Re: [wpmac] Is there really a version of WP for the Mac?

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 6, 2007
      >BTW, WPWin did at one time have filters to open WPMac 3 files and to
      >save as WPMac, I think thru WP 10, but the version I have, 11, lacks
      >this feature.
      >Tom
      Tom

      I have X3 under Parallels. Is there a way for WPWin to open WPMac
      files directly or do I need to save as WP6 in the WPMac dialog?

      Thanks
      Geoff
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
        If you have X3, why not simply try it and see? (X3 opens WPMac files
        very happily on my Windows system; it may make things slightly easier
        if you save them in WPMac with the extension .WPD but that probably
        isn't necessary.)

        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
          I had tried, but it was unsuccessful. However, the file did not have
          a wpd extension, so I'll repeat the exercise.

          Thanks

          Geoff

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
            No, that did not work. It said unrecognized file format.

            Geoff

            >If you have X3, why not simply try it and see? (X3 opens WPMac files
            >very happily on my Windows system; it may make things slightly easier
            >if you save them in WPMac with the extension .WPD but that probably
            >isn't necessary.)

            >> I have X3 under Parallels. Is there a way for WPWin to open WPMac
            >> files directly or do I need to save as WP6 in the WPMac dialog?
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
              Geoff, I recently played around with WPWin 11, and it will import WPMac
              files, though WPMac is not listed under export formats. The trick is
              that the WPMac files have to be in the 3.x format rather than 3.5e AKA
              WPMac 4. Save As WP 3.x, or use the droplet in John’s WordPerfect Tips
              & Macros under File types:

              "You might want to change some files from WP version 3’s format to the
              newer 3.5e type or vice versa, for example to import into a page layout
              program. This AppleScript does it easily. It’s a droplet, so you can
              drag and drop one or more files on it in the Finder, or double-click to
              open and choose a file to change. Save this script in your AppleScript
              editor as an application, not showing startup screen:

              on run
              set theFile to choose file with prompt "Choose a file:"
              doIt(theFile)
              end run

              on open theDrop
              repeat with theFile in theDrop
              doIt(theFile)
              end repeat
              end open

              on doIt(theFile)
              tell application "Finder"
              if file type of theFile contains "WPD3" then
              set file type of theFile to "WPD4"
              else if file type of theFile contains "WPD4" then
              set file type of theFile to "WPD3"
              end if
              end tell
              end doIt

              "

              John, hope you don't mind my simply pasting your AppleScript into the
              message like this. I have used it a lot.

              ALSO, the file has to have the .wpm file extension for WPWin to open it
              (don't know if .wpd would work, haven't tried that; I do these
              experiments on a PC at the hospital that has WPWin 11 installed).

              Hope this helps.

              Tom

              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D." <TJRostaf@...>
                wrote:

                > John, hope you don't mind my simply pasting your AppleScript into the
                > message like this. I have used it a lot.

                Not at all. Glad it's useful.

                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 7, 2007
                  Tom

                  Thanks for this. I'll test it out as soon as Parallels 3 allows me
                  to. Upgrades, why bother.

                  Geoff

                • colin wilson
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 8, 2007
                    Hi

                    I expect this has been said before but being a newbie
                    here it might help other newbies but all WP files (and
                    word too) open with NeoOffice - a free software
                    programme from www.neooffice.org

                    The only problem I found is that it doesn't always
                    format the page in exactly the same way the original
                    WP had and whilst you can reformat it back in Word it
                    doesn't have the same facility for WP.

                    Never the less it is very good programme and I use it
                    a lot.

                    Colin