Re: [wpmac] is there a feature similar to "track changes" on wordperfect?

  • Randall C. Wilson
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007

      >Here's my situation:
      >* * * my main concern is
      >that I need a feature on wordperfect similar to "track changes" in word.
      >
      >Is there something I can do to remedy this? Am I just somehow missing it?

      Its hard to match Word's capability. depending on what you need
      track changes for, it may be easier to translate into and back out of
      Word for that purpose. If your documents are not that highly
      formatted or collaborating with the client in WP is not that
      important, you might want to experiment with that option.

      Your best bet, however, might be to use NeoOffice (free, open source,
      but has a brutishly homely interface) With Neo Office you can open
      Windows WP files. Translation between Mac WP and Window's WP
      generally works well. NeoOffice has a feature similar to Word's
      track changes called "record---change" which tries to match features
      in Word. I have not used it, but it appears that all the tools are
      there including accept or reject changes.

      http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

      >*PS -- In case someone out there really wants to help out -- I'm
      >running wordperfect off an external hard drive upon which i (or
      >rather, the dude at the mac store) installed os 9 (os 9 wasn't on my
      >ibook g4 for whatever reason). when i try to open a file from
      >wordperfect -- either a word file, a wordperfect file, or an rtf file
      >-- sometimes the file name shows up on the menu, but usually it
      >doesn't (even when I have it set to "all" instead of "documents" or
      >"wordperfect files"). Folder names will show up, but not the
      >documents within the folders. But then -- sometimes they do show up.
      >Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?
      >
      >THANKS SO MUCH!!

      Not sure what's going on with your machine, but you might try a
      separate email thread for the file recognition problem.

      --
      /S/ Randall

      mailto:rwilson@...

      Alternate: mailto:gryndal@...

      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007

        > There's a macro in WP that allows you to add stick notes that can be
        > hidden if necessary and either printed or ignored in printing. It's
        > effectively a yellow text box, but I find it invaluable.

        It's called "Notes" and comes in the Document Experts set, in the Files
        section here, Doc Experts contains a number of macros, templates and
        clip art.

        I haven't used Notes in a few years and, looking at it now, find it
        a little flakey both in Tiger Classic and SheepShaver. Geoff, have you
        revised your copy?

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randall C. Wilson" <rwilson@...> wrote:

          > >Here's my situation:
          > >* * * my main concern is
          > >that I need a feature on wordperfect similar to "track changes" in word.
          > >
          > >Is there something I can do to remedy this? Am I just somehow missing it?
          >
          > Its hard to match Word's capability. depending on what you need
          > track changes for, it may be easier to translate into and back out of
          > Word for that purpose.

          But isn't WP DocCompare more accurate at tracking changes than Word's
          facility? I'd value that much more than e.g. click to accept changes?

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
            I don't use Notes as I'm writing something, but then I don't use
            Comments in Word as I write. In both cases, I use the tool when I am
            reading through afterwards. Flakey? No, but it's not as integrated as
            in Word, but that's what I like - I can change the background colour
            in order to indicate different sorts of comments and I don't have to
            have the Note down the right hand margin. Excellent for preparing
            seminar problems - I can use Notes to remind me of the main issues,
            print it Note-less for the students and with Notes for me. I tried to
            edit the macro once and it became corrupted, so I reinstalled and use
            it "out of the pack". It's not comments, but I've got used to it. It
            could be improved - colour choice in the list of initial options,
            left/right/whatever alignment - but I've got used to it.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 10, 2007
              What all would you like to see added to or changed in the Notes
              macro? I'm going to revise it.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 10, 2007
                More options on selecting the Notes Macro - I have it on F3. Such as
                background colour and then where it's going to be placed - right
                margin or left margin. I can't work out whether it should be anchored
                to the paragraph or character - I think the latter, but then the Note
                in relation to the line in which the character appears need to be set
                carefully, ie. you don't want the bottom of the Note lined up with
                the character, but the top or maybe middle. And you don't need a
                heading saying Note - it's rather self-evident.

                Thanks

                Geoff

              • RBRoufberg@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 10, 2007
                  I like the idea of notes that can be attached to a document as it appears on
                  my monitor, but will not be printed!

                  Ruth R.