Re: Assigning F-key to macro

  • Bob Stern
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2007
      John Sandel wrote:

      >When I press, e.g., the F5 key to assign it a macro, OS X turns on
      >the iBook's Num Lock and my key choice doesn't appear in the
      >Keystroke field of the Assign Keystroke dialog box.

      On a Mac laptop, by default the F1-F12 keys control hardware
      functions such as display brightness, sound volume, etc. To make
      these keys control software as they do on a desktop Mac, hold the fn
      key while pressing any of the F1-F12 keys.

      To reverse this behavior on your iBook -- ie, to eliminate the need
      to press the fn key -- go to OS X Preferences > Keyboard and tick the
      box "Use F1-F12 keys for software features."
      --

      Bob Stern