Re: converting wpd files

  • megabyte405
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 3, 2007
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Randy B. Singer" <randy@...>
      wrote:

      > On Jun 2, 2007, at 3:15 PM, aptag wrote:
      >
      > > wpd2sxwbatch.pl is found here:
      > >
      > > http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/gentoo/distfiles/wpd2sxwbatch.pl
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Now, is there someone knowledgeable enough on this list who is
      > willing to compile this script so that it is useful for ordinary users?

      Perl (.pl) scripts are run as-is (interpreted), not compiled. Just do
      ./nameofscript.pl

      You can also use the command-line interface of AbiWord for this in a
      terminal: abiword --help will give you all the info, (may have to do
      AbiWord.app --help instead)
      basic format:
      abiword inputfile.wpd --to=rtf
      will convert inputfile.wpd to inputfile.rtf

      Hope this helps! There's lots of information around on how to use
      this interface, because it is very useful for scripts, servers, etc.

      Ryan
      AbiWord Dev, Win32 Maintainer, Summer of Code Participant
    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 3, 2007
        On Jun 3, 2007, at 8:10 PM, megabyte405 wrote:

        > Perl (.pl) scripts are run as-is (interpreted), not compiled. Just do
        > ./nameofscript.pl

        Thank you! But _where_ do I "do ./nameofscript.pl"? Do you run a
        Perl script from OS X's Terminal? Do you have to paste the script in
        to the Terminal, or elsewhere?

        In other words, what are the steps that an ordinary user has to do to
        get this Perl script to work? (Ordinary users don't usually use
        Perl. I know that I never have.)

        Thanks!

        Randy B. Singer

        Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      • megabyte405
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 4, 2007
          wrote:

          > On Jun 3, 2007, at 8:10 PM, megabyte405 wrote:
          >
          > > Perl (.pl) scripts are run as-is (interpreted), not compiled. Just do
          > > ./nameofscript.pl
          >
          > Thank you! But _where_ do I "do ./nameofscript.pl"? Do you run a
          > Perl script from OS X's Terminal? Do you have to paste the script in
          > to the Terminal, or elsewhere?
          >
          > In other words, what are the steps that an ordinary user has to do to
          > get this Perl script to work? (Ordinary users don't usually use
          > Perl. I know that I never have.)

          You got it: in the Terminal. That's also where you'd run the AbiWord
          conversion command line. All command-line stuff like that takes place
          on the terminal, and in most cases you can start graphical stuff there
          too, so it never hurts to try the Terminal.

          Ryan
        • Randy B. Singer
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 4, 2007
            On Jun 4, 2007, at 7:49 AM, megabyte405 wrote:

            > You got it: in the Terminal. That's also where you'd run the AbiWord
            > conversion command line. All command-line stuff like that takes place
            > on the terminal, and in most cases you can start graphical stuff there
            > too, so it never hurts to try the Terminal.

            Great, thanks! So what are the steps one has to follow to run that
            script?

            How would one "Just do ./nameofscript.pl"?

            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 5, 2007
              wrote:

              > Great, thanks! So what are the steps one has to follow to run that
              > script?
              >
              > How would one "Just do ./nameofscript.pl"?

              Type "cd /path/to/script" no quotes and hit enter
              Type "./nameofscript.pl" and optionally any arguments/parameters it
              needs, and hit enter.

              I have no experience with that particular script, this is just general
              basic osx/unix/linux terminal/command line stuff. There are numerous
              tutorials online designed to get folks comfortable with the command
              line, and many of those for Linux will also apply to Mac OS X, due to
              the similarities in the shell (command line) interface.
            • Randy B. Singer
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 5, 2007
                On Jun 5, 2007, at 6:54 AM, megabyte405 wrote:

                > Type "cd /path/to/script" no quotes and hit enter
                > Type "./nameofscript.pl" and optionally any arguments/parameters it
                > needs, and hit enter.

                Oh, so you don't have to paste in the script? Sounds good. Thanks!