Re: [wpmac] Is there really a version of WP for the Mac?

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
      If you have X3, why not simply try it and see? (X3 opens WPMac files
      very happily on my Windows system; it may make things slightly easier
      if you save them in WPMac with the extension .WPD but that probably
      isn't necessary.)

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
        I had tried, but it was unsuccessful. However, the file did not have
        a wpd extension, so I'll repeat the exercise.

        Thanks

        Geoff

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
          No, that did not work. It said unrecognized file format.

          Geoff

          >If you have X3, why not simply try it and see? (X3 opens WPMac files
          >very happily on my Windows system; it may make things slightly easier
          >if you save them in WPMac with the extension .WPD but that probably
          >isn't necessary.)

          >> I have X3 under Parallels. Is there a way for WPWin to open WPMac
          >> files directly or do I need to save as WP6 in the WPMac dialog?
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
            Geoff, I recently played around with WPWin 11, and it will import WPMac
            files, though WPMac is not listed under export formats. The trick is
            that the WPMac files have to be in the 3.x format rather than 3.5e AKA
            WPMac 4. Save As WP 3.x, or use the droplet in John’s WordPerfect Tips
            & Macros under File types:

            "You might want to change some files from WP version 3’s format to the
            newer 3.5e type or vice versa, for example to import into a page layout
            program. This AppleScript does it easily. It’s a droplet, so you can
            drag and drop one or more files on it in the Finder, or double-click to
            open and choose a file to change. Save this script in your AppleScript
            editor as an application, not showing startup screen:

            on run
            set theFile to choose file with prompt "Choose a file:"
            doIt(theFile)
            end run

            on open theDrop
            repeat with theFile in theDrop
            doIt(theFile)
            end repeat
            end open

            on doIt(theFile)
            tell application "Finder"
            if file type of theFile contains "WPD3" then
            set file type of theFile to "WPD4"
            else if file type of theFile contains "WPD4" then
            set file type of theFile to "WPD3"
            end if
            end tell
            end doIt

            "

            John, hope you don't mind my simply pasting your AppleScript into the
            message like this. I have used it a lot.

            ALSO, the file has to have the .wpm file extension for WPWin to open it
            (don't know if .wpd would work, haven't tried that; I do these
            experiments on a PC at the hospital that has WPWin 11 installed).

            Hope this helps.

            Tom

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D." <TJRostaf@...>
              wrote:

              > John, hope you don't mind my simply pasting your AppleScript into the
              > message like this. I have used it a lot.

              Not at all. Glad it's useful.

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
                Tom

                Thanks for this. I'll test it out as soon as Parallels 3 allows me
                to. Upgrades, why bother.

                Geoff

              • colin wilson
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 8, 2007
                  Hi

                  I expect this has been said before but being a newbie
                  here it might help other newbies but all WP files (and
                  word too) open with NeoOffice - a free software
                  programme from www.neooffice.org

                  The only problem I found is that it doesn't always
                  format the page in exactly the same way the original
                  WP had and whilst you can reformat it back in Word it
                  doesn't have the same facility for WP.

                  Never the less it is very good programme and I use it
                  a lot.

                  Colin