Re: converting wpd files

  • megabyte405
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 4, 2007
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...>
      wrote:

      > On Jun 3, 2007, at 8:10 PM, megabyte405 wrote:
      >
      > > Perl (.pl) scripts are run as-is (interpreted), not compiled. Just do
      > > ./nameofscript.pl
      >
      > Thank you! But _where_ do I "do ./nameofscript.pl"? Do you run a
      > Perl script from OS X's Terminal? Do you have to paste the script in
      > to the Terminal, or elsewhere?
      >
      > In other words, what are the steps that an ordinary user has to do to
      > get this Perl script to work? (Ordinary users don't usually use
      > Perl. I know that I never have.)

      You got it: in the Terminal. That's also where you'd run the AbiWord
      conversion command line. All command-line stuff like that takes place
      on the terminal, and in most cases you can start graphical stuff there
      too, so it never hurts to try the Terminal.

      Ryan
    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 4, 2007
        On Jun 4, 2007, at 7:49 AM, megabyte405 wrote:

        > You got it: in the Terminal. That's also where you'd run the AbiWord
        > conversion command line. All command-line stuff like that takes place
        > on the terminal, and in most cases you can start graphical stuff there
        > too, so it never hurts to try the Terminal.

        Great, thanks! So what are the steps one has to follow to run that
        script?

        How would one "Just do ./nameofscript.pl"?

        Randy B. Singer

        Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      • megabyte405
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 5, 2007
          wrote:

          > Great, thanks! So what are the steps one has to follow to run that
          > script?
          >
          > How would one "Just do ./nameofscript.pl"?

          Type "cd /path/to/script" no quotes and hit enter
          Type "./nameofscript.pl" and optionally any arguments/parameters it
          needs, and hit enter.

          I have no experience with that particular script, this is just general
          basic osx/unix/linux terminal/command line stuff. There are numerous
          tutorials online designed to get folks comfortable with the command
          line, and many of those for Linux will also apply to Mac OS X, due to
          the similarities in the shell (command line) interface.
        • Randy B. Singer
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 5, 2007
            On Jun 5, 2007, at 6:54 AM, megabyte405 wrote:

            > Type "cd /path/to/script" no quotes and hit enter
            > Type "./nameofscript.pl" and optionally any arguments/parameters it
            > needs, and hit enter.

            Oh, so you don't have to paste in the script? Sounds good. Thanks!