Re: [wpmac] is there a feature similar to "track changes" on wordperfect?

  • Randy B. Singer
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
      On Jun 5, 2007, at 8:51 AM, Judyth wrote:

      > For all the macros and add-ins, our version of WP does not have the
      > kind of change-tracking mechanism most editors have come to rely on
      > through constant use of Word.

      Everyone seems to have different needs when it comes to tracking
      changes. I don't care for them myself, but some users like one or
      more of these free programs for tracking changes:

      Diffnc (free)
      http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/schilder/

      DiffnPatch (free)
      http://webperso.easyconnect.fr/bdesgraupes/tools.html

      DiffBOA (free)
      http://webperso.easyconnect.fr/bdesgraupes/tools.html

      Randy B. Singer

      Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
    • Randall C. Wilson
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007

        >Here's my situation:
        >* * * my main concern is
        >that I need a feature on wordperfect similar to "track changes" in word.
        >
        >Is there something I can do to remedy this? Am I just somehow missing it?

        Its hard to match Word's capability. depending on what you need
        track changes for, it may be easier to translate into and back out of
        Word for that purpose. If your documents are not that highly
        formatted or collaborating with the client in WP is not that
        important, you might want to experiment with that option.

        Your best bet, however, might be to use NeoOffice (free, open source,
        but has a brutishly homely interface) With Neo Office you can open
        Windows WP files. Translation between Mac WP and Window's WP
        generally works well. NeoOffice has a feature similar to Word's
        track changes called "record---change" which tries to match features
        in Word. I have not used it, but it appears that all the tools are
        there including accept or reject changes.

        http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

        >*PS -- In case someone out there really wants to help out -- I'm
        >running wordperfect off an external hard drive upon which i (or
        >rather, the dude at the mac store) installed os 9 (os 9 wasn't on my
        >ibook g4 for whatever reason). when i try to open a file from
        >wordperfect -- either a word file, a wordperfect file, or an rtf file
        >-- sometimes the file name shows up on the menu, but usually it
        >doesn't (even when I have it set to "all" instead of "documents" or
        >"wordperfect files"). Folder names will show up, but not the
        >documents within the folders. But then -- sometimes they do show up.
        >Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?
        >
        >THANKS SO MUCH!!

        Not sure what's going on with your machine, but you might try a
        separate email thread for the file recognition problem.

        --
        /S/ Randall

        mailto:rwilson@...

        Alternate: mailto:gryndal@...

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
          >"nadia.aymone" nadia@... wrote:
          >As for the annotations issue, what worked for me in the old days was
          >to use endnotes in a master document, leaving footnotes in the
          >underlying documents intact. I've never had occasion to do this in
          >WP for Mac, and I still have my old XT with WP 5.1 for DOS in the
          >closet just in case...
          >
          >Regards,
          >
          >Judyth

          There's a macro in WP that allows you to add stick notes that can be
          hidden if necessary and either printed or ignored in printing. It's
          effectively a yellow text box, but I find it invaluable.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007

            > There's a macro in WP that allows you to add stick notes that can be
            > hidden if necessary and either printed or ignored in printing. It's
            > effectively a yellow text box, but I find it invaluable.

            It's called "Notes" and comes in the Document Experts set, in the Files
            section here, Doc Experts contains a number of macros, templates and
            clip art.

            I haven't used Notes in a few years and, looking at it now, find it
            a little flakey both in Tiger Classic and SheepShaver. Geoff, have you
            revised your copy?

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randall C. Wilson" <rwilson@...> wrote:

              > >Here's my situation:
              > >* * * my main concern is
              > >that I need a feature on wordperfect similar to "track changes" in word.
              > >
              > >Is there something I can do to remedy this? Am I just somehow missing it?
              >
              > Its hard to match Word's capability. depending on what you need
              > track changes for, it may be easier to translate into and back out of
              > Word for that purpose.

              But isn't WP DocCompare more accurate at tracking changes than Word's
              facility? I'd value that much more than e.g. click to accept changes?

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
                I don't use Notes as I'm writing something, but then I don't use
                Comments in Word as I write. In both cases, I use the tool when I am
                reading through afterwards. Flakey? No, but it's not as integrated as
                in Word, but that's what I like - I can change the background colour
                in order to indicate different sorts of comments and I don't have to
                have the Note down the right hand margin. Excellent for preparing
                seminar problems - I can use Notes to remind me of the main issues,
                print it Note-less for the students and with Notes for me. I tried to
                edit the macro once and it became corrupted, so I reinstalled and use
                it "out of the pack". It's not comments, but I've got used to it. It
                could be improved - colour choice in the list of initial options,
                left/right/whatever alignment - but I've got used to it.

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 10, 2007
                  What all would you like to see added to or changed in the Notes
                  macro? I'm going to revise it.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 10, 2007
                    More options on selecting the Notes Macro - I have it on F3. Such as
                    background colour and then where it's going to be placed - right
                    margin or left margin. I can't work out whether it should be anchored
                    to the paragraph or character - I think the latter, but then the Note
                    in relation to the line in which the character appears need to be set
                    carefully, ie. you don't want the bottom of the Note lined up with
                    the character, but the top or maybe middle. And you don't need a
                    heading saying Note - it's rather self-evident.

                    Thanks

                    Geoff

                  • RBRoufberg@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 10, 2007
                      I like the idea of notes that can be attached to a document as it appears on
                      my monitor, but will not be printed!

                      Ruth R.