Re: Intel Mac

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 3, 2007

      > Well, the macbook pro is up and running and the only real loss in OS
      > X is some screensavers I've run for years no longer work under the
      > new architecture.

      My distribution includes "Underware", a classic screensaver that was
      commercial at first, and then released free. You need to turn it on in
      its control panel. It runs modules as screensavers and also optionally
      on the active desktop, behind windows and icons. I also included a
      number of the best After Dark freeware modules. Check out "Stained
      Glass" and "Luna".

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 3, 2007
        John

        Can it run Lunatic Fringe which was part of AfterDark but the best
        Space shoot 'em up ever - your spacecraft positively whimpered when
        it died!

        Thanks again for a magnificent job on Sheepshaver.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 3, 2007
          > Can it run Lunatic Fringe which was part of
          > AfterDark but the best Space shoot 'em up
          > ever - your spacecraft positively whimpered
          > when it died!

          I didn't know Distinguished Professors of Law
          and Directors of Human Rights Centres liked
          space shoot `em up stuff . . . : -)

          IIRC Underware runs After Dark version 2
          modules, but not v. 3. Simplest thing to do
          would be put the module in System Folder >
          Underware Files, restart SS, and see if the
          module shows up in the control panel's list.

          > My distribution includes "Underware", a
          > classic screensaver that was commercial at
          > first, and then released free. You need to
          > turn it on in its control panel.

          I meant to say, turn it on using Extensions
          Manager, then configure it to your liking using
          its panel. The desktop feature is actually pretty
          slick.

          > Thanks again for a magnificent job on
          > Sheepshaver.

          You bet.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 3, 2007
            > > Can it run Lunatic Fringe which was part of
            >> AfterDark but the best Space shoot 'em up
            >> ever - your spacecraft positively whimpered
            >> when it died!
            >
            >I didn't know Distinguished Professors of Law
            >and Directors of Human Rights Centres liked
            >space shoot `em up stuff . . . : -)

            That's the point, I don't like space shoot em ups (or any other shoot
            em ups for that matter), but Lunatic Fringe was just plain silly, and
            sometimes that can be helpful after a day focused on international
            human rights and armed conflict. There's a group of us here and I
            have to say that a dry sense of humour is a job requirement.

            Returning to topic, is there a link to the guys doing sheepshaver so
            that we can help them improve their product?

            Thanks

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 9, 2007
              Has anyone managed to install OS 8.5/8.6 on John's SheepShaver?

              Geoff
            • J Busch
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 12, 2007
                If you would like to give it a go on OSX you can try this link:
                http://www.sealiesoftware.com/fringe/

                Don't have the afterdark module so can't say how well it works.

                -Jonathan

                Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@...> wrote: John

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 12, 2007
                  Jonathan

                  Thanks for this. I think I still have every piece of software plus
                  original disk since I moved over to the Mac in 1993. However, being
                  on an Intel Mac, this solution won't work - it needs Classic. When I
                  next get a free hour or two (it's exam marking season over here), I
                  am going to try an install After Dark on Sheepshaver - once I work
                  out how to get the software off an old 3.5" floppy disk.

                  Geoff

                  >If you would like to give it a go on OSX you can try this link:
                  >http://www.sealiesoftware.com/fringe/
                  >
                  >Don't have the afterdark module so can't say how well it works.
                  >
                  >-Jonathan
                  >
                  >Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@...> wrote: John
                  >
                  > Can it run Lunatic Fringe which was part of AfterDark but the best
                  > Space shoot 'em up ever - your spacecraft positively whimpered when
                  > it died!
                  >
                  > Thanks again for a magnificent job on Sheepshaver.
                  >
                  > Geoff
                  >
                  > >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > >> Well, the macbook pro is up and running and the only real loss in OS
                  > >> X is some screensavers I've run for years no longer work under the
                  > >> new architecture.
                  > >
                  > >My distribution includes "Underware", a classic screensaver that was
                  > >commercial at first, and then released free. You need to turn it on in
                  > >its control panel. It runs modules as screensavers and also optionally
                  > >on the active desktop, behind windows and icons. I also included a
                  > >number of the best After Dark freeware modules. Check out "Stained
                  > >Glass" and "Luna".
                  > >
                  > >John R.
                  > >

                  > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Edward Mendelson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 14, 2007
                    If the floppy is a 1.44MB disk, a USB floppy does the trick. If it's an 800KB floppy, it will need
                    an old Mac with an internal floppy.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 15, 2007
                      Anyone managed to mount a 1.44 MB disk though USB Floppy in
                      Sheepshaver. I looked at Sheepshaver GUI and couldn't see any way to
                      do it. The disk is on the OS X desktop, but Sheepshaver does not see
                      it.

                      Geoff

                      >If the floppy is a 1.44MB disk, a USB floppy does the trick. If it's
                      >an 800KB floppy, it will need
                      >an old Mac with an internal floppy.

                      >> I am going to try an install After Dark on Sheepshaver - once I work
                      >> out how to get the software off an old 3.5" floppy disk.
                      >

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Mike Robbins
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 15, 2007
                        Hi Geoff-

                        I know that this does not answer your question, but it may be a work
                        around. Your Intel Mac should be able to burn a CD of the file on the
                        floppy. Sheepshaver should be able to read that.

                        Mike Robbins
                        Los Angeles

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 15, 2007
                          Mike

                          I'd thought that, but for some reason it didn't work while
                          Sheepshaver was running - I quit sheepshaver and the burn worked.
                          odd. Thanks for the email - it made me try again.

                          Geoff

                          >Hi Geoff-
                          >
                          >I know that this does not answer your question, but it may be a work
                          >around. Your Intel Mac should be able to burn a CD of the file on the
                          >floppy. Sheepshaver should be able to read that.
                          >
                          >Mike Robbins
                          >Los Angeles
                          >

                          >On Jun 15, 2007, at 12:33 PM, Geoff Gilbert wrote:
                          >
                          >> Anyone managed to mount a 1.44 MB disk though USB Floppy in
                          >> Sheepshaver. I looked at Sheepshaver GUI and couldn't see any way to
                          >> do it. The disk is on the OS X desktop, but Sheepshaver does not see
                          >> it.
                          >>
                          >> Geoff
                          >>
                          >> >If the floppy is a 1.44MB disk, a USB floppy does the trick. If it's
                          >> >an 800KB floppy, it will need
                          >> >an old Mac with an internal floppy.
                          >> >
                          >> >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@...>

                          >> work
                          >> >

                          >> >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • (no author)
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 22, 2007
                            Folks, I'm unable to assign WordPerfect macros to three function keys.

                            I'm running WP 3.5 enhanced in Classic (OS 9.1), in OS X (10.3.5), on
                            a 300MHz clamshell iBook. The OS runs fine, BTW.

                            If you recall from the previous century, keys F1, F5 and F6 default,
                            on the original iBook, to Screen Darken, Num Lock and Speaker Control
                            respectively. These defaults work well in OS X, but the Edit Macro
                            process in WP won't, via Classic, supersede their OS X functions. Thus
                            I can't assign my macros to F1, F5 or F6.

                            It would greatly simplify my workflow to be able to do so and avoid
                            more complex key-combos. To illustrate:

                            In WP, in Tools > Macro > Edit Macro, I click the Assign button. The
                            Assign Keystroke dialog box appears. When I press, e.g., the F5 key to
                            assign it a macro, OS X turns on the iBook's Num Lock and my key
                            choice doesn't appear in the Keystroke field of the Assign Keystroke
                            dialog box.

                            On my desktop Mac (a G4, running WP in Classic, OS 9.2, in OS 10.2.8)
                            the same actions type my F-key choice in the Keystroke field of the
                            Assign Keystroke dialog box. Then I click the Assign button, click
                            Done in the Edit Macro box and my F-key assignment works.

                            So what I'm stymied by is those handy default F-key assignments on the
                            iBook. A web search turned up lots of unrelated kibitzes & cavils
                            about the old iBooks, but nothing that helps.

                            I know that many system functions are disabled in the Classic
                            environment, but surely I'm missing something. I doubt my only
                            recourse is to redo a full-blown OS 9 install on the iBook, assign the
                            F-keys within WP and reinstall OS X.  Maybe booting the iBook from an
                            OS 9 CD to finish the key assignments ...?

                            All advice gratefully received¬óthanks!

                            JS