scroll wheel in Classic

  • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 5, 2007
      Hi, Everyone. I just took some advice from this list from a while ago
      and got USB Overdrive (the $20 shareware fee covers both the Classic and
      OSX versions). I am used to my PB trackpad and only use a mouse
      occasionally, an inexpensive Belkin (wired) optical model with two
      buttons and a scroll wheel. Its performance in OSX is very nice without
      any added drivers, but now it is nice to have the scroll wheel working
      in WP and other Classic apps too.

      My question: USB Overdrive can also program the scroll-wheel *click*,
      but I have no experience with this whatsoever. What, if anything, are
      people using the scroll-wheel click for? I understand it can serve as a
      "middle-click," but does this have any usefulness in the Mac OS? Is
      there a good source for default and other mouse behaviors, geared to a
      Mac user who is a relative novice when it comes to mousing? Having paid
      for the features, I would like to try them out, so would welcome any
      suggestions. Thanks. Tom

      ===================================
      Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
      Licensed Clinical Psychologist
      1140 Lake Street, Suite 508
      Oak Park, IL 60301-1053
      (708) 848-1611
      fax (708) 848-1436
      tjrostaf@...
      ===================================
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2007
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D." <TJRostaf@...>
        wrote:

        > My question: USB Overdrive can also program the scroll-wheel *click*,
        > but I have no experience with this whatsoever. What, if anything, are
        > people using the scroll-wheel click for?

        I use it to type command-W, i.e. to close the front window. Also, I rarely
        use contextual menus, so I leave access to that as control-click, and use
        the right mouse button to switch to the second window in WP, to Go Back
        in Safari, and other app-specific uses in other apps.

        John R.
      • Paul Cowan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2007
          On 5 Jun 2007, at 19h53, Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D. wrote:

          > What, if anything, are people using the scroll-wheel click for?

          I use it to invoke DejaMenu

          http://homepage.mac.com/khsu/DejaMenu/DejaMenu.html

          Very useful with big/multiple monitors.

          bye,

          P. (^_^)

          ---

          206-11 Charlevoix Mtl H3J 2V9 mailto:pooru@...
        • Randy B. Singer
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 5, 2007
            On Jun 5, 2007, at 4:53 PM, Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D. wrote:

            > What, if anything, are
            > people using the scroll-wheel click for?

            I use it as an extension of what the scroll-wheel itself does. I
            have it set up to scroll down the page a page at a time (i.e. each
            click of the scroll-wheel is equivalent to pressing the Page Down key
            on the extended keyboard). So, I use the scroll-wheel for slow and
            fine scrolling and click on the scroll-wheel for faster scrolling.
            Very intuitive.

            Randy B. Singer

            Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
            http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
          • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 6, 2007
              John, Paul, and Randy, thank you for the mousing advice. I do like to
              use right-clicking to access contextual menus, though in Classic it is
              mainly to access FinderPop from the menubar. Many aspects of FinderPop
              still work (for example, I keep DocCompare as well as some other
              AppleScripts in the FinderPop Items Menu for easy access while using
              WP). I assume it is still available somewhere on the Web if anyone
              wants to give it a try?

              The scroll wheel alone makes me plug in the mouse more often lately,
              though this makes more of a difference in OSX. Page Down seems as
              though it will be the most useful way, for the way I work, to program
              the scroll-wheel click. Thank you too for introducing me to Deja Menu.
              I may try it with the mouse, though I still like to keyboard as much
              as possible, and Deja Menu with its key combination is a nice
              augmentation of OSX's full menu access. Don't know how I've missed
              hearing about it all this time. Fringe benefit for me of being plugged
              into the WPMac list. Tom