Re: scroll wheel in Classic

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2007
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D." <TJRostaf@...>
      wrote:

      > My question: USB Overdrive can also program the scroll-wheel *click*,
      > but I have no experience with this whatsoever. What, if anything, are
      > people using the scroll-wheel click for?

      I use it to type command-W, i.e. to close the front window. Also, I rarely
      use contextual menus, so I leave access to that as control-click, and use
      the right mouse button to switch to the second window in WP, to Go Back
      in Safari, and other app-specific uses in other apps.

      John R.
    • Paul Cowan
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2007
        On 5 Jun 2007, at 19h53, Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D. wrote:

        > What, if anything, are people using the scroll-wheel click for?

        I use it to invoke DejaMenu

        http://homepage.mac.com/khsu/DejaMenu/DejaMenu.html

        Very useful with big/multiple monitors.

        bye,

        P. (^_^)

        ---

        206-11 Charlevoix Mtl H3J 2V9 mailto:pooru@...
      • Randy B. Singer
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2007
          On Jun 5, 2007, at 4:53 PM, Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D. wrote:

          > What, if anything, are
          > people using the scroll-wheel click for?

          I use it as an extension of what the scroll-wheel itself does. I
          have it set up to scroll down the page a page at a time (i.e. each
          click of the scroll-wheel is equivalent to pressing the Page Down key
          on the extended keyboard). So, I use the scroll-wheel for slow and
          fine scrolling and click on the scroll-wheel for faster scrolling.
          Very intuitive.

          Randy B. Singer

          Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
          http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
        • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2007
            John, Paul, and Randy, thank you for the mousing advice. I do like to
            use right-clicking to access contextual menus, though in Classic it is
            mainly to access FinderPop from the menubar. Many aspects of FinderPop
            still work (for example, I keep DocCompare as well as some other
            AppleScripts in the FinderPop Items Menu for easy access while using
            WP). I assume it is still available somewhere on the Web if anyone
            wants to give it a try?

            The scroll wheel alone makes me plug in the mouse more often lately,
            though this makes more of a difference in OSX. Page Down seems as
            though it will be the most useful way, for the way I work, to program
            the scroll-wheel click. Thank you too for introducing me to Deja Menu.
            I may try it with the mouse, though I still like to keyboard as much
            as possible, and Deja Menu with its key combination is a nice
            augmentation of OSX's full menu access. Don't know how I've missed
            hearing about it all this time. Fringe benefit for me of being plugged
            into the WPMac list. Tom