SheepShaver Boot Disks

  • David Southall
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 7, 2007
      This post is for information only for anyone using or contemplating
      the use of SheepShaver.

      While experimenting with SheepShaver I experienced the reported
      problems with bootable disk images until I realised that although
      HFS+.dmg images are said to be "supported" they don't seem to work as
      a boot disk or sometimes even as a data disk.

      The current Disk Utility in OS X 10.4.10 does not even give you the
      ability to create a blank Standard HFS .dmg file. Even if you specify
      a HFS partition it actually produces a Journalled HFS+ image which is
      why, I guess, so many people have problems with installs. If you make
      sure you have a HFS .dmg file you can even drag copy to the image and
      it will boot. The Create button in SS is the best way to make a HFS
      image file of any size.

      If you use Disk Utility and Disk First Aid on HFS+ .dmg files you will
      frequently find multiple directory problems. I don't think the need
      for HFS .dmg image files has been emphasised enough in the SS
      documentation. All of my SS boot disk problems disappeared after this
      discovery. I haven't had a data image directory corruption after
      changing the data images as well.

      Regards David
    • somniferous1
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 31, 2007
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "David Southall" <dragoroo@...> wrote:

        > This post is for information only for anyone using or contemplating
        > the use of SheepShaver.
        >
        > While experimenting with SheepShaver I experienced the reported
        > problems with bootable disk images until I realised that although
        > HFS+.dmg images are said to be "supported" they don't seem to work as
        > a boot disk or sometimes even as a data disk.
        >
        > The current Disk Utility in OS X 10.4.10 does not even give you the
        > ability to create a blank Standard HFS .dmg file. Even if you specify
        > a HFS partition it actually produces a Journalled HFS+ image which is
        > why, I guess, so many people have problems with installs. If you make
        > sure you have a HFS .dmg file you can even drag copy to the image and
        > it will boot. The Create button in SS is the best way to make a HFS
        > image file of any size.
        >
        > If you use Disk Utility and Disk First Aid on HFS+ .dmg files you will
        > frequently find multiple directory problems. I don't think the need
        > for HFS .dmg image files has been emphasised enough in the SS
        > documentation. All of my SS boot disk problems disappeared after this
        > discovery. I haven't had a data image directory corruption after
        > changing the data images as well.
        >
        > Regards David

        Hello David,

        I am new to this group and urgently in need of getting sheepshaver
        to work. I have been trying to get it to work on the PC and although
        I can get the installer to open I am unable to install the operating
        system (os 8.6) because it is a bundled system that came with my
        G3 powerbook. I have seen instructions that tell me I can use
        RegEdit and make changes to the disk but this seems above and
        beyone the call of duty.

        What does this mena HFS+? Can I do it with the disk I currently
        have? I hate the idea of carrying two computers. (G3 and Intel)

        Best,

        Jessica
      • David Southall
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, somniferous1 <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > Hello David,
          >
          > I am new to this group and urgently in need of getting sheepshaver
          > to work. I have been trying to get it to work on the PC and although
          > I can get the installer to open I am unable to install the operating
          > system (os 8.6) because it is a bundled system that came with my
          > G3 powerbook. I have seen instructions that tell me I can use
          > RegEdit and make changes to the disk but this seems above and
          > beyone the call of duty.
          >
          > What does this mena HFS+? Can I do it with the disk I currently
          > have? I hate the idea of carrying two computers. (G3 and Intel)

          HFS (Hierarchical Filing System) is the disk format used up to System
          9. HFS+ is an improved version which supports much bigger disk sizes.
          It started at around system 9 and is the current default disk format.

          The oldest OSs do not understand HFS+ or if they do the emulators (SS
          and Basilisk) do not provide complete support.
          > > The Create button in SS is the best way to make a HFS
          > > image file of any size.

          When you create a blank virtual disk with SheepShaverGUI.app it
          creates a blank HFS volume.

          When you create a blank virtual disk (.dmg) with OSX's Disk Utility it
          usually creates a HFS+ .dmg file. It is these files that seem to have
          problems when using the installer. Some work, some don't.

          In the Links section look for a big dowload called
          SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install - SS-WP.zip. It contains a complete
          OS9 install. The installer scripts that are unzipped are for MacOSX
          but in the Install Items>SheepShaver folder you will find the
          components that you need for your installation. The .dmg file is HFS+
          but this one works successfully. If you use the files provided you
          can also be assured that you have a compatible ROM.

          Use the instructions at
          http://www.ipgp.jussieu.fr/~cogne/pub/site_perso/SheepShaver_Help/
          SheepShaver_Help_PC.pdf
          to install on a PC

          You do not appear to have sufficient background knowledge to use
          ResEdit to modify your OS8.5 Installer disk so I would not recommend
          that you try that exercise yourself. If you must us OS8.5 then seek
          more information before making the attempt.

          Regards David
        • J Bell
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5, 2007
            Dear David,

            I actually have started just as you suggested, (ie downloading
            SS-WP.zip, downloading directions from the link) and have done all the
            steps in the directions. I use my OS8.6 (bundled) and have
            successfully seen the desktop. After from my OS8.6 bundled version I
            successfully completed the installation of the 7.5.3 disk images
            provided by Apple.

            The 7.5.3 is the Operating system that after it is loaded and I
            restart the computer gives me the error message: "This CD will not
            operate on this macintosh...etc". Or something to that effect. I
            then have to control-alt-delete to free myself from SS. I would
            appreciate getting to know how to get beyond this point. I wish to be
            able to start loading applications and using the OS.

            Could part of the problem be that that I use the OS8.6 (bundled) CD to
            initially boot while I install the 7.5.3? I do hate hacking when I
            don't understand what is happening. Perhaps you can point to the
            error of my ways.

            The instructions provided got me far enough...but I still can't boot
            independent of the OS8.6 (bundled) CD.

            Thank you for any help you can offer.

            On 8/1/07, David Southall <dragoroo@...> wrote:

            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, somniferous1 <no_reply@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > Hello David,
            > >
            > > I am new to this group and urgently in need of getting sheepshaver
            > > to work. I have been trying to get it to work on the PC and although
            > > I can get the installer to open I am unable to install the operating
            > > system (os 8.6) because it is a bundled system that came with my
            > > G3 powerbook. I have seen instructions that tell me I can use
            > > RegEdit and make changes to the disk but this seems above and
            > > beyone the call of duty.
            > >
            > > What does this mena HFS+? Can I do it with the disk I currently
            > > have? I hate the idea of carrying two computers. (G3 and Intel)
            >
            > HFS (Hierarchical Filing System) is the disk format used up to System
            > 9. HFS+ is an improved version which supports much bigger disk sizes.
            > It started at around system 9 and is the current default disk format.
            >
            > The oldest OSs do not understand HFS+ or if they do the emulators (SS
            > and Basilisk) do not provide complete support.
            > > > The Create button in SS is the best way to make a HFS
            > > > image file of any size.
            > > >
            > When you create a blank virtual disk with SheepShaverGUI.app it
            > creates a blank HFS volume.
            >
            > When you create a blank virtual disk (.dmg) with OSX's Disk Utility it
            > usually creates a HFS+ .dmg file. It is these files that seem to have
            > problems when using the installer. Some work, some don't.
            >
            > In the Links section look for a big dowload called
            > SheepShaver-WordPerfect Install - SS-WP.zip. It contains a complete
            > OS9 install. The installer scripts that are unzipped are for MacOSX
            > but in the Install Items>SheepShaver folder you will find the
            > components that you need for your installation. The .dmg file is HFS+
            > but this one works successfully. If you use the files provided you
            > can also be assured that you have a compatible ROM.
            >
            > Use the instructions at
            > http://www.ipgp.jussieu.fr/~cogne/pub/site_perso/SheepShaver_Help/
            > SheepShaver_Help_PC.pdf
            > to install on a PC
            >
            > You do not appear to have sufficient background knowledge to use
            > ResEdit to modify your OS8.5 Installer disk so I would not recommend
            > that you try that exercise yourself. If you must us OS8.5 then seek
            > more information before making the attempt.
            >
            > Regards David

          • David Southall
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 6, 2007
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J Bell" <bellja1@...> wrote:

              > Dear David,
              >
              > I actually have started just as you suggested, (ie downloading
              > SS-WP.zip, downloading directions from the link) and have done all the
              > steps in the directions. I use my OS8.6 (bundled) and have
              > successfully seen the desktop. After from my OS8.6 bundled version I
              > successfully completed the installation of the 7.5.3 disk images
              > provided by Apple.
              >
              > The 7.5.3 is the Operating system that after it is loaded and I
              > restart the computer gives me the error message: "This CD will not
              > operate on this macintosh...etc". Or something to that effect. I
              > then have to control-alt-delete to free myself from SS. I would
              > appreciate getting to know how to get beyond this point. I wish to be
              > able to start loading applications and using the OS.
              >
              > Could part of the problem be that that I use the OS8.6 (bundled) CD to
              > initially boot while I install the 7.5.3? I do hate hacking when I
              > don't understand what is happening. Perhaps you can point to the
              > error of my ways.
              >
              > The instructions provided got me far enough...but I still can't boot
              > independent of the OS8.6 (bundled) CD.
              >
              > Thank you for any help you can offer.

              I will attempt to duplicate the problem that you are experiencing but
              am unable to do so until Wednesday.

              Regards David
            • David Southall
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 8, 2007
                > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J Bell" <bellja1@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Dear David,
                > >
                > > I actually have started just as you suggested, (ie downloading
                > > SS-WP.zip, downloading directions from the link) and have done all the
                > > steps in the directions. I use my OS8.6 (bundled) and have
                > > successfully seen the desktop. After from my OS8.6 bundled version I
                > > successfully completed the installation of the 7.5.3 disk images
                > > provided by Apple.
                > >
                > > The 7.5.3 is the Operating system that after it is loaded and I
                > > restart the computer gives me the error message: "This CD will not
                > > operate on this macintosh...etc". Or something to that effect. I
                > > then have to control-alt-delete to free myself from SS. I would
                > > appreciate getting to know how to get beyond this point. I wish to be
                > > able to start loading applications and using the OS.
                > >
                > > Could part of the problem be that that I use the OS8.6 (bundled) CD to
                > > initially boot while I install the 7.5.3? I do hate hacking when I
                > > don't understand what is happening. Perhaps you can point to the
                > > error of my ways.
                > >
                > > The instructions provided got me far enough...but I still can't boot
                > > independent of the OS8.6 (bundled) CD.
                > >
                > > Thank you for any help you can offer.
                > >

                > I will attempt to duplicate the problem that you are experiencing but
                > am unable to do so until Wednesday.
                >
                > Regards David

                Dear J Bell

                The Apple supplied images must use OS9 or possibly OS7 or 8 to
                reconstruct the installer. Classic will not work but if you boot into
                OS9 the Apple supplied image files will create the intaller with no
                problem.

                I copied the installer files to a blank CD. I used Toast but any CD
                burning software should work since you are performing a simple drag copy.

                I created a blank 100MB image with SS GUI and then started SS with
                9.0.4 and ran the installer from the CD and installed onto the 100MB
                image just created. I could also intall from the same files on my
                local OSX boot disk.

                I then tried to boot from the 7.5.3 and couldn't. By changing to
                mac_oldworld_rom4mb I started to load 7.5.3 but then crashed.

                More research shows that to use 7.5.3 you must use the PC version of
                SheepShaver. The Mac version supports from OS*.x to 9.0.4.

                The image file created above should work on a PC.

                Refer to
                http://emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4093&sid=fa7da1dc77213128d56c0277df383542

                for more information and confirmation that the PC version will work.

                Regards David