[wpmac] Re: Intel Mac

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 3, 2007
      > Can it run Lunatic Fringe which was part of
      > AfterDark but the best Space shoot 'em up
      > ever - your spacecraft positively whimpered
      > when it died!

      I didn't know Distinguished Professors of Law
      and Directors of Human Rights Centres liked
      space shoot `em up stuff . . . : -)

      IIRC Underware runs After Dark version 2
      modules, but not v. 3. Simplest thing to do
      would be put the module in System Folder >
      Underware Files, restart SS, and see if the
      module shows up in the control panel's list.

      > My distribution includes "Underware", a
      > classic screensaver that was commercial at
      > first, and then released free. You need to
      > turn it on in its control panel.

      I meant to say, turn it on using Extensions
      Manager, then configure it to your liking using
      its panel. The desktop feature is actually pretty
      slick.

      > Thanks again for a magnificent job on
      > Sheepshaver.

      You bet.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 3, 2007
        > > Can it run Lunatic Fringe which was part of
        >> AfterDark but the best Space shoot 'em up
        >> ever - your spacecraft positively whimpered
        >> when it died!
        >
        >I didn't know Distinguished Professors of Law
        >and Directors of Human Rights Centres liked
        >space shoot `em up stuff . . . : -)

        That's the point, I don't like space shoot em ups (or any other shoot
        em ups for that matter), but Lunatic Fringe was just plain silly, and
        sometimes that can be helpful after a day focused on international
        human rights and armed conflict. There's a group of us here and I
        have to say that a dry sense of humour is a job requirement.

        Returning to topic, is there a link to the guys doing sheepshaver so
        that we can help them improve their product?

        Thanks

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 9, 2007
          Has anyone managed to install OS 8.5/8.6 on John's SheepShaver?

          Geoff
        • J Busch
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 12, 2007
            If you would like to give it a go on OSX you can try this link:
            http://www.sealiesoftware.com/fringe/

            Don't have the afterdark module so can't say how well it works.

            -Jonathan

            Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@...> wrote: John

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 12, 2007
              Jonathan

              Thanks for this. I think I still have every piece of software plus
              original disk since I moved over to the Mac in 1993. However, being
              on an Intel Mac, this solution won't work - it needs Classic. When I
              next get a free hour or two (it's exam marking season over here), I
              am going to try an install After Dark on Sheepshaver - once I work
              out how to get the software off an old 3.5" floppy disk.

              Geoff

              >If you would like to give it a go on OSX you can try this link:
              >http://www.sealiesoftware.com/fringe/
              >
              >Don't have the afterdark module so can't say how well it works.
              >
              >-Jonathan
              >
              >Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@...> wrote: John
              >
              > Can it run Lunatic Fringe which was part of AfterDark but the best
              > Space shoot 'em up ever - your spacecraft positively whimpered when
              > it died!
              >
              > Thanks again for a magnificent job on Sheepshaver.
              >
              > Geoff
              >
              > >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@...> wrote:
              > >
              > >> Well, the macbook pro is up and running and the only real loss in OS
              > >> X is some screensavers I've run for years no longer work under the
              > >> new architecture.
              > >
              > >My distribution includes "Underware", a classic screensaver that was
              > >commercial at first, and then released free. You need to turn it on in
              > >its control panel. It runs modules as screensavers and also optionally
              > >on the active desktop, behind windows and icons. I also included a
              > >number of the best After Dark freeware modules. Check out "Stained
              > >Glass" and "Luna".
              > >
              > >John R.
              > >

              > >Yahoo! Groups Links

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Edward Mendelson
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 14, 2007
                If the floppy is a 1.44MB disk, a USB floppy does the trick. If it's an 800KB floppy, it will need
                an old Mac with an internal floppy.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 15, 2007
                  Anyone managed to mount a 1.44 MB disk though USB Floppy in
                  Sheepshaver. I looked at Sheepshaver GUI and couldn't see any way to
                  do it. The disk is on the OS X desktop, but Sheepshaver does not see
                  it.

                  Geoff

                  >If the floppy is a 1.44MB disk, a USB floppy does the trick. If it's
                  >an 800KB floppy, it will need
                  >an old Mac with an internal floppy.

                  >> I am going to try an install After Dark on Sheepshaver - once I work
                  >> out how to get the software off an old 3.5" floppy disk.
                  >

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Mike Robbins
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 15, 2007
                    Hi Geoff-

                    I know that this does not answer your question, but it may be a work
                    around. Your Intel Mac should be able to burn a CD of the file on the
                    floppy. Sheepshaver should be able to read that.

                    Mike Robbins
                    Los Angeles

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 15, 2007
                      Mike

                      I'd thought that, but for some reason it didn't work while
                      Sheepshaver was running - I quit sheepshaver and the burn worked.
                      odd. Thanks for the email - it made me try again.

                      Geoff

                      >Hi Geoff-
                      >
                      >I know that this does not answer your question, but it may be a work
                      >around. Your Intel Mac should be able to burn a CD of the file on the
                      >floppy. Sheepshaver should be able to read that.
                      >
                      >Mike Robbins
                      >Los Angeles
                      >

                      >On Jun 15, 2007, at 12:33 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:
                      >
                      >> Anyone managed to mount a 1.44 MB disk though USB Floppy in
                      >> Sheepshaver. I looked at Sheepshaver GUI and couldn't see any way to
                      >> do it. The disk is on the OS X desktop, but Sheepshaver does not see
                      >> it.
                      >>
                      >> Geoff
                      >>
                      >> >If the floppy is a 1.44MB disk, a USB floppy does the trick. If it's
                      >> >an 800KB floppy, it will need
                      >> >an old Mac with an internal floppy.
                      >> >
                      >> >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@...>

                      >> work
                      >> >

                      >> >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • (no author)
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 22, 2007
                        Folks, I'm unable to assign WordPerfect macros to three function keys.

                        I'm running WP 3.5 enhanced in Classic (OS 9.1), in OS X (10.3.5), on
                        a 300MHz clamshell iBook. The OS runs fine, BTW.

                        If you recall from the previous century, keys F1, F5 and F6 default,
                        on the original iBook, to Screen Darken, Num Lock and Speaker Control
                        respectively. These defaults work well in OS X, but the Edit Macro
                        process in WP won't, via Classic, supersede their OS X functions. Thus
                        I can't assign my macros to F1, F5 or F6.

                        It would greatly simplify my workflow to be able to do so and avoid
                        more complex key-combos. To illustrate:

                        In WP, in Tools > Macro > Edit Macro, I click the Assign button. The
                        Assign Keystroke dialog box appears. When I press, e.g., the F5 key to
                        assign it a macro, OS X turns on the iBook's Num Lock and my key
                        choice doesn't appear in the Keystroke field of the Assign Keystroke
                        dialog box.

                        On my desktop Mac (a G4, running WP in Classic, OS 9.2, in OS 10.2.8)
                        the same actions type my F-key choice in the Keystroke field of the
                        Assign Keystroke dialog box. Then I click the Assign button, click
                        Done in the Edit Macro box and my F-key assignment works.

                        So what I'm stymied by is those handy default F-key assignments on the
                        iBook. A web search turned up lots of unrelated kibitzes & cavils
                        about the old iBooks, but nothing that helps.

                        I know that many system functions are disabled in the Classic
                        environment, but surely I'm missing something. I doubt my only
                        recourse is to redo a full-blown OS 9 install on the iBook, assign the
                        F-keys within WP and reinstall OS X.  Maybe booting the iBook from an
                        OS 9 CD to finish the key assignments ...?

                        All advice gratefully received¬óthanks!

                        JS