                            there's still an issue with a large shared folder.

                            The FAQ is at:

                            http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/projects/sheepshaver/help/faq

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 14 10:41 AM
                              John

                              Definitely the latest build from this website. I think the problem is
                              that I set The Files as the shared/Unix folder. However, The Files is
                              merely a holding folder for several subfolders. Interestingly, I
                              saved to a subfolder in The Files (actually, a sub-sub-subfolder)
                              with no adverse consequences. The one that disappeared was one I had
                              looked at within sheepshaver without using any files from it. I have
                              now reverted to using the Users\myname\Documents folder and saving to
                              a folder in that called WP Outputs; alternatively, I save to a folder
                              on the Sheepshaver disk and then open that volume having quit and
                              copy across to my OSX folders.

                              Geoff

                              >This error was thought to have been resolved in the new build, and I was
                              >asked if you were sure that was the one you used. IAC it's addressed in
                              >the FAQ file of Gwenole Beauchesne, who ported SS to OSX. This reads:
                              >
                              >> What if SheepShaver for OSX renders my shared file/folders invisible?
                              >
                              >> If you experience issues like disappearing folders or files, you have
                              >> not set the "extfs" configuration-option correctly. Create a folder
                              >> specially for sharing files with the host OS.
                              >> Set it like this:
                              >
                              >> extfs /path/to/the/folder/you/like/to/share/foldername
                              >
                              >> To repair errors, you can use the following command:
                              >
                              >> /Developer/Tools/SetFile -a avbstclinmedz MyFileName
                              >
                              >I think the extfs command precedes the GUI interface to set the
                              >shared folder, but the SetFile command should work. So it seems
                              >there's still an issue with a large shared folder.
                              >
                              >The FAQ is at:
                              >
                              >http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/en/projects/sheepshaver/help/faq
                              >
                              >John R.
                              >

                              >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • David Southall
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 15 3:59 AM

                                > >> What if SheepShaver for OSX renders my shared file/folders
                                invisible?

                                Geoff

                                If you have files become invisible you may want to try EasyFind from

                                http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/EasyFind.shtml

                                This utility finds invisible files with ease. I also prefer it to
                                Spotlight when looking for files with OS X 10.4.x

                                Regards David
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 15 6:13 AM
                                  David

                                  Thanks for this. I use Spotlaser for the same reason - so much easier
                                  to sort what you want to look for.

                                  >invisible?
                                  >

                                  >Geoff
                                  >
                                  >If you have files become invisible you may want to try EasyFind from
                                  >
                                  >http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/EasyFind.shtml
                                  >
                                  >This utility finds invisible files with ease. I also prefer it to
                                  >Spotlight when looking for files with OS X 10.4.x
                                  >
                                  >Regards David
                                  >

                                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • tbgibson
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 16 6:35 AM
                                    > This utility finds invisible files with ease. I also prefer it to
                                    > Spotlight when looking for files with OS X 10.4.x

                                    David... Thanks! Just what I've been looking for: an alternative to
                                    Spotlight. I don't know how Apple got that so wrong (and most
                                    everything else is so right!)

                                    The link you provided didn't work, but I found it here, on the
                                    developer's website. They also seem to have some other nice little
                                    programs...

                                    Direct link to program:
                                    http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/154551-BMWY/EasyFind.dmg.zip

                                    Developer's other programs:
                                    http://www.devon-technologies.com/download/index.html
                                  • Rick Albright
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 16 7:12 PM
                                      On Jul 16, 2007, at 9:35 AM, tbgibson wrote:
                                      > David... Thanks! Just what I've been looking for: an alternative to
                                      > Spotlight. I don't know how Apple got that so wrong (and most
                                      > everything else is so right!)
                                      I think that Spotlight is an exceptionally useful feature. I teach
                                      English at a college that has Windoze machines in our offices. I'm
                                      often putting together course assignments, handouts, or syllabi that
                                      remind me of something I've done before (I prefer not to have to
                                      completely reinvent something if I can avoid it), and no matter how
                                      well I try to organize my files, without Spotlight it can be very
                                      time consuming to find what I need--a problem aggravated by the fact
                                      that I have used a number of different software packages over the
                                      years, and so these materials are in a number of different file
                                      formats--Word, WordPerfect, Appleworks, Mellel, RTF, etc.
                                      Fortunately, I do my work on my Mac at home and export files for the
                                      Windows XP computer in my office. Spotlight has really simplified my
                                      searches, allowing me to use one tool to quickly search my drives
                                      quickly. Sure, it has some minor quirks, but some superb features,
                                      too. One thing I especially appreciate is the the way the program
                                      design allows for plug-ins, extending its search capability to any
                                      file for which a plug-in exists, no matter how new the format, or how
                                      old (like WP).
                                      "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual
                                      warfare."
                                      --James Madison, 1793

                                      Rick Albright
                                      logres@...
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jul 19 5:02 PM

                                        > On Jul 16, 2007, at 9:35 AM, tbgibson wrote:
                                        > > David... Thanks! Just what I've been looking for: an alternative to
                                        > > Spotlight. I don't know how Apple got that so wrong (and most
                                        > > everything else is so right!)

                                        > I think that Spotlight is an exceptionally useful feature . .

                                        I like Spotlight (and am grateful to Gero Herrmann for writing the WP
                                        plug-in), but enough people don't that there are several alternatives,
                                        of two kinds. The first, best exemplified by EasyFind, simply does its
                                        own searching. Very good tool.

                                        The second kind is a revised interface for Spotlight, but which
                                        uses the Spotlight machinery. Laserlight and Notlight are examples
                                        of this.

                                        All of these are free at Version Tracker and MacUpdate.

                                        BTW my two most recent emails to Gero, of say three and six months
                                        ago, have gone unanswered. Anyone heard from him?