is there a feature similar to "track changes" on wordperfect?

  • nadia.aymone
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 4, 2007
      Let me thank all for your help ahead of time. I'm not the most
      technologically adept person in the universe, and so I greatly
      appreciate any aid and/or comfort...

      Here's my situation:
      I'm working on a large editing project for a client who only uses
      wordperfect. I have a mac, and so I've downloaded the corel3.5
      version of wordperfect, and the os 8/9 updater (i have an osx mac, but
      run wordperfect in classic mode).

      I'm having a TON of trouble using it -- not wordperfect itself, which
      is fine, but just the act of converting files from word to wordperfect
      and so on -- that I'm trying to work through*, but my main concern is
      that I need a feature on wordperfect similar to "track changes" in word.

      I've searched online, and it seems as though there should be an
      "annotations" feature on wordperfect; it just doesn't happen to be on
      my version.

      Is there something I can do to remedy this? Am I just somehow missing it?

      Thank you so much for your help. I can't tell you how much I
      appreciate it.

      xo
      nadia

      *PS -- In case someone out there really wants to help out -- I'm
      running wordperfect off an external hard drive upon which i (or
      rather, the dude at the mac store) installed os 9 (os 9 wasn't on my
      ibook g4 for whatever reason). when i try to open a file from
      wordperfect -- either a word file, a wordperfect file, or an rtf file
      -- sometimes the file name shows up on the menu, but usually it
      doesn't (even when I have it set to "all" instead of "documents" or
      "wordperfect files"). Folder names will show up, but not the
      documents within the folders. But then -- sometimes they do show up.
      Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

      THANKS SO MUCH!!
    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 4, 2007
        On Jun 4, 2007, at 12:18 PM, nadia.aymone wrote:

        > my main concern is
        > that I need a feature on wordperfect similar to "track changes" in
        > word.

        WP DocCompare 2.1 (free)
        "WP DocCompare is a free addition to Corel WordPerfect for the
        Macintosh that adds state-of-the-art document comparison
        functionality. When invoked, it compares the text of the front window
        to text of the second window and marks any word in either document
        that differs from corresponding text in the other."
        It can be downloaded from:
        http://www.ils.uec.ac.jp/~herr/WP_DocCompare_2.1.sit

        For info about WP DocCompare, see:
        http://www.ils.uec.ac.jp/~herr

        Install it.

        You're set.

        Randy B. Singer

        Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...> wrote:

          > WP DocCompare 2.1 (free)
          > "WP DocCompare is a free addition to Corel WordPerfect for the
          > Macintosh that adds state-of-the-art document comparison
          > functionality.

          It certainly is state-of-the-art. The web page cited, though, is not
          Gero's active page - for some reason he can no longer update it.
          While the versions of DocCompare it offers are current, the
          version of the Spotlight plug-in there is not. For current versions
          of all Gero's products, see http://homepage.mac.com/herr

          John R.
        • Judyth
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
            "nadia.aymone" nadia@... wrote:
            >I'm having a TON of trouble using it -- not wordperfect itself, which
            >is fine, but just the act of converting files from word to wordperfect
            >and so on -- that I'm trying to work through*, but my main concern is
            >that I need a feature on wordperfect similar to "track changes" in word.
            >
            >I've searched online, and it seems as though there should be an
            >"annotations" feature on wordperfect; it just doesn't happen to be on
            >my version.
            >
            >Is there something I can do to remedy this? Am I just somehow missing it?

            The thing is, there is no way working in WP can be made to conform to the methods used in Weird.

            As Randy said, the WP DocCompare utility allows you to do on the Mac ... what Wordperfect on DOS could do all by itself in the era of the IBM XT.

            We need to remember that WP was developed by people with different sensibilities than the folks who worked for Microsoft back in the day. Whereas Word was geared towards WYSIWYG use by secretaries or consumers who thought 50 pages made too long a document to bother with, Wordperfect assumed some people would actually need to produce well-edited books and journal articles, follow strict style guides, do proper bibliographies, etc. and would be willing to learn the program's complex key-combinations and logical-but-unintuitive approach to "reveal codes" to deal with formatting issues (which were in any case not visible in WYSIWYG on the monochrome dot-matrix screens of the early days).

            I'm afraid Wordperfect on the Mac simply never matched the full power of the DOS equivalent. (I won't even discuss Windows and the early crude attempts to make Word behave like MacWrite.)

            For all the macros and add-ins, our version of WP does not have the kind of change-tracking mechanism most editors have come to rely on through constant use of Word. DocCompare will indeed highlight changes for you but what you'll see is even more muddled-looking than a pre-2003 Word document with tracked changes showing. I haven't used it for some time but I don't recall that it included a "hop from one change to the next" or one-click acceptance or rejection of a change.

            Personally, I found it much less messy and cumbersome to create styles for "strike-out" deletions and "redline" insertions which could be applied with a couple of keystrokes and use them than to revise "compared" text where whole phrases were struck out and reinserted because punctuation had been changed. I still do: I was recently compelled to use Word and its "Track changes" for the first time in a while, and found it a major pain you-know-where. I have no idea how things work in recent versions of WP for Windows but I do know many things are missing from the last version of WP for Macs, even if it tends to be more stable than most versions of Word.

            As for the annotations issue, what worked for me in the old days was to use endnotes in a master document, leaving footnotes in the underlying documents intact. I've never had occasion to do this in WP for Mac, and I still have my old XT with WP 5.1 for DOS in the closet just in case...

            Interestingly, I find WP for Mac is actually better for translation work than most programs, although not the most useful thing for editing material for others.

            >*PS -- In case someone out there really wants to help out -- I'm
            >running wordperfect off an external hard drive upon which i (or
            >rather, the dude at the mac store) installed os 9 (os 9 wasn't on my
            >ibook g4 for whatever reason). when i try to open a file from
            >wordperfect -- either a word file, a wordperfect file, or an rtf file
            >-- sometimes the file name shows up on the menu, but usually it
            >doesn't (even when I have it set to "all" instead of "documents" or
            >"wordperfect files"). Folder names will show up, but not the
            >documents within the folders. But then -- sometimes they do show up.
            > Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?
            >
            >THANKS SO MUCH!!

            I am only guessing since my setup is different from yours, but it seems to me you might need to do a "rebuild the desktop" on the OS 9 drive. Download a copy of TechTool Lite 3.0.4, which should do the trick if that's the problem.

            Regards,

            Judyth

            Judyth Mermelstein "cogito ergo lego ergo cogito..."
            Montreal, QC <judyth.mermelstein@...>
            Canada H4G 1J4 <lapomme@...>
            "A word to the wise is sufficient. For others, use more."
            "Un mot suffit aux sages; pour les autres, il en faut plus."
          • Randy B. Singer
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
              On Jun 5, 2007, at 8:51 AM, Judyth wrote:

              > For all the macros and add-ins, our version of WP does not have the
              > kind of change-tracking mechanism most editors have come to rely on
              > through constant use of Word.

              Everyone seems to have different needs when it comes to tracking
              changes. I don't care for them myself, but some users like one or
              more of these free programs for tracking changes:

              Diffnc (free)
              http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/schilder/

              DiffnPatch (free)
              http://webperso.easyconnect.fr/bdesgraupes/tools.html

              DiffBOA (free)
              http://webperso.easyconnect.fr/bdesgraupes/tools.html

              Randy B. Singer

              Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
              http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
            • Randall C. Wilson
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007

                >Here's my situation:
                >* * * my main concern is
                >that I need a feature on wordperfect similar to "track changes" in word.
                >
                >Is there something I can do to remedy this? Am I just somehow missing it?

                Its hard to match Word's capability. depending on what you need
                track changes for, it may be easier to translate into and back out of
                Word for that purpose. If your documents are not that highly
                formatted or collaborating with the client in WP is not that
                important, you might want to experiment with that option.

                Your best bet, however, might be to use NeoOffice (free, open source,
                but has a brutishly homely interface) With Neo Office you can open
                Windows WP files. Translation between Mac WP and Window's WP
                generally works well. NeoOffice has a feature similar to Word's
                track changes called "record---change" which tries to match features
                in Word. I have not used it, but it appears that all the tools are
                there including accept or reject changes.

                http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

                >*PS -- In case someone out there really wants to help out -- I'm
                >running wordperfect off an external hard drive upon which i (or
                >rather, the dude at the mac store) installed os 9 (os 9 wasn't on my
                >ibook g4 for whatever reason). when i try to open a file from
                >wordperfect -- either a word file, a wordperfect file, or an rtf file
                >-- sometimes the file name shows up on the menu, but usually it
                >doesn't (even when I have it set to "all" instead of "documents" or
                >"wordperfect files"). Folder names will show up, but not the
                >documents within the folders. But then -- sometimes they do show up.
                >Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?
                >
                >THANKS SO MUCH!!

                Not sure what's going on with your machine, but you might try a
                separate email thread for the file recognition problem.

                --
                /S/ Randall

                mailto:rwilson@...

                Alternate: mailto:gryndal@...

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
                  >"nadia.aymone" nadia@... wrote:
                  >As for the annotations issue, what worked for me in the old days was
                  >to use endnotes in a master document, leaving footnotes in the
                  >underlying documents intact. I've never had occasion to do this in
                  >WP for Mac, and I still have my old XT with WP 5.1 for DOS in the
                  >closet just in case...
                  >
                  >Regards,
                  >
                  >Judyth

                  There's a macro in WP that allows you to add stick notes that can be
                  hidden if necessary and either printed or ignored in printing. It's
                  effectively a yellow text box, but I find it invaluable.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007

                    > There's a macro in WP that allows you to add stick notes that can be
                    > hidden if necessary and either printed or ignored in printing. It's
                    > effectively a yellow text box, but I find it invaluable.

                    It's called "Notes" and comes in the Document Experts set, in the Files
                    section here, Doc Experts contains a number of macros, templates and
                    clip art.

                    I haven't used Notes in a few years and, looking at it now, find it
                    a little flakey both in Tiger Classic and SheepShaver. Geoff, have you
                    revised your copy?

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randall C. Wilson" <rwilson@...> wrote:

                      > >Here's my situation:
                      > >* * * my main concern is
                      > >that I need a feature on wordperfect similar to "track changes" in word.
                      > >
                      > >Is there something I can do to remedy this? Am I just somehow missing it?
                      >
                      > Its hard to match Word's capability. depending on what you need
                      > track changes for, it may be easier to translate into and back out of
                      > Word for that purpose.

                      But isn't WP DocCompare more accurate at tracking changes than Word's
                      facility? I'd value that much more than e.g. click to accept changes?

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
                        I don't use Notes as I'm writing something, but then I don't use
                        Comments in Word as I write. In both cases, I use the tool when I am
                        reading through afterwards. Flakey? No, but it's not as integrated as
                        in Word, but that's what I like - I can change the background colour
                        in order to indicate different sorts of comments and I don't have to
                        have the Note down the right hand margin. Excellent for preparing
                        seminar problems - I can use Notes to remind me of the main issues,
                        print it Note-less for the students and with Notes for me. I tried to
                        edit the macro once and it became corrupted, so I reinstalled and use
                        it "out of the pack". It's not comments, but I've got used to it. It
                        could be improved - colour choice in the list of initial options,
                        left/right/whatever alignment - but I've got used to it.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 10, 2007
                          What all would you like to see added to or changed in the Notes
                          macro? I'm going to revise it.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 10, 2007
                            More options on selecting the Notes Macro - I have it on F3. Such as
                            background colour and then where it's going to be placed - right
                            margin or left margin. I can't work out whether it should be anchored
                            to the paragraph or character - I think the latter, but then the Note
                            in relation to the line in which the character appears need to be set
                            carefully, ie. you don't want the bottom of the Note lined up with
                            the character, but the top or maybe middle. And you don't need a
                            heading saying Note - it's rather self-evident.

                            Thanks

                            Geoff

                          • RBRoufberg@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 10, 2007
                              I like the idea of notes that can be attached to a document as it appears on
                              my monitor, but will not be printed!

                              Ruth R.