Vintage Gaming on Sheepshaver

  • balladproductions
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2007
      A while back I downloaded a bunch of classic mac games from Macintosh
      Garden and was really disappointed that they couldn't run on my intel
      MacBook. I downloaded John's ready-to-go Sheepshaver to see if it
      would work. I've got it up and running, but it won't recognized some
      of my files. They have turned into blank document icons that can't
      find the program that created it. I managed to get monkey island I
      working and Flashback.. but the sound and video is choppy. Other
      vintage games I want to run are Quest for Glory I, Monkey Island II,
      Wolfenstein: Spear of Destiny, Legend of Kyrandia, and Castles Siege
      and Conquest. Is it because they aren't meant for system 7.5? I'm
      pretty sure I ran them on system 7.5 back in the day.
      Also, I've been finding if I drag a file across the screen it moves
      pretty choppy... what can a I do to get these games and SheepShaver
      running smoothly?

      Any tips?

      Thanks,
      Zach
    • kevin

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 30, 2007
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, kevin <ksaunders242@...> wrote:

          > I downloaded John's ready-to-go Sheepshaver to see if it
          > would work. I've got it up and running, but it won't recognized some
          > of my files. They have turned into blank document icons that can't
          > find the program that created it.

          This happens occasionaly. Open the files using the program that created
          them, make and save some small change, and close. Then rebuild
          SheepShaver's desktop, using the Desktop Reset utility in the Utilities
          folder.

          For WP files, if they lose their icon when copied into SheepShaver, just
          drop them on the "Set Files to WP" droplet on the SS desktop.

          If you want to make a copy of that droplet to regularly set other files,
          open a copy of the droplet in Script Editor, in the SS Utilities folder.
          Find the lines:

          set creator type of i to "WPC2"
          set file type of i to "WPD4"

          Change the four-letter codes in quotes to the creator and file types of the
          program. You can get creator and file type codes for a program using
          any of several free file utilities such as File Buddy.