Re: [wpmac] Re: converting wpd files

  • Randy B. Singer
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 3, 2007
      On Jun 3, 2007, at 8:10 PM, megabyte405 wrote:

      > Perl (.pl) scripts are run as-is (interpreted), not compiled. Just do
      > ./nameofscript.pl

      Thank you! But _where_ do I "do ./nameofscript.pl"? Do you run a
      Perl script from OS X's Terminal? Do you have to paste the script in
      to the Terminal, or elsewhere?

      In other words, what are the steps that an ordinary user has to do to
      get this Perl script to work? (Ordinary users don't usually use
      Perl. I know that I never have.)

      Thanks!

      Randy B. Singer

      Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
    • megabyte405
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 4, 2007
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...>
        wrote:

        > On Jun 3, 2007, at 8:10 PM, megabyte405 wrote:
        >
        > > Perl (.pl) scripts are run as-is (interpreted), not compiled. Just do
        > > ./nameofscript.pl
        >
        > Thank you! But _where_ do I "do ./nameofscript.pl"? Do you run a
        > Perl script from OS X's Terminal? Do you have to paste the script in
        > to the Terminal, or elsewhere?
        >
        > In other words, what are the steps that an ordinary user has to do to
        > get this Perl script to work? (Ordinary users don't usually use
        > Perl. I know that I never have.)

        You got it: in the Terminal. That's also where you'd run the AbiWord
        conversion command line. All command-line stuff like that takes place
        on the terminal, and in most cases you can start graphical stuff there
        too, so it never hurts to try the Terminal.

        Ryan
      • Randy B. Singer
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 4, 2007
          On Jun 4, 2007, at 7:49 AM, megabyte405 wrote:

          > You got it: in the Terminal. That's also where you'd run the AbiWord
          > conversion command line. All command-line stuff like that takes place
          > on the terminal, and in most cases you can start graphical stuff there
          > too, so it never hurts to try the Terminal.

          Great, thanks! So what are the steps one has to follow to run that
          script?

          How would one "Just do ./nameofscript.pl"?

          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 5, 2007
            wrote:

            > Great, thanks! So what are the steps one has to follow to run that
            > script?
            >
            > How would one "Just do ./nameofscript.pl"?

            Type "cd /path/to/script" no quotes and hit enter
            Type "./nameofscript.pl" and optionally any arguments/parameters it
            needs, and hit enter.

            I have no experience with that particular script, this is just general
            basic osx/unix/linux terminal/command line stuff. There are numerous
            tutorials online designed to get folks comfortable with the command
            line, and many of those for Linux will also apply to Mac OS X, due to
            the similarities in the shell (command line) interface.
          • Randy B. Singer
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 5, 2007
              On Jun 5, 2007, at 6:54 AM, megabyte405 wrote:

              > Type "cd /path/to/script" no quotes and hit enter
              > Type "./nameofscript.pl" and optionally any arguments/parameters it
              > needs, and hit enter.

              Oh, so you don't have to paste in the script? Sounds good. Thanks!